You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Converting AoW1 Campaign Maps to Scenarios?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-21-01 04:03 PM EDT (US)   
Is there any possibilitiy of converting some of the maps from the AoW1 camapaign into the sceneario maps we can play via PBEM?

RayB mentioned doing this several months back over in the Lifeline forum. He took a few suggesstions but the idea seemed to die.

We've got several months until AoW2, a few of the maps from he campaign would be cool! My vote is for the Serpent River! Great geography in that one.

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 08-22-2001 @ 08:58 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-21-01 04:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 34  
i can experiment with it. it shouldnt take long and ill get back with the answer
posted 08-21-01 04:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 34  
as much as i tried i couldnt get it to work. maybe theres a way that i dont know of yet
posted 08-21-01 11:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 34  
RAYB! I DEMAND AN ANSWER!!!!

RayB asked us on the ancient board, what campaign maps we wanted as scenarios. Nothing ever came about, and the dishonorable coward snuck away as though he had never asked the question!

Bah! He is not worthy to even conquer!

posted 08-22-01 00:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 34  
You know, this seems a little too easy, so I wonder if it isn't what you're asking for.

1. Open the campaign map in map editor.
2. Goto Developer -> Game Settings
3. Change it from campaign to custom map
4. Save it in your custom directory.

Doing this, I was able to start a game in the map as a scenario, so I assume that if the other players were changed to computers, it'd be PBEM-able.

posted 08-22-01 01:40 AM EDT (US)     5 / 34  
Quote:
Goto Developer -> Game Settings

???

Dude, what sort of mapeditor do you have?

posted 08-22-01 02:18 AM EDT (US)     6 / 34  
Umm... AoWed, it was bundled with the Medieval Masters pack.

You know, I've got time, I think tonight I'm gonna go ahead and fix up Serpent River so it's user playable. Looking at it, it sure is a neat multi-looking map.

posted 08-22-01 02:53 AM EDT (US)     7 / 34  
How do you go about obtaining the Medieval Masters pack? Is it sold as Medieval Masters? Coz when I search games sellers under that name it doesn't come up. Is it no longer available; what games did it have in it? Sorry, I know it's slightly off topic

May your PCs not need CDs

posted 08-22-01 03:15 AM EDT (US)     8 / 34  
I tried to search for it too, here in Sweden, but didn't find it. (Was it ever available here?)

QuestionC if you want to, please send me the AoWED.exe file, probably won't work on my AoW installation, but can give it a try, I am curious.
jiman392@student.liu.se

posted 08-22-01 05:04 AM EDT (US)     9 / 34  
... I just had a really nice (long) post, but the forum ate it...

Just goto the map editing forum and ask them about the editor. I suspect that the editor's included with the game, but if it's not, then they obviously know where to get it.

I've fixed The Serpent River and have submitted it, so I figure it'll be downloadable tomorrow.

posted 08-22-01 05:22 AM EDT (US)     10 / 34  
I have AoWED installed, but I can't open campaign maps with it.
posted 08-22-01 09:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 34  
Hmmm, in the unpatched version 1.0 of the editor, there is a "Developer" tab, where you can place things like the Ruins of Inioch's Court, but were taken away in the patched version. I'll have to reintall the game in another directory to see if I can duplicate what QuestionC did.

Serpent River is now available for download: whoo-hoo! Thanks QuestionC! Can you do the final campaign map as well?

posted 08-22-01 10:22 AM EDT (US)     12 / 34  
I tried that, but it seems that my unpatched version of AoW have the number 1.30 something. There is no developer tab there. I guess us Europeans did get an upgraded version when it finally arrived here?
posted 08-22-01 10:33 AM EDT (US)     13 / 34  
Wow, I didn't realise that my copy was so special.

I should clarify that the Developer tab is on the menu bar, the option right after 'File'.

I'll toy with the final map soon.

... and oh, I can't open up campaign maps just by clicking on them in explorer either, I have to open them from within AoWed.

[This message has been edited by QuestionC (edited 08-22-2001 @ 10:34 AM).]

posted 08-22-01 12:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 34  
Yes Thrashbarg, the European release was patched to 1.3 (and another decimal I can't remember).

But I was fortunate enough to get a US Release version imported before the game was released in Europe, so I'll try to install the 1.0 version again! I don't remember any Developer tab in the editor, but I'll find out soon enough!

posted 08-22-01 01:25 PM EDT (US)     15 / 34  
No luck, I only got the Developer tab on the Tiles section that Draco mentioned, nothing in the menu bar. And of course I didn't! Looking back a few posts I see that QuestionC says he has the Medieval Masters version of AoW.

I wish I had his AoWEd.exe to play around with...

posted 08-22-01 04:52 PM EDT (US)     16 / 34  
Well, I finished poking around with Valley of Wonders, and uploaded the map.

Incidentally, my Editor version is 1.36.54
In addition to the development menu, where I change a map from campaign to custom, I also have the other development menu which lets me place things like the ruined castle. They're different menus.

I started poking around with the development menu. I hope this isn't teasing, but this thing is umm.. powerful. First off, but this I already knew, a campaign game could be made with this editor. Apparantly it can also be used to make new mapsets... which as far as I can tell so far means new graphics, stats, units, and races.

In light of the fact that this editor is so neat and I get the impression that I'm the only person alive who actually bought this pack, I'm gonna see if I can't just zip it up and watch it work on someone else's AoW.

I'd like it if someone could get the blessings from one of the developers for this too, since I really don't want to get sued over this.

posted 08-22-01 05:25 PM EDT (US)     17 / 34  
Excellent stuff, wonder why no one have noticed this before(and told us), there are some people besides you that have this collection.

Quote:
I'd like it if someone could get the blessings from one of the developers for this too, since I really don't want to get sued over this.

I don't know, but I wouldn't worry. The editor alone would be worthless without buying the game.

posted 08-23-01 04:50 AM EDT (US)     18 / 34  
WoW.. what the hell else they put in that MM verson of AoW? you should look around, but i guess not know what the rest of us has it would be hard. And you send it to draco and have him put it up( if it can be used by us with the reg version of AoW). this could be a big thing. I can see a SL version of the campaing in my dreams....... :-)

Lord 420
AoW Combat League at Starlance Gameing
Lead Results Admin

[This message has been edited by Lord420 (edited 08-23-2001 @ 08:04 AM).]

posted 08-23-01 07:30 AM EDT (US)     19 / 34  
Guess I'm gonna have to go buy the Medieval Masters Collection tonight after work!

I know my local EB had it just before I left on vacation, so hopefully nobody went in and picked it up.

Later,
-Cay

Cay
CayMack on Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam. CayMack#1436 on BattleNet.
Visit: TrueAchievements|TrueTrophies
posted 08-23-01 02:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 34  
Nojd has been working on this and has developed a batch file to make it work so you can switch between the two editors. We're checking to see if we can upload it for public consumption.

In my best Homer Simpson voice mmmmmmmmm...custom campaigns.

posted 08-23-01 03:13 PM EDT (US)     21 / 34  
cool, after reading it again i may be premature with my excitement. what i want to know is can you make custom maps into campaing maps. That way you could creat your own(campaign. wow thats a big treat, tho i would suggest you look into legal issues with that first, might be over steaping copyrights and such. but i hope that triumph is kind to us with this we could use it.

Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect their lives and not be subject to the will of another.

posted 08-23-01 08:56 PM EDT (US)     22 / 34  
You know, after messing around with the developer options for about an hour, I'm starting to think that there actually isn't that much that one can do with this.

For campaign settings, yes, you can set a map to be a 'Campaign' type map, and you can set values like how many transfer points the guy gets for bringing stuff from one campaign to the next... there doesn't look to actually be any way of putting campaign maps together, so no, this thing can't produce campaigns.

Also, about changing mapsets, for all my looking, I can edit/create new mapsets, but I can't set it so that a given map will use anything besides the default mapset. Right now, all my experiments with mapsets has just forced me to reinstall the game.

So while being able to change a campaign map to a custom map is nice, everything else about this 'developer version' looks to be too incomplete to actually implement any useful changes, and just complete enough to cheat.

This thing probably shouldn't be distributed, if any support is still provided for AoW, then this editor's prolly gonna end up getting patched down to the standard one.

This is why the 'getting the blessings from one of the developers' thing is important, so no distro please.

posted 08-24-01 01:00 AM EDT (US)     23 / 34  
I've sent an email to Lennart Sas, asking for permission to make the three needed files available. It won't be made available for download unless he says ok.
posted 08-24-01 08:21 AM EDT (US)     24 / 34  
(cross-posted from the bug forum)

I don't make those decisions, so don't expect an answer to that one from me...

Note that anything under the "Developer" menu is totally unsupported. Use at your own risk.

(There's only one or two menu options in there that anyone would enjoy playing with anyways)...

Just FYI, there was a separate Campaign Editor for AoW...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 08-24-01 08:52 AM EDT (US)     25 / 34  
...which should have been released, perhaps under an "expansion" title. People would gladly have paid US$15+ for it, even if it was only available as a download.

Of course, I don't know how much work would have had to go into prettying it up, so the threshold price might have had to be too high, but man...

posted 08-24-01 02:40 PM EDT (US)     26 / 34  
OMG! I totally agree. Now that AoW2 is only a few months away from release, I think it would be a great idea to release the AoW Campaign Editor..even if it's unsupported!

We can create our own little support group right here!

The fan community could really use something to hold us over these last few months before showtime!!

posted 08-24-01 03:11 PM EDT (US)     27 / 34  
The main problem being that AoW never had support coded for multiple campaigns. Which means the only way you could edit campaigns would be to ocerwrite the originals. That's not something we're real keen on.

Also, the Campaign Editor was never polished up for public consumption, or bug tested.

So, I don't think it's likely we'll be releasing this program, unless it accidentally slips onto the CD of a budget version of AoW, sometime in the future... :P

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 08-24-01 03:59 PM EDT (US)     28 / 34  
Notice the clever way he suggests that we ought to run out and buy every budget copy of AoW we can find, just in case it's the one with the campaign editor on it...

Yer too sharp for us, Josh!

posted 08-24-01 04:54 PM EDT (US)     29 / 34  
Well, i'm a little disapointed, really my intrest in AoW has faded jsut a bit. And was hopeing this "gift from the Triumph God's" whould come true. Draco i say we apoint you the silcter( i know i didnt spell that even close to right but hope ya get it) general on this matter, work ya magic and get us a campaign editor. I think most of us will take the risk of unsuported, non user firendly, ugly what ever it comes like. or even release somethign that Warlock, nojd, ffbj, or the other wizards with computers can put soemthing togerther them self.

Gives us Something guys come on. And wheres lenart at?

Quote:
The main problem being that AoW never had support coded for multiple campaigns. Which means the only way you could edit campaigns would be to ocerwrite the originals. That's not something we're real keen on

You can just install it twice. :-}

Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect their lives and not be subject to the will of another.

posted 08-24-01 09:47 PM EDT (US)     30 / 34  
Quote:
So, I don't think it's likely we'll be releasing this program, unless it accidentally slips onto the CD of a budget version of AoW, sometime in the future... :P

Hehehe "oopsie... Looks like we accidentally left the source on that version" :P

A guy can dream can't he?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Converting AoW1 Campaign Maps to Scenarios?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames