You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Undead, are they really that bad?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-07-02 06:00 PM EDT (US)   
In AOW, everybody seems to hate the undead.
Does everybody here too?

I hope they make us poor reanimated souls a little more accepted in AOW2.

"The humans have forgotten us entirely, and claimed the Pillars for themselves - wholly ignorant of their true purpose.
To them, I am merely a devil; the origin of their vampire 'plague'."

-Janos Oudrin, tenth guardian of the pillars of Nosgoth
(And member of BTOOIC)
Replies:
posted 04-07-02 06:28 PM EDT (US)     1 / 37  
yes
posted 04-07-02 06:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 37  
Browser just chrashed so I have to write it again:
I don`t play them, also I would scream if they would be removed.
I don`t think they sould be pure evil, I think neutral- evil would fit much better to them.
They are one of the most powerfull races in AoW( And storylike they have to be very strong), as long as there a know Highmen or Priest there.
(When I first played Undead my Lord was bannend by an Orc Shaman)
posted 04-07-02 06:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 37  
I don't like playing the Undead, but the storyline would collapse without them. There has to be pure Evil opposing pure Good.

"There are the malcontents, and do not underestimate them, for they are legion!"--Julius Caesar
"King of kings, ruling over kings"--motto of the last dynasty of the Eastern Roman Empire
posted 04-08-02 11:27 AM EDT (US)     4 / 37  
The Undead rule. I carve a swath of destruction through my enemies when I am the Undead or can use their units. I have had a single, unmedaled and unenhanced demon take down an air galley. Give me an army of demons and I'll show you victory.

I have had a bone horror with over 151 xp take out level 5 heros and an entire back up army to boot, along with a red dragon b/c I had cast fire halo on it.

Doom Priests have captured level 3 and 4 heroes and enslaved them to my command.

My wraiths have wiped out entire civilizations because there was not an enchanted strike to be found amongst the enemy.

My reapers have taken down 25th level heroes who had forgotten to build up their "resitance" score.

And thanks to regeneration they're good-to-go turn after turn.

I love the Undead for the demon unit alone. My favorite level 3 flying unit.

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 04-08-2002 @ 11:32 AM).]

posted 04-08-02 11:37 AM EDT (US)     5 / 37  
The Elves rules!

Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar... Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
posted 04-08-02 11:40 AM EDT (US)     6 / 37  
The Undead have the most powerful set of level 3 units in the game as far as I`m concerned(in AoW1 anyway).

The reason people dont like them...they smell.

Crash

[This message has been edited by Sir Crashalot (edited 04-08-2002 @ 11:42 AM).]

posted 04-08-02 12:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 37  
I think they and the Highmen are even in strength

Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar... Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
posted 04-08-02 12:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 37  
Accept the Yakamapu as equals to the living!?!!? Out of the question!!! It is my sacred duty as one of the last Azracian wizards to hunt down these unholy creatures, every last one of them!

posted 04-08-02 03:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 37  
The Undeads are one of my main enemy, together with the
dark Elves, the betrayers

posted 04-08-02 05:02 PM EDT (US)     10 / 37  
I think that the undead from AOW wonders were done very well.

I personally hope that the undead from AOW2 will look good too, and not stupid like the ones from the upcoming "Warcraft 3"

BTW-what does this topic have to do with AOW2, souldnt it be moved?

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
posted 04-08-02 05:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 37  
Good point.

*moves thread*

posted 04-08-02 05:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 37  
"Accept the Yakamapu as equals to the living!?!!? Out of the question!!! It is my sacred duty as one of the last Azracian wizards to hunt down these unholy creatures, every last one of them!2

My sentiments exactly.....Regeneration + average ability (i.e nothing very special or distinguishing)to strong melee plus good magic and anti magic units mean that undead can field an effective army that they can use for effective hit and run raids. They can engag in battle with equal or perhaps even superior forces, fight them so that both sides are injured, and then disengage and run and end the turn, then attack again.....

Well that's the theory...the reality being that if you bother trying to run away in the middle of a battle you are going to ....well...die?

And this could be relevant to Aow2 because we haven't seen enough Undead units to form an opinion...we know next to nothin about them in Aow2....

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
posted 04-09-02 08:01 AM EDT (US)     13 / 37  
I admit that the Undead are indeed very strong, but the good have all that holy crap that shatteres our poor bones. The undead have no such advantage.

The undead is the race with the coolest leaders, but I must admit they are no mach for a troop of Elves with four holy spheres.

"The humans have forgotten us entirely, and claimed the Pillars for themselves - wholly ignorant of their true purpose.
To them, I am merely a devil; the origin of their vampire 'plague'."

-Janos Oudrin, tenth guardian of the pillars of Nosgoth
(And member of BTOOIC)
posted 04-09-02 12:22 PM EDT (US)     14 / 37  
The Undead have only 2 weaknesses:
1. turn undead
2. everyone hates them, so they are forced to migrate and lose a lot of time

The solutions:
1. make sure your heroes have good resistance
2. all you need is enough mana and the animate ruins spell

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 04-09-02 01:35 PM EDT (US)     15 / 37  
Undead are good against AI-controlled races (that are too stupid to use enchanted weapon effectively, or build spirit puppets/priests), but reapers suck. Highmen are better IMHO coz their lvl 4 unit is far superior

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 04-10-02 07:48 AM EDT (US)     16 / 37  
I don´t like the Undead citys, the graveyards instead of fields look so silly...
posted 04-10-02 06:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 37  
Well, what else would you expect in the fields?
posted 04-10-02 07:11 PM EDT (US)     18 / 37  
Undead crops...?

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 04-11-02 09:47 AM EDT (US)     19 / 37  
Well, what do you think undead eat? I think they eat people and animals. Maybe they should have people buried up to their necks, like in... what was that movie...
posted 04-12-02 05:09 PM EDT (US)     20 / 37  
If I can, I'll ally my undead with Orcs, Goblins and Dark Elves. These potential allies do not react too well to wasteland areas, making the Undead Reaper somewhat problematic.
posted 04-13-02 10:54 AM EDT (US)     21 / 37  
True, but your enemies also don't like them. You can destroy all their crops and seriously damage their economy without even having to fight. With less income they won't be able to maintain large armies, so your Demons and Wraiths will have less work.

posted 04-14-02 12:29 PM EDT (US)     22 / 37  

Quote:

Well, what do you think undead eat?

Do the undead eat at all?

posted 04-15-02 07:12 AM EDT (US)     23 / 37  
Undead food: The souls of their slain enemies?

Awesome race the Undead. A kickass battering ram, physically immune unit and a flyer!

When you play them just use the reaper as a economy destroyer and follow up with Bone horrors and Wraiths.

Although their cities are a bit hard on the eye I still quite like playing them.

Bring on AOW2!

posted 04-15-02 12:06 PM EDT (US)     24 / 37  

Quoted from Falagar:

Do the undead eat at all?

I have studied the undead for what seems like an eternity but I have yet to see one of them eat or sleep. I have however heard of such things. New species, called vampires, seems to have emerged in this realm since I last visited. Rumours say that they refuel themselves by some form of digestion process…

[This message has been edited by Fisenflycht (edited 04-17-2002 @ 08:49 AM).]

posted 04-15-02 12:17 PM EDT (US)     25 / 37  

Quote:

When you play them just use the reaper as a economy destroyer

They might ruin your enemy's economy, but they're hardly an economical unit IMHO. I like playing the undead, but I don't even bother installing reapers. I'm more likely to migrate it to Orcs and produce red dragons instead

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider

[This message has been edited by Roger the Rampant (edited 04-16-2002 @ 07:26 PM).]

posted 04-15-02 01:06 PM EDT (US)     26 / 37  
Well, at least the undead are not as bad looking as they are in some other games! *cough*Warcraft 3*cough*

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
posted 04-15-02 11:21 PM EDT (US)     27 / 37  
I agree with Crash that their lvl 3 units are awesome

Wraith: PI---nuff said
Bone Horror: High life, decent stats, regeneration, and wall crushing = a durable tank
Demon: Flying, Regeneration, and high atk with high dam makes this an extremely long lasting unit. It can pour out a lot of fire power and have the great uses of flyers. IMO the best lvl 3 flyer in AOW

[This message has been edited by Tekk Zero (edited 04-15-2002 @ 11:30 PM).]

posted 04-16-02 04:50 PM EDT (US)     28 / 37  
Using Reapers as economy destroyers... well, sure. Except I only play (so far) against AI opponents, and we all know that the AI ignores economy if it becomes inconvenient. Unfortuneately, you can't turn Path of Decay off, so you're more likely to hurt yourself.
posted 04-17-02 08:32 AM EDT (US)     29 / 37  
You can solve the problem by taking the path of purity and migrating all cities. Or if you think that takes to much time, get your hands on Animate Ruins.

Of course this is not always the best thing to do, but sometimes it can be very effective.

posted 11-13-04 10:55 PM EDT (US)     30 / 37  
the undead reaper is not a fighter but a more of an expander, and the undead units are sorta weak but there the only race to farm on wasteland, and (i think) the only ones to game morale on wasteland, so the reaper is there expander and its good for killing stunned units, because of its stats its weak but there easy to resupply, animate ruins after looting an enemy town will make it undead and youll get money from it.

I learn, I gain, I grow, learn from your allies and your enemys, dont make the same mistake they do, LEARN, some units are not fighters.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Undead, are they really that bad?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames