You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.299 replies, Sticky
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
Bottom
Topic Subject:My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10  Next Page »
Unknown250
posted 12-05-08 00:18 AM EDT (US)         
So I have no idea how practical or achievable this is, but I felt like just talking about it since I think it's a cool idea.

I was thinking about how cool it would be if we were to do some sort of PBEM campaign where we went through all the dev-made scenarios that came with the game, in chronological order (so beginning with Blood Isles), with each player assigned to a different race. Each player represents this race throughout the campaign, and joins in on every map that there race is represented on. This means that whoever plays Humans, Elves, Halflings, Goblins, etc, will get a whole bunch of games, while those who play Highmen, Lizards, etc, will play fairly rarely. After each game, races will be given points depending on its outcome - the race with the most points at the end (or whenever everyone calls it quits) would be declared the dominant faction of the Valley of Wonders. Larger maps might be glossed over to save time (i.e. After the Fall, Oracle's Eye) - unless there is a large demand to do those maps. I'll admit that After the Fall would be a lot of fun in this kind of context, but it might just bog things down too much.

Players could even conduct diplomacy outside of games - for example, perhaps the Elves would want to form a consistent alliance with the Halflings, so that they always go into maps with the expectation that they will ally with one another. This could even see factions arise - the Elves, Halflings and Dwarves band together, only to be matched by an alliance of Dark Elves, Orcs and Goblins. However, the treacherous Goblins abandon their masters to join the more promising Human-Azrac coalition. Perhaps rivalries between factions could erupt - the Undead form an alliance with the Dark Elves in game, but refuse to join their faction outside of the game, so the Dark Elves issue a "join or die" ultimatum. Or let it slide. Who knows?

I'm aware that having twelve commited players to do this is unlikely, so we would probably cut out races starting with the least present. Also the scoring system introduced would have to make sure that races are balanced depending on how present they are (perhaps + x points for victory and - x points for defeat? That way races who are in almost every map would have a higher chance at getting more points, but also a higher chance of losing some). Anyway, what do you think? Is it plausible? Or just a pipe dream?
AuthorReplies:
TuoDrable
posted 01-05-09 12:17 PM EDT (US)     31 / 299       
Hey, I tested out these 3 other maps (cause I will be playing 2 of them with Undead) and they are not that high quality. The maps are huge, there are few cities and the only thing you actually do is get frustrated because it takes 10 turns to get your army's to the enemy...
PawelS
posted 01-07-09 08:45 AM EDT (US)     32 / 299       
Strange, Unknown has appeared in other parts of this forum, but not here...

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Unknown250
posted 01-07-09 09:17 AM EDT (US)     33 / 299       
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't really had a chance to get into this, up until the last couple of days I've been pretty busy. I never got an e-mail from Enginerd but Thorongil contacted me over MSN, which was nice of him, and reminded me of this. Pawel if you want to take things over be my guest, I don't have a lot of time and I'd rather see someone else do it than try doing it myself and end up bogging things down. If you'd like I can send you a PM detailing my thoughts on it and some of the issues I'd run into planning it and how I got around them.

EDIT: As far as races go, I could take Azracs if that makes your decision easier, Enginerd hahaha. They only play on five maps, the first one (Blood Isles) I'd have time for, and the second one isn't until a while after, so they'd fit my schedule nicely. It's up to you if you're down with Goblins or not.

[This message has been edited by Unknown250 (edited 01-07-2009 @ 09:20 AM).]

PawelS
posted 01-07-09 12:50 PM EDT (US)     34 / 299       
@Unknown: Nice to see you here again, please send your thoughts to me (AFAIK this forum does't allow PMs, you can just send me an email, the address is in my profile).

I'm going to resolve the "controversies" (like using the extra maps or not) by voting.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Gandalf theWhite
posted 01-07-09 01:54 PM EDT (US)     35 / 299       
I'm glad to hear to hear that it's getting started, but since I haven't got a DVD drive*, I guess I'll have to resign from playing, or at least be replaced by someone as stub in the first game...

*See my last posts in absentee notes thread
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-07-09 02:26 PM EDT (US)     36 / 299       
@unknown - I pulled your private email from your profile (those of us with wings can do that but I won't post it here). Check your profile and update your email if it's old, I probably used an old one... or... I'm stuck in your spam filter

.... and... I'll play whatever race

@Gandalf - I'm sure we can find a sub for a few turns... it will only be two weeks until you get your new drive anyways. (must bug gandalf about his new drive in two weeks)
Deroman
posted 01-07-09 03:37 PM EDT (US)     37 / 299       
or... I'm stuck in your spam filter
hehe, wouldn't be too mutch of a suprise with all the "email adress hunting bots" around in these forums nowdays.

Gandalf, Im sure we will find a substitute for you, it's too shame if you drop out now just because of matter of weeks. Im sure you will be able to find time for some cheap cd-drive shopping in the near future.
Also, good to hear from you Unknown.

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
Gandalf theWhite
posted 01-08-09 03:13 PM EDT (US)     38 / 299       
Yes I'll concentrate on starting my PBEMs again in a time of that two weeks... Thanks all for your friendly comments!

Engineerd Yes do bug me... I've just shamelessy treated you the same way in the upcoming events discussion, so I don't deserve any mercy
PawelS
posted 01-10-09 10:50 AM EDT (US)     39 / 299       
I'm still waiting for the info from Unknown.

The first map that we will play will be Blood Isles (the Halflings are not present on that map), I think we can wait a bit for Gandalf with starting the "First Conflict".

I also think that playing "After the Fall" would be a nice idea, it's one of the things that I'm planning to include in the voting.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Deroman
posted 01-10-09 01:54 PM EDT (US)     40 / 299       
*Humm* ..Something to discuss first.
Players could even conduct diplomacy outside of games - for example, perhaps the Elves would want to form a consistent alliance with the Halflings, so that they always go into maps with the expectation that they will ally with one another. This could even see factions arise - the Elves, Halflings and Dwarves band together, only to be matched by an alliance of Dark Elves, Orcs and Goblins. However, the treacherous Goblins abandon their masters to join the more promising Human-Azrac coalition. Perhaps rivalries between factions could erupt - the Undead form an alliance with the Dark Elves in game, but refuse to join their faction outside of the game, so the Dark Elves issue a "join or die" ultimatum. Or let it slide. Who knows?
About the relations. Are there any preset relations & if there are what are they? Is it that the game starts with Elves leading the Keepers and Dark Elves leading the Cult of Storms? How about other factions / faction forming? Maybe all this (and hopefully many more) is already taken care of by Unknown, maybe not. Yet if (possibly) not, it should be before launching the game, as it seems that diplomacy and "rules" outside the games play quite big role.

TuoDrable
posted 01-10-09 02:02 PM EDT (US)     41 / 299       
I say let things be decided by the players, a definitive keeper/cult of storms relationship would limit the posibilities I think.
Because winnings are deceided by allied victory, it's much better to offer peace to Enginerd for example
Even if your race alignment is totally opposite... :-)
But will Enginerd accept peace instead of killing you and win the round by himself? If he does that, you could take revenge in the next round etc etc... :-)
PawelS
posted 01-14-09 11:28 AM EDT (US)     42 / 299       
Sent an email to Unknown.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Deroman
posted 01-17-09 06:38 AM EDT (US)     43 / 299       
If you need help in organizing this game Pawel, all you need to do is ask.. or mail.
I'll be glad to help, and I think some others might be too.

Although.. patience is bliss too.

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 01-17-2009 @ 06:40 AM).]

PawelS
posted 01-17-09 07:09 AM EDT (US)     44 / 299       
I sent an email to two addresses of Unknown that I found in pbem threads where he played, but I didn't get any answer so far. I'll email Thorongil, who knows how to contact Unknown on MSN. I need to know Unknown's thoughts before I start the voting.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
PawelS
posted 02-04-09 07:45 AM EDT (US)     45 / 299       
Still no word from Unknown. I tried to contact him by email and on MSN, but he didn't answer.

I'm somewhat busy with other things (including being a judge in the AoW1 mapmaking competition) lately, so if Deroman or someone else wants to take over the organization and get things started, I won't mind.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 02-04-2009 @ 08:28 AM).]

Deroman
posted 02-05-09 05:18 AM EDT (US)     46 / 299       
Alright, no more patience-is-bliss-game-killing-atttitude. Good.
I will take over and try to get something done within few days. Will you accept to work as my partner in this Pawel? Or the other way around?

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 02-05-2009 @ 05:52 AM).]

PawelS
posted 02-05-09 11:17 AM EDT (US)     47 / 299       
I will help you when you need it

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 02-05-09 11:37 AM EDT (US)     48 / 299       
Let me know if you want to sticky anything for this project or do anything special along those lines, change title, new thread, etc. I'll support that way where I can.
TuoDrable
posted 02-05-09 11:59 AM EDT (US)     49 / 299       
let's do it!

[This message has been edited by TuoDrable (edited 02-05-2009 @ 11:59 AM).]

Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 02-05-09 06:22 PM EDT (US)     50 / 299       
From Pawel's old post this is what I've got for the races...

Humans - Slipkyes
Azracs - Unknown
Lizardmen - [probably AI]
Frostlings - Draco
Elves - PawelS
Halflings - Gandalf the White
Dwarves - Froster
Ar Highmen - [probably AI]
Dark Elves - Deroman
Orcs - Thorongil
Goblins - Enginerd
Undead - TuoDrable

Did I get that correctly?
PawelS
posted 02-05-09 06:31 PM EDT (US)     51 / 299       
That's correct, although Unknown is unreachable lately, so maybe we'll have to find a replacement for him (or make one more race AI-controlled). I'd prefer not to do it, because it was he who started all this, but maybe we'll have to do it.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 02-05-2009 @ 06:33 PM).]

Deroman
posted 02-06-09 05:18 AM EDT (US)     52 / 299       
Dictate #1, February 2009.

Following will try to track the way Unknown has thought things to go as closely as *I feel* possible.
Following rules can be discussed and altered, but for now they work as the campaing rules.

There will be diplomacy outside of games, factions that have formed "solid" alliances outside of game will enter in game as allied by defination. A solid alliance can only be formed and cancelled outside of games, or between games in this case (no backstabbing within scenario if solidly allied). Diplomacy in games is completely free, only solid alliances and solid wars (wars between alliances declared outside of game) will determinate each scenarios diplomatic settings, elsehow everything is set to "not encountered/unknown" (Note: a "solid war" can be solved to peace within ongoing game though).
Now the following I had to think quite a long time before I ended up into this sollution to make the campaign itself more interesting and playerfriendly ("free of choise"). There will be no Cult of Storms nor Keepers unless/until founded. The race that declares a faction risen will get leadership over it (unless another race wishes to compete for the leadership). Possibilities are endless, at best we may have half as many factions as there are players, meaning that a faction can only be founded when it has minimum of 2 races. Please be reasonable though, leading or not leading a faction does not really affect on your success rate (previously presented by PawelS).
Because we have uneven human players for "evil, neutral and good races", there is no stopping for example Orcs to join together and form a faction with Dwarfs and Humans. Sure, it will be one weird faction getting alot of condemn from traditional "evil, neutral and good" sided races, but do they care is up to them. Try to be reasonable and "character going" in this too (meaning if Orcs would choose to form this kind of faction, there should be a really good reason, example threat of another strong faction).

PawelS
posted 02-19-09 10:05 AM EDT (US)     53 / 299       
Hereby I announce, as the leader of the Elves, that I'm going to form The Keepers alliance. It's open for all good and neutral races.

Edit: added some color

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 02-22-2009 @ 07:02 PM).]

Albaron
posted 02-19-09 11:00 AM EDT (US)     54 / 299       
I found this a very interesting idea.

I'm a noob for AoW 1 but if you are looking for a player and you don't mind that, I may be available.

Maybe Lizardmen or Highmen?

[This message has been edited by Albaron (edited 02-19-2009 @ 11:12 AM).]

TuoDrable
posted 02-19-09 11:23 AM EDT (US)     55 / 299       
Hereby I announce, as the leader of the Elves, that I'm going to form The Keepers alliance. It's open for all good and neutral races.
Death Voice:
I shall have your soul ripped out of your lungs.

Do humans get the chance too to join the Keepers?

[This message has been edited by TuoDrable (edited 02-19-2009 @ 11:23 AM).]

PawelS
posted 02-19-09 12:53 PM EDT (US)     56 / 299       
@Albaron: We may need a replacement for Unknown (Azracs), if he still doesnt't show up. The Lizardmen can be played by a human too, especially if we use the extra maps and After The Fall.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Froster
posted 02-19-09 03:15 PM EDT (US)     57 / 299       
I, Froster, leader of the Dwarven race, would like to pledge my allegiance to The Keepers Alliance.

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
Albaron
posted 02-20-09 09:02 AM EDT (US)     58 / 299       
@Albaron: We may need a replacement for Unknown (Azracs), if he still doesnt't show up. The Lizardmen can be played by a human too, especially if we use the extra maps and After The Fall.
Either would be fine by me.
CrazySlyHawk
posted 02-20-09 09:15 AM EDT (US)     59 / 299       
Are they the only two races left?

I'd like to play, I don't mind which race. If Unknown shows up, I'll back out and Albaron'll have the Lizards I presume. If Unknown doesn't, I can either act as his sub and replace him or take the Lizards. Whatever is going

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 02-20-2009 @ 09:18 AM).]

Deroman
posted 02-20-09 02:28 PM EDT (US)     60 / 299       
Sorry, I have been away for vacation and things have been abit stalled around before that too. Glad to see that Pawel got it all moving while I was away. I presume no complains about my dictate? (If there are, speak now or be silent forever!)

Diplomatic Actions:
Suggests an infinite alliance of ancient bloodtide, past glory and racial honour of all Elves to
eradicate every last Human savage from the Blessed Continent to the Elves of PawelS.
Declares War on Humans.

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 02-20-2009 @ 02:31 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames