Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Lightning Altars Are Brutal
posted 11-21-01 01:02 AM EDT (US)   
That's right! (As if everyone didn't already know! ) The most dangerous altar around, but damn if I wasn't still surprised yesterday! One of my stacks with a galleon in it got hit by one, and the ship took 12 points of damage! What's the highest you've seen?

Edi

Replies:
posted 11-21-01 04:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
Ofcourse, but that's no news either. Lightning altars are more pratical than other altars too. Hoorah for lighning altars!

Steel Monkey
posted 11-21-01 06:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
He didn't say it WAS news, and you haven't answered his question, either

Good to have you back, Edi, where have you been?

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 11-22-01 10:48 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
I'm not sure but I think the highest I've ever seen was 8 or 9. Maybe more, but I'm not sure.

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 11-22-01 02:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Well, I had never seen a lightning storm do more than 7 damage, so I did some tests.
I found that normal most units will never take more than 7 damage, but ships can take as much as 14 damage!! So ships has a build in vulnerability to lightning storms!!
Now, that was a surprise!!

Kris

posted 11-22-01 03:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
I did some more testing, ships take can take twice the damage from ALL storm attacks, no other units, not even other machines or transporters, can take extra damage.

Max damage for ships and other units from storms:

Lightning storm: Ships 14, other units 7, other units with lighting resistance 4
Fire storm: Ships 10, other units 5, other units with fire resistance 3
Holy storm: Ships 10, other units 5, other units with holy resistance 3
Death storm: Ships 8, other units 4, other units with death resistance 2
Ice storm: Ships 5 (ships have cold resistance), other units 5, other units with cold resistance 3

I also found that it is defense and not resistance that protect a unit form being hit by a storm attack, that will properly be a surprise to many people.

Kris

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 11-22-2001 @ 04:29 PM).]

posted 11-22-01 03:48 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Wow, thanks for your researching Kris and Edi.....!
posted 11-22-01 04:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
Did you test on heroes with sailing, cause thats wkat makes ship different from other machines. But maybe this has other reasons.

Death storm does less damage but have a chance to curse units, while life storm will never vertigo anyone.

posted 11-22-01 04:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
You are right Raveji, It is the sailing ability that make units vulnerable to storm attacks. I just made a test with a hero with a sailing ring, and he took 14 damage from the first lighting storm...

Kris

posted 11-22-01 11:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Agreed, they always slam my units. Ice alters are tough too. Here's my ranking of damage:

Lightning
Ice
Fire
Death/Life
Poison

posted 11-23-01 03:52 AM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
Please clarify what is meant by sailing. I've never seen a sailing ring, so maybe I've just missed it, but maybe you mean water walking?
posted 11-23-01 11:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
I think he's just joking.
posted 11-24-01 01:12 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
Maybe he is...you never know.

But as we all know, water and electricity aren't a good combination, so maybe that's why lightning altars damage units on water so much.

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 11-24-01 02:54 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
I don't think he's joking. We don't just have vets visiting this forum, we have newbies too, and IMHO it is worth clarifying

When something was mentioned in another thread about using the incarnate in Tactical Combat, Frogman said that he thought everybody knew in TC how you could move from one possessed body to another

The thing is that Frogman is probably the world's greatest incarnate user, and I thought that a lot of less experienced players would not have known the point that was being made, and were probably grateful that someone had posted it

So what is a sailing ring? Let's encourage newbies to visit!

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 11-24-01 05:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
There is no sailing ring included in the game but one can make one in the editor. Don´t know what good it would make since sailing would probably have the same effect on a hero as swimming, hence making the sailing abilty pointless.

ThEJeRk

My Hotmailaccount sometimes fills up. Please try this adress if that happens: aow2mail@yahoo.se

posted 11-24-01 05:43 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
I was NOT joking, you CAN give the sailing ability to a ring in the editor (not that I have ever seen any map makers use that possibility) The extra damage from lightning alters (and other alters) has nothing to do with the units being on water, it is simply the sailing ability that make it possible to receive twice the normal damage from alters (and properly also the storm spells). Ships (and heroes with a sailing ring) that is over land will also take extra damage.

Kris

posted 11-24-01 06:37 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
So I wonder whether units with water-walking also receive the extra damage?

posted 11-24-01 07:28 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
Also sailing allows you to take advanatge of air mastery, while swimming is not effected.
posted 11-24-01 07:35 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
"So I wonder whether units with water-walking also receive the extra damage"
No, only units with sailing ricive extra damage.

Kris

posted 11-29-01 07:37 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
On the long run, I think that Poison Altars may be one of the most dangerous. As not only do they continue to do damage in the given area to non poison resistant units, but also affect poisoned units in regular battles as if they were poisoned by a goblin darter.

Aside from the poisoned alters, I like the ice alters because of their strategic use...allows the formation of ice on water...and thus allowing units without ships, flying or water walking to cross over small expenses of water.

Favorite PC games: Master of Magic, Age of Empires series, Icewind Dale, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Kohan (both games), Disciples: Sacred Land, Magic the Gathering, Total Annihilation Kingdoms, Wizard’s Crown (old game) and Age of Wonders.
Game just purchased: Illwinter's Dominions
Next game thinking of buying: RuneSword 2
posted 12-01-01 00:02 AM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
I agree with niko, pestilence altars are nasty.
That cloud really hurts.
It goes away right when the user is ready to fire it again.
Very nasty indeed.
Ice is really nice because it freezes water, lightning plain hurts . Also, death, life, and ice are nice for getting rid of terrain bonusus, such as bombing some Azracs with an Ice altar, that can hurt, also, bomb some highmen with death, hehehe...

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 11-13-04 11:05 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
each different race has a different weakness in elements, aka lighting againts lizardmen and boats, fire altars can destroy ice and most frostlings, ice altars can freeze water and kill most fire units.

I learn, I gain, I grow, learn from your allies and your enemys, dont make the same mistake they do, LEARN, some units are not fighters.
posted 11-14-04 07:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
You know, I was wondering about that.

I believe that Death Storm does 5 damage, not 4. All of the Storms except Lightning do 5; Lightning does 7. Of course, Lightning hits a much smaller area, and doesn't do anything to the terrain.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 11-14-04 08:34 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
highest damage ive seen from an lightning altar is 12 on lizard men soilders in the water

I learn, I gain, I grow, learn from your allies and your enemys, dont make the same mistake they do, LEARN, some units are not fighters.
posted 06-13-05 11:20 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
I was pretty sure I saw a lightning alter to 15 damege to a dragon boat. but im not completely sure i was until somebody siad the max was 14. *looks at krislighthawk*

[This message has been edited by SirRavenFire 3 (edited 06-13-2005 @ 11:21 PM).]

posted 06-14-05 02:55 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
Another old thread revived!
Speaking of which, I haven't seen Galo, Cynon, or Unicorn77 for ages. Does anyone have any idea what happened to them?
Is the damage automatically doubled, or is {the random maximum doubled and one added to the result}?
posted 06-14-05 03:00 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
Nice old thread. Didn't know this one existed. Interesting observation on air mastery. Air mastery doubles the effect of a lightning storm, when the storm is cast by a hero. It doesn't double the effect of a storm released from an altar thought. But casting a lightning storm after casting air mastery can instantly kill most leaders.

I often apply the tactics of multiple storms. If I have an altar of the type of storm that I can also cast myself I plan ahead to cast two storms of the same kind in the same round. Of course if you have run up a surplus of 20.000 mana you can cast almost endless numbers of storms from the same altar - eventually killing everything that isn't immune to the attack.

I think it is fair that ships should be hit worse by a storm. After all there is much more surface on a ship that the storm can attack. Also ships are overpowered because they have very hight hitpoints at comparatively low cost and those with 20 or more hp heal two hp per round when they have been damaged. So it's only fair that they should get more damage from a storm.

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Lightning Altars Are Brutal
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames