Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unit Transfers in the Campaign
posted 05-07-01 05:31 AM EDT (US)   
I saw somebody post a question in the Round Attack thread about which units are available for transfer in the campaign scenarios. Here's how it works:

You are allowed to transfer a maximum of ten units. The computer will fill the slots starting with higher level units and going down from there. The best way to determine the units you want to take with you is to disband every high level unit that you don't want along before killing the last enemy leader (unless you need them to take out the leader's support stack after which they should be killed or disbanded). When the computer makes the choices, it gives no consideration at all to whether a unit has medals or not. I've seen an unmedaled dark elf rider get picked over a gold medal orc cavalry, which caused an immediate incantation of the spell 'Reload' and subsequent disbanding of the offending darkl elf. I don't know how the AI prioritizes units of equal level (do I want an orc warlord or a doom bat), but it does not do a very good job of it.

Managing a good balance of units will make the campaign rather easy, even on the hard setting. I never took any heroes with me, since I got much better results with a carefully managed band of lv 2 and lv 3 units that gave me a very strong start in most scenarios. The lv 4 units (as well as heroes) tend to cost the same as two or three very good lv 3s, so the choice was obvious for me. Maybe it's my style of play.

And a warning for those playing either the dark elf path of the Cult of Storms or the undead path from either Keepers or Cult: an incarnate must be in its natural form to be transferred. If you try to transfer a possessed unit, you will only pay the price of that unit, but the incarnate gets left behind. This is the only known way to depossess a unit that has been taken over by an incarnate.

Daveman, perhaps you should add this to the FAQ (albeit in a more coherent form?)

Edi

Replies:
posted 05-07-01 09:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Thanks Edi

I've been carrying over a single hero most of the time (normally half the available points) Hardly ever do I bring magic items along (except that I try to hang on to lifepath rings when playing the good guys).

I've recently been trying to bring a flyer (eagle rider) or elven ranger with me, I like the 'scouting' you can get done with them.

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 05-08-01 03:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Good stuff Edi, thank you! I didn't understand this myself!
posted 05-08-01 05:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
Actually Edi, in the Keepers campaign, 3rd Dwarf (I think) I caught and killed Melenis early (like fourth round) with a small force in one of the Dark Elf cities, thus ending the combat in a "draw" but not before the incarnate there possessed on of my giants. I still wanted the now independent city of course, so I attacked again and to my surprise the leader of the party - the possessed giant - stepped forward and offered to join me. I accepted and he did so, unpossessed. So it *is* possible to de-possess a unit within the game, if that unit is independent.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 08-21-01 06:14 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
Something else interesting about dealing with Incarnates: if you possess a hero, and then that hero dies, the incarnate is freed. But then resurect that hero... they are still possessed! Incarnate cloning?

===================================== Alphax =====================================
============= LASFS Operative #4 =============
The VoW Inn
"I'll bribe you to change the inn link in your sig." -- TDK
================================================================================
posted 08-26-01 09:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
Yeah, I noticed early on all those incanate bugs. I do not think the designers planned on this though. On the unit transfer the computer tallies up all the strong units tom go with you(Yeah!!!) but unfortunatly the computer does not allow lv. 4 units until 3 mission berfore the end.

-In omnî vincit imitâtiônem vēritâs

[This message has been edited by TekkaZeroX (edited 08-26-2001 @ 09:30 PM).]

posted 08-29-01 04:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
i was gonna mention that Tekka if only i had arived a few hours earier. but if you really need to begin with a level 4 unit here's whatya do. (i did this every single level and found it amaisingly easy to beat the computer)

a few turns befor the final battle you start summening a dragon. when it's ready to cast you attack. the next game the first thing you do is summon your ready dragon and boom, a free turn 1 flying archer who can conquer enough nodes in the first few turns to pay for it self. in at least 2 scenario's i took out a leader with this guy.

posted 08-29-01 02:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
I had something similar happen... I was able to carry over some summoned great eagles. Odd thing was, I wasn't supporting them with mana, but with money. So, depending on how you play, summon a few things before the end of the scenario if you can't produce something better. Worked rather well early in the campaign, having a level 2 flier I could run ahead and pick up important towers and such before the AI got them.

Eliandor
aka the Four Pawed Cat
or Silent Paws
posted 09-09-01 05:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
With a flyer, you can pick up those towers even after the AI claims them.

Before you win any scenario, make sure you explore every ruin or cave (Dungeons are nice, I'm using a Demon on the final Orc scenario that I liberated on United Cities).

But anyway, the single greatest item that you can transfer is:

(drum roll)

Enchanted Pike/Halbard.

One gives you +1 att, the other +1 dam. But they both have the most deadly gift in the game... FIRST STRIKE!

Last time through (playing Warlocks), I found both. All I took were them, my Leader and my Hero. First Strike is not to be taken lightly. You send your Leader into a stack of L1 and 2 melee units, and they charge him... and most of them die on the first swing.

posted 10-25-01 10:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
When I first played the campaign, I used to bring a hero with me al the time, until he got killed in the hall of heroes scenario (boy those caves are dangerous), but at the end I had a choice of heroes to take along, so I did. When I played it for the second time I didn't take my sidekick with me, and lo and behold, in almost every scenario a hero joined me early on in the game. Even better was the fact that the new heroes fitted the scenario better than the halflinghero I was towing along the first time around (for instance the lizardmen heroes with waterwalking ability in the wet maps).
The trouble with taking units is of course that they cost money in the upkeep, which you don't immediatley have. If you don't take the units, you save money, which you can often use early in the game to buy friendly troops and the cities they occupy. The big acception here is of couse for scouts, who can quickly gather the resources to pay for themselves. I never leave a level without three eaglescouts or wyvernriders if I can help it. Other units only if I have money to burn or as a bodyguard for my hero in the early stages of the campaign (ad a centaur and a unicorn and your hero-in-training's survival chances go up a treat).
Because I don't waste any money taking a lot of troops or heroes with me, I have money left over to take items. The big advantage of items is that once you have them (or transferred them) they don't cost you money anymore, and they can compensate your weak points. Especially in the first levels, your leader is a weak puppy. That extra defence point from that helmet makes a lot of difference. Later in the game you can use items to customise your leader. With his staf and shield of the forest and his ring of life, nobody will mistake my hero for a bad guy.
And finally, some items are simply to good to leave behind, like the helmet of glory, which costs only ten gold to transfer, or the elven mail, which costs forty but gives you +3 defence and +1 resistance.
posted 12-18-01 10:39 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
Right now, in he campaign, my leader is equipped with this death strike sword and some evil mask. Both are okay in stats, but the funny thing is, I'm playing on the keeper side...
posted 12-18-01 06:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
I noticed that too about the incarnates, another really cheap thing to do with the cult of storms is. in the mission where the three enemies have dark elf heroes at lv 14-ish, dominate all three of them . Then you will pretty much wax all of the undead and highmen in the next level.
(Affer Tharic rocks!) .

*Coffee freezes in mouth, therefore whacks everyone with a empty coffee cup.*

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 02-23-06 00:02 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
I really enjoyed using nordic glows during the campaign. I kept the same 3 around me on every scenario since the first frostling appearance. they do cost a lot of points when you transfer them, but gold nordic glows are REALLY useful. I always cast haste on all three at the beginning of the scenario, and they will cover the entire map in about 10 turns. They were especially helpful in those first few scenarios where the strongest ai garrisons consisted of 8 level 1s. One gold nordic glow will wipe out all of them, and even a wounded glow can hold a 3-hex while you migrate it. I remember using them to finish Goblin Rebellion in 22 turns!
posted 07-01-12 05:01 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
*Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but I wasn't sure where to ask this & I'm wary of starting new threads.*

Does anyone know how to hack transfer points? It's one of the few things that genuinely bothers me about this game. Don't get me wrong, I understand the 'gameplay vs. story' issues, but this just feels dopey- I don't have room for Bormac cuz I took some extra gold? Is he traveling in my coin purse? And the items- there isn't a bag or chest to keep them in? I can't imagine my army is carrying everything in their hands.
Concerning units, the existing upkeep issue is a good limiter in itself- the larger your army, the sooner you go bankrupt, so don't overload. If transfer points are kept at all, I think there should be separate pools- gold, mana, heros, items & units. As I see it, you don't keep soldiers in the treasury, or gold in the barracks.
This got longer than I intended, but there you go- submitted for your appraisal. Discuss as you please
posted 07-11-12 11:31 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
I'm looking for the same thing.
I've put so much work into my heroes, and now they are leveled to high, so I can only take one of them. I don't care about units or items, but I really want to keep my heroes.
posted 02-24-13 02:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
Thanks for giving these information.That will help me...

click here

If you ve been hurt, you need a personal injury attorney who will win for you Our attorneys have been winning cases for over 20 years Learn more inside
posted 03-30-13 06:48 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Apologies for the necro-post, but does anyone know what the limitation of unit transfer is?

I tried to bring a level 4 unit with me, but the game wouldn't let me do that. Even if I disbanded all other units, then the unit section of the transer resources screen is simply empty.
Is taking a level 4 unit along something that's restricted until later on in the campaign, or am I missing something?
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Unit Transfers in the Campaign
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames