Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hall of Heroes help?
posted 09-26-02 02:36 AM EDT (US)   
Just last week I dug out my copy of AoW1, and decided to be persistent with the campaign. (Last time I went on an AoW binge I mostly played scenarios, and never got very far on the campaign.) I'm playing the Keepers, and I've just gotten to the Hall of Heroes. I'm having a terrible time with it.

I've tried everything I can think of. I've dug in to try to build up resources to build a killer army with; they just come through the caverns and clobber me. I've gotten aggressive and sent armies down to the depths to try to explore and find the Hall, and they just come behind me and pick off my cities and mines, so I run out of cash and my units desert.

What am I missing? I'm at my wit's end!

W.

Replies:
posted 09-26-02 03:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8  

Quoted from wendolen:

I've tried everything I can think of. I've dug in to try to build up resources to build a killer army with; they just come through the caverns and clobber me. I've gotten aggressive and sent armies down to the depths to try to explore and find the Hall, and they just come behind me and pick off my cities and mines, so I run out of cash and my units desert.

Try fortifying your cities and defend them with a couple of archers. That will scare off most of your enemies. They will still steal your mines and farms, but hey, you can just steal them back as soon as they're gone.

SmurfHero - Leader of the Smurf race
posted 09-26-02 06:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
I know what you mean. What I finaly did (And that changed the gameplay completly):

Just take everything with you and leave your start city. Go to the passage to caverns (the one you can get to when you go southeast from your start city), from there to the underdark (Passage is quite near, I think it was just a bit to north east, but I'm not sure). when you go down just follow the way to the south east, cross the bridge and kill the drow hero sitting in his 4hex city. Afterwards its a quite easy map.

There are some heroes hidden in this map. But from what I heard it doesn't matter wheter you find them or not since you can't take them to the next scenario anyway.

Walky

posted 09-26-02 06:40 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
What is the point of this map? Despite the fact that this map is very hard, it doesn't matter, you can't keep anything you get?
posted 09-26-02 06:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
My opinion exactly.... I'm not very happy with the amount of points you get to take things to the next scenario. I usually could only take over Devon and maybe one other hero. So I always took them. Hardly ever took an Item with me, since they were very expensive. And if you play evil: Always try to kill Anything an Incarnate is posessing, since when you take a possessed Unit with you in the next Scenario it won't be possessed anymore... So you'll have lost an Incarnate and have a Unit possibly with good alignment that will turn on you just at the beginning.

Walky

BTW: How does the computer choose what Units you can take with you anyway? I nearly always ended up with Archers and priests

[This message has been edited by Walky (edited 09-26-2002 @ 07:01 AM).]

posted 09-26-02 12:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
That's been discussed at great length; check the "Ultimate Collection of Threads" that's marked "sticky" at the top of this forum.

Rule of thumb is to disband any units you don't want to take with you into the next scenario before you win the current scenario you're playing. Except, of course, for the units you'll need in the final battle.

posted 09-26-02 01:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
I would suggest also the Flippin' Frostlings!! Help!

Which covers bothe the Hall and the subsequent Safelands scenarios.

FWIW, the Hall is quite easy to beat if you elected to take Air as your major sphere. Two spells in particular will be invaluable. One of them is Freeze Water. This can get you safely across the River and into Frostie territory early enough to eliminate them before they become a threat. The trick is to head over the mountains to the Gobbo village, avoiding the waiting Trolls North and East. If you have flyers from previous map [BTW, *always* transfer flyers if possible - they are the most valuabble units to have at the start of *any* map] send them East into snow land to harass and map. Take Gobbo village, assemble your forces (migrate if you wish) then go East over the River after your flyers. No need for boat, it takes too long to get there and Sea Serpent will sink it anyway. Take out Frostie cities, if you're lucky you'll catch the leader, if not, he'll turtle North. Either way you have reduced his economy to the point he can't hold you off, and Frosties are Nuetral so you can use their units without migrating.

Head North to take remaining Frosties, and your backdoor is secure. After that you can go into caverns from a number of places and get DE's in pincer attack, or just find the teleporter that takes you to the Hall. Taking the village there is a special victory condition.

The other spell lets you get three really nice Heroes early in the game when you can still use them, and without ever fight the Karaghs. You figure it out.

> BTW: How does the computer choose what Units you can take with you anyway? I nearly always ended up with Archers and priests

As Draco says, the rule of thumb is to disband units you don't want. however as to how the units are chosen, there have been several theories put forth but none confirmed. The best, and the one most born out by testing, is that units are moved to the head of a list whenever they are updated, and thefirst dozen units on this list are made available, subject to some limitations (such as no L4's early on). This translates as: those units which were most recently built, or which scored a kill in battle. Note in the latter case it does not matter if they leveled up - a gold medal Eagle Rider who gets a kill is still available even though he does not gain additional XP. I have used this (exploit perhaps is a better word) to carry the same pair of ER's all the way through from Goblin Rush to the finale, by building an disbanding battering rams to give them a guarenteed kill just prior to the final battle. I make them available that way, without the risk of losing them. Anything else except heroes, L3's or L4's notwithstanding, I'm not concerned with.

[This message has been edited by ChowGuy (edited 09-26-2002 @ 01:08 PM).]

posted 09-26-02 04:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
I don't know; what I've found is that the best way to win the Hall of Heroes map is to *keep moving*. If you search, especially with Dwarven Balloons, you can reach the Hall of Heroes city and win the game.
posted 09-27-02 04:10 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
*grin* looks like there are quite a few strategies to play out. Just the thing I like most with AoW: There's always an other different way.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Hall of Heroes help?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames