Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I need a little help with the Keeper's Campaign last scenario
posted 01-02-02 11:43 AM EDT (US)   
Yeah, I just got this game about 5 days ago, it's pretty cool, been playing nonstop for 25 hours. Anyway, I started the Keepers campaign on the hardest difficulty, didn't have many problems until the last part when you finally go to the valley of wonders. It seems the computer is cheating outrageously, and i am facing highmen, dark elves, undead, and humans all on emperor setting and for the most part allied against me in a triple entente. I got 3 super heroes with level 28's but even that isn't enough to keep me alive, let alone win. Are there any suggestions for beating this scenario? I don't really want to run out and get the start guide since it's probably a rare book by now.
Replies:
posted 01-02-02 04:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
You should have a saved game named something like Name_of_the_Last_Scenario_won.acg (I think I got that right). You can reload that game and start this map again on easy, which will enable you to bring over more heroes/units.

It sounds like you are playing from the elf position...

Accept peace and alliance offers if you are given them. As the keepers your possible peace and alliances are with humans and highmen. If you can keep those up and focus on more deserving enemies at the beginning, this will help.

If you have to use the teleporters you find in your land to get to the other side and raze them to stop people coming over and attacking you, do so. The AI is WAY more likely to use teleporters than boats.

One thing that helps to know is who are the weakest empires on that map, and this is definitely the undead and the dark elves. In fact most people find it frustrating because the humans almost always kill off the undead within a few turns.

Unfortunately, to get to the dark elves you have to fight your way past what is usually the edge of the human empire... if you go directly south, and then cross the river on the last (most southerly) bridge to the west, you will find the dark elves down there. It should be easiest for you to take them out. The undead are located almost directly west of you from the elf position.

Explore the crypts and monster lairs all around, there are loads (I think too many) of powerful items in them.

The humans probably have the most armies and land and are the most difficult to conquer. I usually save them for last.

I hope this helps a little...

posted 01-02-02 04:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
If you want to kill of the human leader, you can find him (don't read if you don't want to cheat ) in the underground just below the big human city in the middle of the map (below the ruins I believe...). This is what I did after reloading a few times. A powerful hero (or your leader) should be able to get down there and beat him up.
posted 01-02-02 05:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
Hmmm, i beat it on hard, but had to go leader asssains. The humans took out undead in 5 turns with a super air galley, i sent in one hero to grab all the remains. Then i sent another hero down in the underground to clean up everything down there, and then sent another one south to mess with the dark elves and sabotage whoever was winning their war with the humans. Took out human leader in 21 turhs, elf leader in 25, and then highman in 27. Kinda funny actually. I dominated one of the higmens level 30 heroes and used it to kill their leader.
posted 01-02-02 06:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
In the beginning make sure you have dominate and Wall Crushing.
My strategy:
The Undead will pose zero problem, and I have problems keeping them alive after seven turns.
The humans hate me, and I don't try to harm Gabriel and his boys.
Talic seems to never die, so you can have a panic attack now.
These were the three heroes i brought into the valley of wonders:
Jiswyn Treesong - Level 18 (All-around killing machine)
Eclo Frostbite - Level 30 (I dominated him during the dwarf campaign, and now he rocks, my leading Spell Casting hero and has cold immunity courtesy of items. Meowch!)
Menfir Oakleaf - Level 9 (He will get better, has marksmanship 4, archery, poison darts.)

If you get all three of those heroes at the levels here and get similar stuff, you should be fine.

Eclo can single-handedly take on Talic and give him a beat-down he will never forget, then run for health.

Jiswyn should be back home summoning gold dragons. Place Julia, Jiswyn and Eclo together to kill Meandor. (Jiswyn might die, ) Keep Menfir on defense, otherwise, he does jack. Gabriel will want peace and then an alliance, so let him. Then the highmen are out of your way.
The humans are a big problem.
Hope the Humans don't send Tirilius after you, because at this point he should be at level 29 or something and he will hurt. Dominate him using your leader.
Now place Tirilius and your leader with Julia, Eclo, and Jiswyn. Now to kill Joseph and Sirdanc the changed, but first, go north, to Undead territory. If she is alive, dominate Elwyn. Another big gun to your stack. At this point pick up Menfir Oakleaf, he will be handy in the upcoming battle.
Now, if Sirdanc the changed gets in your way, dominate him or kill him. (he isn't that big of a help, but he can be useful.)
Cripple the humans by razing all thier towns and everything in the center, but remember to have a huge army of nature elementals at the ready.

Remember, your leader has wall crushing, so find Joseph's underground city and raze everything in the underground area exept the town. All of your heroes should be in one stack, and then kill the human leader.

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.

[This message has been edited by Cynon (edited 01-02-2002 @ 06:15 PM).]

posted 01-02-02 06:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
I did a diff tactic than you suggessted. I brought Bandir, the melee killer dude with 30 levels and not one point wasted on spell casting. Basically, Bandir by himself could handle the dark elves, Elric could handle the Humans and highmen by smashing every stack that came his way and Julia just basically went around summoning dragons and killing enemy leaders. I never upgrade my cities because my superheroes push the front so far ahead of them that by the time they are upgraded, it's kinda worthless because the battle is so far away. Funny thing is i didn't even support my heroes with stacks, just let em summon gold dragons and syrons, and the occasional dominated being. Those Air Galleys are quite mean in my opinion though. Had to reload from an "easy" FC that turned into death for my heroes and do it tactically.

I thought it was a bit cheap how the Humans managed to pay for everything and support some huge huge armies even after i decimate the economy. Ah well, Emperor setting is kinda like that.

EDIT Beldin=Bandir Too many fantasy books i get my dwarfs confused. Bandir came with some kick butt starting melee stats so i turned him into a complete melee fighter that could take down anything this side of the valley.

[This message has been edited by UNK_Slasher (edited 01-02-2002 @ 07:31 PM).]

posted 01-02-02 07:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
Who the heck is Beldin?
Do you mean Bandir the fiery or what?
I did it with Eclo Frostbite, I find that dwarves are too slow.

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 01-02-02 08:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
UNK_Slasher: this is a bit OT, but since you've already won... If you've beaten the Keeper campaign on Hard in five days on your first go you sound like a perfect candidate to help play-test my Hero Class Library. There's a beta version in the Misc Downloads section, but I've been testing it myself in the Cult campaign and have fixed a few problems but I now the maps well enough I'm not sure what effect I'm having. I also include now the opening scenarios for both Cult and Keeper campaigns, adjusted so your leader no longer starts out 45SP in the hole but after that you'll be on your own. This will probably be my final release candidate, but so far I've gotten very little feedback and unlike some people I can't spend 24 hours a day on the game. I'd appreciate it if you could post your email address, or wait a couple days til I get the update to Angel Draco and give it a try. Same thing goes for Cynon and anyone else interested.
posted 01-02-02 08:16 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
I'll wait till you give it to draco, but i got to return to my work after winter break is finished with.
posted 01-02-02 08:23 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Break from work? Oh, wait a minute... yeah... I remember those. But in my care-free student days Anyway just finished mailing it to Draco, so should be available soon. I sure hope I got all the bugs out, and that the Orc Cleric stays fixed this time!

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » I need a little help with the Keeper's Campaign last scenario
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames