You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.299 replies, Sticky
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
Bottom
Topic Subject:My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
Unknown250
posted 12-05-08 00:18 AM EDT (US)         
So I have no idea how practical or achievable this is, but I felt like just talking about it since I think it's a cool idea.

I was thinking about how cool it would be if we were to do some sort of PBEM campaign where we went through all the dev-made scenarios that came with the game, in chronological order (so beginning with Blood Isles), with each player assigned to a different race. Each player represents this race throughout the campaign, and joins in on every map that there race is represented on. This means that whoever plays Humans, Elves, Halflings, Goblins, etc, will get a whole bunch of games, while those who play Highmen, Lizards, etc, will play fairly rarely. After each game, races will be given points depending on its outcome - the race with the most points at the end (or whenever everyone calls it quits) would be declared the dominant faction of the Valley of Wonders. Larger maps might be glossed over to save time (i.e. After the Fall, Oracle's Eye) - unless there is a large demand to do those maps. I'll admit that After the Fall would be a lot of fun in this kind of context, but it might just bog things down too much.

Players could even conduct diplomacy outside of games - for example, perhaps the Elves would want to form a consistent alliance with the Halflings, so that they always go into maps with the expectation that they will ally with one another. This could even see factions arise - the Elves, Halflings and Dwarves band together, only to be matched by an alliance of Dark Elves, Orcs and Goblins. However, the treacherous Goblins abandon their masters to join the more promising Human-Azrac coalition. Perhaps rivalries between factions could erupt - the Undead form an alliance with the Dark Elves in game, but refuse to join their faction outside of the game, so the Dark Elves issue a "join or die" ultimatum. Or let it slide. Who knows?

I'm aware that having twelve commited players to do this is unlikely, so we would probably cut out races starting with the least present. Also the scoring system introduced would have to make sure that races are balanced depending on how present they are (perhaps + x points for victory and - x points for defeat? That way races who are in almost every map would have a higher chance at getting more points, but also a higher chance of losing some). Anyway, what do you think? Is it plausible? Or just a pipe dream?
AuthorReplies:
Deroman
posted 02-22-09 04:11 PM EDT (US)     61 / 299       
Dictate #2, Late February 2009.

Final Playerlist:
Humans - Slipkyes Slipkyesbass(at)gmail(dot)com
Azracs - Albaron albaron(dot)aow(at)googlemail(dot)com
(incase Unknown returns (within a reasonable time), moves to Highmen)
Lizardmen - CrazySlyHawk emacfallon(at)hotmail(dot)com
Frostlings - Draco francis(dot)cermak(at)dupageco(dot)org
Elves - PawelS pstrz(at)o2(dot)pl
Halflings - Gandalf the White gandalf_the_mapmaker(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk
Dwarves - Froster branneji(at)yahoo(dot)ca
Highmen - [AI or sub]
Dark Elves - Deroman ragederoman(at)luukku(dot)com
Orcs - Thorongil th0r0ngil(at)hotmail(dot)com
Goblins - Enginerd mjschuck(at)fidnet(dot)com
Undead - TuoDrable brechtneyrinck(at)telenet(dot)be

Subtitute List:
Unknown250 unknown(at)unknown(dot)unknown
Alphonze Dusial56(at)yahoo(dot)com

Player positions are thus filled, although we may (already) need subtitutes alot throughout the game.
Open(ed) positions will be announced. Any & Every AI will be put on highest level (Emperor). Feel free to assign for subtitute anytime you feel like.

Plan (well, atleast my plan) is to get this game started around the first days of next month (march). Players have time to forge alliances, form factions or just threaten/emit others with their great powers until then. Every player who does not do any of pre-game diplomacy will enter in the first map with unknown relations to all other players (unless another player declares war on that player).
Now I need every player of the game to tell their email adresses in here (I recommend to use form: yourname(at)yourmail(dot)com/net/org... and so on) or alternatively send them to my email (adress: Ragederoman(at)luukku(dot)com, use header: PBEM CAMPAIGN, so I won't accidently trash it as spam). This way eighter me or PawelS can make this game actually happen in realistic timeframe. If a player fails to inform his email adress and it can't be found anywhere by neighter me or PawelS to the time given, player will be automaticly forced into Subtitute List and his/her race will be given to first willing subtitute or alternatively AI.

I have spoken.

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 03-01-2009 @ 02:34 PM).]

TuoDrable
posted 02-22-09 06:25 PM EDT (US)     62 / 299       
hey, my email is brechtneyrinck #at# telenet *dot* be
I do not wish to ally to any of the races. Let the game deceide.
Froster
posted 02-22-09 06:55 PM EDT (US)     63 / 299       
My e-mail is: branneji at yahoo dot ca

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
PawelS
posted 02-22-09 06:59 PM EDT (US)     64 / 299       
The Dwarves are most welcome in The Keepers alliance. Let us be friends forever!

We parted with our dark cousins for a reason. There is no return to the times of the Inioch's Court. The offer of the Dark Elves is declined.

pstrz(at)o2(dot)pl

Btw what's the point of declaring war between games? Unlike an alliance, having a war from the start of a game doesn't seem to be a very useful option.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 02-22-09 09:39 PM EDT (US)     65 / 299       
my email is mjschuck at fidnet dot com
Deroman
posted 02-23-09 12:47 PM EDT (US)     66 / 299       
Thanks for the active attitude and good spirit so far lads. The Final Playerlist has been updated according to your given information.
Keep the adress's coming. I gave my mail adress if you feel like not giving out your personal email adress out in public, or in case there is somekind of need to ask or contact me about anything troubling.

Pawel, I have fowarded an email to you, if you are not possible to forfill the request mail me and I'll try to do my best. Also, there is actually no other point in declaring wars in middle of game, than a story-driven one. As we look what happened in Valley of Wonders history that led to destruction of Inioch's court and the Elves division according to AoW story, war on men is more of a story-driven quest for the Dark Elves than impulsive choise.

Alphonze 56
posted 02-25-09 02:00 PM EDT (US)     67 / 299       
Yeah! That sounds boss! Please put me on the list for subsitute players, as I can be relatively active, my email address for use is Dusial56(at)yahoo(dot)com.
CrazySlyHawk
posted 02-26-09 11:56 AM EDT (US)     68 / 299       
He has spoken!

emacfallon at hotmail dot com

Token Irish Gamer!
Gandalf theWhite
posted 02-26-09 12:37 PM EDT (US)     69 / 299       
Hereby I announce, as the leader of the Elves, that I'm going to form The Keepers alliance. It's open for all good and neutral races.
As the speaker and Thain - in - Chief of United Cities, Toadstole Vale and all Halfling communities of Blessed Continent, I would like to ask for being allowed into the Keeper alliance, so that old friendship of Halflings and Elves and other Good races may be mantained, and safety of our citizen be assured. Same shall apply to Dwarven race under Lord Froster, whose people are and shall remain our natural allies.

[c]The Final Playerlist has been updated according to your given information. Keep the adress's coming.
gandalf_the_mapmaker(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk Didn't you already know it before, Dero?
PawelS
posted 02-26-09 01:35 PM EDT (US)     70 / 299       
Our alliance is growing! We gladly welcome the Halflings.

The addresses of Slipkyes and Draco can be found here:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,2981,,60

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Deroman
posted 02-26-09 04:13 PM EDT (US)     71 / 299       
There is no way I could have known it Gandalf..

Updated this far.

Froster
posted 02-26-09 05:27 PM EDT (US)     72 / 299       
Albaron and Thorongil's emails are in their profiles.

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)

[This message has been edited by Froster (edited 02-26-2009 @ 05:31 PM).]

PawelS
posted 02-26-09 05:40 PM EDT (US)     73 / 299       
Albaron uses a different email address than is his profile, it's in the Napoleonic Wars thread.

Thorongil's address in profile is correct.

Is the Unknown's address that you listed real?

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 02-26-2009 @ 05:41 PM).]

Deroman
posted 02-27-09 09:20 AM EDT (US)     74 / 299       
Albadron updated, haven't heard from Thorongil is such a long time that I want him to confirm that he is still into this himself, eighter by email or "some other way" (e.g. saying something in this thread).. in case this does not happen in matter of some days, we must submit his place with Alphonze. Considering the scale of this game, we can't afford to start a game without knowing that everyone in it are actually "reasonably activitely" commited to it. Game getting stalled because of 1 player is just bad planning, and I don't plan to plan bad.

Edit: Pawel, I won't be adding Unknowns email adress here if he himself doesn't grant me permission. We must honour his wish to remain Unknown, in case there might be one.. (ok, I'm not really sure about his gaming adress eighter, but that is beside the point)

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 02-27-2009 @ 09:24 AM).]

Thorongil
posted 02-28-09 06:32 PM EDT (US)     75 / 299       
yep. th0r0ngil at hotmail dot com

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
Deroman
posted 03-01-09 02:35 PM EDT (US)     76 / 299       
Thorongil updated, the game will be launched within few days now, prepare.

Deroman
posted 03-04-09 05:11 PM EDT (US)     77 / 299       
Finally the patience bears fruit. As promised, three first campaign maps have been launched and set up. In two occasions, as Elves and Goblins, PawelS and Enginerd are both in two campaign maps in the same time, and if this is too mutch say it now when I can still make significant difference to it. Concerning the rules, we should discuss here how to avoid 6 vs 1 kind of situations, where one player is totally bashed by success-rate hungry alliance? I have some plans to this, but before making another dictate, maybe someone else has anykind of idea (good or bad, doesn't matter in this topic )? And another thing to consider, as it *seems* to be me who is setting up all the games and altering the maps (removing races from fixed AI and doing diplomatic settings, balancing the gold and mana resources equal..), does it make any of you feeling uneasy that I play in the same game? I can give my word of honour that I will play by the rules and etiquette (and for example not adding myself 1000extra gold income during these neccessary edits ), but if this word is not trustful enough (as I can understand if it's not), speak now and I will give up the Dark Elfs for greater good.

Aswell, let's not forget who we are to thank for all of this. When he comes back, all hail the Unknown!

Deroman
posted 03-04-09 05:17 PM EDT (US)     78 / 299       
Viva la Double Postage!
Considering the width of this Game Campaign, I think you should sticky this tread Enginerd (if you can).

CrazySlyHawk
posted 03-04-09 05:28 PM EDT (US)     79 / 299       
For a moment there, I thought you were launching all the games at once!

Fair play Dero for including the Lizards in Kin Slayers. I will do everything I can to help keep this campaign going -oh, and cheers to the Unknown!

Don't be ridiculous on the necessary edits, I'd take your word anyday.

Token Irish Gamer!
PawelS
posted 03-04-09 05:31 PM EDT (US)     80 / 299       
About the 6vs1 situations: I think we can add a rule that the winning alliance can't consist of more than half the players on map. If there are more members of one alliance than half of the players, they could declare a 'limited war' (limited to one map). It's just an idea, it's up to you to think about the details

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Deroman
posted 03-06-09 11:05 AM EDT (US)     81 / 299       
I like the restricting of alliance rule you suggest Pawel, but if people outside of it can declare "limited wars", it doesn't do any good to prevent the 6vs1 situations.

PawelS
posted 03-06-09 11:12 AM EDT (US)     82 / 299       
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, so I'll clarify: My "limited war" idea is intended to break an alliance temporarily if it's too big. For example if on a 4-player map 3 players belong to the same "permanent alliance" (signed outside of the game), one of them should declare "limited war" and offer an alliance to the 4th player only on this map.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 03-06-2009 @ 11:14 AM).]

Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 03-06-09 10:46 PM EDT (US)     83 / 299       
Thread has been stickied per request, I also took the liberty to slightly modify the title so it makes it a bit clearer but still familiar to the one that was started.

I'm not worried about you setting up the games you play in.
Deroman
posted 03-07-09 07:38 AM EDT (US)     84 / 299       
Thanks Enginerd. Good work with the more clarified title and stickying.
Pawel: Although that idea would basicly make the game balanced, it can make the game very artifical at times if we consider character going. And how trustworthy would it be for the 4th player if one of his enemies leaps to ally with them against his natural/solid allies? Would it be all for personal gain, or does the leaper "intentionally" lose so that his alliance gains points towards the eventual domination of Blessed Continent? Aswell, the rule would conflict with one of the most important aspects of the game: total freedom of choise (if we interpret Unknown's post, I think that is one of the main aspects).

I suggest somekind of penalty to successrate of the map, but not quite sure how it should be done yet.

PawelS
posted 03-07-09 10:10 AM EDT (US)     85 / 299       
Yes, an alternative solution would be lowering the success rate if the alliance is too big, for example a game where the winning alliance is more than half of the players can count only as "half-success".

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Slipkyes
posted 03-07-09 11:46 PM EDT (US)     86 / 299       
hey guys I've been away for a coulpe months, but I'm glad I was kept a spot in this master plan, I got the turn and it will be played and sent by tommorrow. So hold on I'm a bit confused by all that has happened in my absence, is everyone declaring war on us humans?
PawelS
posted 03-08-09 06:44 AM EDT (US)     87 / 299       
is everyone declaring war on us humans?
No, only the Dark Elves.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Deroman
posted 03-08-09 03:02 PM EDT (US)     88 / 299       
I was thinking something mathematically rational, but I trashed the idea because it could have made the game too hard/calculative. So, your suggestion sounds great. So from now on, including the games going, this rule applies.

..And to keep most important part of the thread bumped:
Final Playerlist:
Humans - Slipkyes Slipkyesbass(at)gmail(dot)com
Azracs - Albaron albaron(dot)aow(at)googlemail(dot)com
(incase Unknown returns (within a reasonable time), moves to Highmen)
Lizardmen - CrazySlyHawk emacfallon(at)hotmail(dot)com
Frostlings - Draco francis(dot)cermak(at)dupageco(dot)org
Elves - PawelS pstrz(at)o2(dot)pl
Halflings - Gandalf the White gandalf_the_mapmaker(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk
Dwarves - Froster branneji(at)yahoo(dot)ca
Highmen - [AI or sub]
Dark Elves - Deroman ragederoman(at)luukku(dot)com
Orcs - Thorongil th0r0ngil(at)hotmail(dot)com
Goblins - Enginerd mjschuck(at)fidnet(dot)com
Undead - TuoDrable brechtneyrinck(at)telenet(dot)be

Subtitute List:
Unknown250 unknown(at)unknown(dot)unknown
Alphonze Dusial56(at)yahoo(dot)com

Deroman
posted 03-08-09 03:04 PM EDT (US)     89 / 299       
Has swolte or anyone (aware of it) done anything about the Enginerds suggestion?

PawelS
posted 03-08-09 03:56 PM EDT (US)     90 / 299       
What Enginerd's suggestion do you mean?

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames