Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Is there a way to set the difficulty of the campaign
posted 08-30-01 04:38 PM EDT (US)   
I have played through the first four scenarios in the Light Side campaign and they dont seem to be very difficult. I have lloked for some way to set the difficulty but can't find one. Can it be changed or do the scenarios just get harder and harder as you go along?

-B

Replies:
posted 08-30-01 09:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
posted 08-31-01 02:33 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
Yes there is. When selecting the next scenario, in the screen that shows the map of the continent, click on the settings button and change them to hard. That will jack up the overall difficulty (so you'll be fighting Emperor AI instead of Lord or King and so on). You can set this for each scenario as it comes along. Don't remember if you had to click on the Show Info button first in order to get the settings button, but it's there. And as Draco said, it gets harder later on.

Edi

posted 06-14-04 07:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
So what are CPU difficulty levels for each setting (easy, normal and hard)?
posted 06-14-04 07:56 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
Squire; Very Easy
Knight; Somewhat Easy
Lord; Normal
King; Hard
Emperor; Very Hard

I have gone to find myself.
If i get back before i return, keep me here.
posted 06-14-04 08:45 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
Well if you can count a plot twist hard. When I was still quite the n00b at the game, I was playing Blackwater Lake late at night. Never mind the Undead cities lying down below, but the plot twist became a sudden shock for me.

The red star, the image of Inioch, the howling wind and rain outside, and then my decision on whether to side with the Undead or the Highmen, then, when trying to defend Gabriel, bone horrors, wraiths and demons everywhere! Aaagh! It had a huge morale effect on me, myself, I swear

posted 06-14-04 09:18 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
Sorry, my question was about campaign difficulty - that is, which CPU difficulty levels (Squire, Knight, Lord, King or Emperor) do campaign settings (easy, normal, hard) represent? Thanks.
posted 06-14-04 01:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
i don't had that impression, cause i joined Inioch of course. it was the most logical choice if playing the cult, cause meandor made a fatal mistake.

only had impression when i was still a noob was the first cult scenario, i mean i had to assaniate an elven queen...and that as first map.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 06-14-04 08:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10  

Quote:

Sorry, my question was about campaign difficulty - that is, which CPU difficulty levels (Squire, Knight, Lord, King or Emperor) do campaign settings (easy, normal, hard) represent? Thanks.

There's not a single CPU level used for AI's trhoughout the campaign, so it's not a question of what setting (Easy/Normal/Hard) corresponds to what CPU level. The effect in general is to raise/lower the starting level within each map, but as noted earlier as the campaign progresses the maps become progressively harder not only in terms of objectives and the initial number and disposition of enemies, but also in terms of the starting AI levels.

posted 06-16-04 09:55 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
'The effect in general is to raise/lower the starting level within each map'

What do you mean? Hero's level?

posted 06-16-04 10:28 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
The difficulty selection determines a few things on the map:

Starting resources-At the higher difficulty ratings you start with a little less mana, a little less gold, AND fewer "bonus" troops.

Enemy/Ally troop numbers-Your enemies have better troops and your allies worse as the difficulty rises.

Carryover-When you finish a map, I'm sure you've noticed that you can buy stuff to carry on to the next map? Well the cash on hand at the different levels is different. I was rather surprised to not be able to carry anything but my prized First Strike Lance with me the first time I played at Hard on the campaign. This is one of the biggest issues because carryover can have a big impact on your next board. I carried over four goblin wyverns once and had half the board conquered by turn 5.

AI tenacity and benefits-The AI is supposedly smarter at higher difficulty, but I would just say that it's more aggressive and tenacious. Until you knock him out of the game by winning a few key battles, he'll keep coming and coming sending flyers behind your lines to snipe resources and sending as many powerstacks as he can against you. The endgame is all the same once you get him down to a very small territory though. Instead of sacrificing L1 and L2 units to build more L3 and L4 units and summoning powerful creatures instead of junking frogs, eagles, and boars he'll just sit there with whatever he had when you put him on a 0 or negative gold/mana production rate. Since he gets more xp and more resources per turn though at higher difficulties (He'll level two to three times faster than your hero at emperor most likely), then he can have a bigger "final stack" for you to beat even if they're mostly L1 and L2 units (with a penchant for catapults over ballistas sometimes).

Overall, the carryover is the biggest hurdle to get past IMO. Really though it just makes you choose items/units that will help you the most from a smaller pool. I would have loved a first strike lance AND a centaur at the hard difficulty level, but only medium gives you enough gold .

Peace...

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Feyd Rautha
"It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed;
The hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion."
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Is there a way to set the difficulty of the campaign
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames