Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Round attack
posted 05-01-01 09:26 AM EDT (US)   
I was watching some of my units a bit closer in TC than normal and I noticed that round attack not just allows me to attack adjacent units, but they also don't seem to be allowed to hit me in return (as per regular attack).

Confirm?

Replies:
posted 05-01-01 10:01 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Correct. Single strike at multiple adjacent opponents with no return strike.
posted 05-01-01 11:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
I don't like the round attack personally. It might be good for when you're a lower level and dont' want to get hit back, but it's kind of pointless when you get extra strike. Plus, it never seems to hit much for me.
posted 05-02-01 02:07 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
True, but it is fairly cheap.

I've seen an Orc warlord and a higgh defense hero of mine in FC take what looked like round attacks at each other for several rounds.

posted 05-02-01 12:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
Yeah, but I'd rather take three swings at my enemy than use a round attack. The "parry" ability is not to be underestimated as well. Also, the Holy Champion ability costs just as much as the round attack, and it will increase your Attk and Dmg +2 against the Warlord.
posted 05-02-01 01:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
On the other hand, when you're low level, and fighting mostly against level 1 opponents, Round Attack makes it possible to get experience quickly (by squicking several opponents at once). And Pikemen and Goblin Spearmen don't get to nail you before you kill them.

At middle levels, Round Attack lets a hero that hasn't maxed Defense out stop those frickin' archers from leeching off hit points.

Extra Strike and Holy/Unholy Champion only help against one foe at a time.

posted 05-02-01 05:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
But...at low levels you rarely kill an enemy with a single blow anyway, so they're going to come at you anyway. Albeit weaker (if the darned round attack even hit any of them).

If I have three-four archers spaced out around me, I'd rather wack each of them 3 times to make sure they're dead rather than risking a round attack (1) not even striking them; (2) striking my own units and (3) not killing them with one blow.

posted 05-02-01 05:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
But Round Attack combined with a special strike like Lightning or Cold is great at low levels! One blow would most likely take out two of your three archers. If it doesn't kill them, at least it makes them completely harmless!
posted 05-02-01 09:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
I dont know if you guys are talking about single play, but in Mp, round attack is a great skill, or not. Round attack is a danger in multi player. Esp with the super heros. With that they can attack you with out beaing attacked back ( that is a big thing with these kids who think the only way to win is build a leader with 10 stats accros the board.) a skill for hight level heros and units, and good for comabating them as well with a lower level unit.

Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect their lives and not be subject to the will of another.

posted 05-02-01 11:18 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
Round Attack:

I take my 20+ level hero and put him in the middle of a bunch of archers/swordsmen...

then theres a pile of dead bodies around him afterwards.

Any questions?

-Stephanos

My Freeware Adventure Game: http://stephanosquest.cjb.net
The Robotech Freespace 2 MOD: http://robotechlan.com/freespace2

posted 05-03-01 07:52 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
just one.

can I borrow those dead bodies? I need 'em for my undead army. I need to assemble one here as well, since I've got the rest stationed back at the lifeline.......

ANYWAY...back to the topic.

Round attack becomes better as you head up the levels (if you arn't playing a mage char that is....in which case it would be prudent that you never have to get into that kind of range....) as you can off highly dangerous units which might otherwise whack you hard with thier retal strike.

It's been a subject of debate for some time now, and there's always pros and cons to it.

Kheldar Blackmane:
I put the
"Romance" in "Necromancer"

Two Fundamental Truths about Friendship you shouldn't live without:
"Take care of my friends, I can handle my enemies."
"Treat your friends as if they will one day become your enemies."
posted 05-03-01 11:21 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
Quote:
It's been a subject of debate for some time now, and there's always pros and cons to it.

Yes it's a bouble sided coin. It is one of the skills that makes them superheros, and destorys the gameplay, tyhen it is one of those skills that can help take on a superhero. So all theres been is people prazeing it and people not.

BTW: Blackmane i'm tried of you saying you love me now and forever

SL Admin

posted 05-03-01 11:23 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
huh, looks like my Sig wont be the same unless i put it on every computer i access?

SL Admin

posted 05-03-01 03:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
I know UBB has the reply with quote option... why isnt it enabled?

And if your sig is different per computer... whoa... it must be in a cookie!

-Stephanos

My Freeware Adventure Game: http://stephanosquest.cjb.net
The Robotech Freespace 2 MOD: http://robotechlan.com/freespace2

posted 05-03-01 06:44 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
Right, we don't have a "universal account" in place like ezBoard, so your preferences are computer specific. But we're working on getting that feature implemented.

Stephanos: I'm not sure about the "reply with a quote" option. I'd have to ask Angel Zen. Our BB has been tweak so much though that it barely resembles the original UBB.

But when you reply to a topic, you can set your preferences so that you can see all the other posts in the thread (or 5 or 10, it's up to you) and so you can just copy the text you want to quote and past it into your reply. Then highlight the text again and it the "format quote" button on the UBB Toolbar.

posted 05-05-01 02:36 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
On round attack:
Costs only 5 points and is not that effective if you don't have high damage or lightning/cold strike, but is good for several reasons, namely:
1) Allows hitting all adjacent units EXCEPT the primary target once. Primary target gets hit twice.
2) No retaliation from enemy units.
3) Allows circumvention of first strike, which is a big bonus when coming up against titans, high level AI heroes or large numbers of pikemen/spearmen

I usually take round attack for my heroes at some point, but not right at the beginning, because it isn't very effective at lower levels unless combined with special strikes. I tend to use it mainly against hordes of level ones to weaken them so they only get to hit once before they die. Round attacking typically inflicts low damage even if the damage stat is high and the second strike against the primary target doesn't hit too often, but when it does, the results are rather devastating. I once saw an enemy orc warlord take 11 points of damage from a round attack strike from a hero of mine (dmg 6 or 7+holy champion). But all in all, having extra strike, charge and holy/unholy champion works far better as long as you have parry and decent defense. And when you go after superheroes, it's usually something far different than round attack that carries the day, such as boosted up nature elementals or the entangle spell or hordes of goblin darters as a preliminary or some such thing before the main hero goes in, so I wouldn't sweat too much about it. On the other hand, if there are flying rings on the map, it's a different stoy entirely...

As for parry, it and wall climbing are without exception the first skills I take for all heroes when they level up (when playing with Triumph Rules, Warlock's Rules have a different price for them). Parry allows an effective defense of 12, since it subtracts 2 from the attack value of the opponent (against the first blow) instead of boosting defense. Wallclimbing = no need to lug siege engines -> 'nuff said.

Edi

posted 05-07-01 02:48 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Just 'fessing up a stupid mistake I made the other day, runningthrough the campaign once more.

I decided I'd give one of my heroes a chance against flying units (too many demons on the map) and thought I'd spend her next upgrade on archery, then boost her Marksmanship.

Two maps later I realised she now had Marksmanship IV, but still no Archery

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Round attack
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames