Posted on 06/05/20 @ 07:20 PM (updated 07/25/20
AoW+ is a patch that introduces a large number of gameplay changes. The following is an abridged breakdown of the most notable changes:
- In the campaign, players may realign with the Keepers/Cult after playing as the Lizards.
- Race relations have been brought more in line with the lore of the game.
- Heroes join for free and independent heroes can be recruited.
- Friendly cities no longer demand any gold.
- Neutral cities can now be bought but may also rebel.
- Migrating and rebuilding cities takes longer.
- Shipyards now generate income but can no longer be built.
- Overall income has been reduced.
- Unit upkeep has been reduced for lower level units and increased for higher level units.
- Halfling Pony Riders and Elephants have been nerfed.
- Ranged attack abilities have been rebalanced.
- Unit spells can no longer be cast on machines.
- Heroes gain fewer skill points per level and Defence is more expensive to increase.
- The effect of terrain on unit morale has been amplified.
For a detailed list of all changes please refer to Changelog.txt.
Where necessary, in-game texts and statistics have been updated to accurately reflect all changes. It is therefore entirely possible to play AoW+ without consulting the documentation at all, and in fact this is largely equivalent to playing Age of Wonders without having read the manual.
Extract the archive and put all files and folders in the Age of Wonders root directory. No files will be overwritten unless AoW+ has previously been installed.
AoW+ requires Age of Wonders version 1.36.53 or 1.36.54. AoW+ has been tested only with the retail and GOG distributions and may or may not work with other distributions.
To start the game, simply run the AoW+ shortcut in the Age of Wonders root directory.
Alternatively you can move AoW+.exe and all DLL files to the Age of Wonders root directory and run AoW+.exe directly with Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode enabled.
The version number in the bottom right corner of the main menu indicates whether you are running AoW+.
Aow+ is primarily an engine patch and as such largely compatible with mods that modify only resource files including the HSS. For more in-depth information please refer to Mods.txt.
Installing AoW+ to a non-retail distribution may cause the game language to change; in this case you can force a language in the registry by navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Triumph Studios\Age of Wonders\General and setting Language to 1 (for English).
Modified campaign texts are only available in English. It is therefore recommended to set the game language to English when playing the campaigns.