You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.88 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Winter Holidays 2008 Themed Mapmaking Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:Winter Holidays 2008 Themed Mapmaking Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-28-08 04:35 PM EDT (US)         
With such great interest in having another mapmaking tournament we won’t waste any time in getting the next one started. This one will be a bit different in that it will be a “themed” event. What does that mean??? Well, basically, I will pick a theme (but I’ll need help on ideas), maps will be made based on that theme. There will be a time limit for the maps to submitted and there will be judging. So…. Here’s the starting framework

Themes, two categories.
1 - Festive Winter Holiday theme For this theme your map must have something to do with the Winter Holidays like Christmas, New Years, etc. Be creative and have fun, it will be intersting to see if we get a SP Santa story delivering preasants all over the world of if we get a frosty the snowman or something else.... I'm sure you guys can come up with something
2 - Historical theme Your map must be related to something historical. The recent map by AW called an Ode to Van Vogt is particularly inspring in this regard and makes a great benchmark. Feel free to do anything historical that peaks your interest. Again, be creative and original and have fun.

Maps will be judged based on some simple criteria (standard stuff mostly) but creativity with the theme will be an important factor.

Maps can be of any mod, any size, any type.

Timing – All maps must be turned in by midnight on Dec 31st ET
If timing gets rough for folks I can be persuaded to extend it a little bit into January. We've got about 6 weeks left and many have already started. For now we'll stick with the Dec 31st.

Judging – Something new....
I want to try something new this time other than our 3 person panel of judges. (One of the reasons is I am actually starting to work on my very first original map). I want to include you in the judging process so I'm going to try and work out a way to do a poll or a combined judge piece and public piece (like all those dance and singing competition shows out there). Anyways, I'll ask for more feedback on that but for now I just want to try something a little different.
New Comments on Judging:We will have two types of judging take place this time. We have a couple celebrity judges (thank you Pawel and Zsaber) who will judge each map and give it a score (1-10), their combined score will make up 50% of the total. I'm working out the details right now but we hope to include the comments from the judges in a thread (possibly a small chat session that gets recorded), once the judges are finished judging (it will take a couple weeks) I will open the threads for comments and all of you... the forum members will cast your votes (scores of 1-10) for each map. The combined average of the member's score will make up the other 50%. I'll then summarize the scores and announce a winner. Stay Tuned for more details on the judging and right now have fun checking out the new maps and get ready to make your scores available, in the mean time feel free to leave comments on the maps in the downloads section.

Register your map
Just enter the name of the map and what theme, upload it to the website and that will take care of it.

Festive Winter Holiday Maps
1... Toy Wars by Skout77 - (uploaded)
2... Snowflake by ThePreachr - (uploaded)

Historical Maps
1... Andelin's Quest by Enginerd (uploaded)
2... War of 1812 by Froster (uploaded)
3... Mene in Venezuela by Slipkyes (uploaded)
4... Capture the Flag by Arctic Wolf (update pending upload)
5... World of Paradise by Skout77 (uploaded)

Please post your comments below and as decisions are made the main topics above will be updated.

Let the fun begin!

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 01-04-2009 @ 03:51 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
sKout77
posted 12-21-08 06:28 PM EDT (US)     61 / 88       
I really tried my best to finish my newest map 'World of Paradise' in time. I have uploaded it and I ask you to please register it to the 'historical' category of the winter competition, if you feel that it meets the requirements.

I am afraid I wont be able to help judge the other maps, as I will be leaving for home soon and won't have access to aow for a month or so.

Thank you Heavengames crew for making this competition possible, cheers and happy winter holidays to everyone!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 12-25-08 08:59 PM EDT (US)     62 / 88       
Well.... I'm getting close to finishing my map. There is soooo much I'd like to do to it but fear I won't have time. All structures and places are set, I've prettied up the landscape and just about got everything in place, so the map is essentially done. All I lack are some of the finishing touches like... custom items and heroes, a few more signs and message events.... I probably won't have a chance to make as many as I'd like

Well... I must do some playtesting as I'd really like to play through at least once before I submit it .

Hope all of you are doing well on your maps.

Less than one week to go!
sKout77
posted 12-28-08 04:08 PM EDT (US)     63 / 88       
is 'World of Paradise" historical enough to be registered to the competition?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 12-28-08 06:31 PM EDT (US)     64 / 88       
Sure, we can add it to the list and when the official judging takes place they can judge whether it fits or not. I'd rather have it in there than not
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 12-29-08 09:48 PM EDT (US)     65 / 88       
Wheh.... uploaded my map (it should appear in a day or so) what an adventure that was to finish. Hope you all enjoy it.
Slipkyes
posted 12-29-08 10:25 PM EDT (US)     66 / 88       
My map is almost done, I'll barely make it to the deadline, lost a lot of time in vacations hangin out with my girlfriend and friends. Only a few cities to name and I'll upload after a quick playtest tommorrow. good luck and merry christmas to everyone!
Froster
posted 12-29-08 10:40 PM EDT (US)     67 / 88       
I should get mine done in time, as I only have a bit of terrain to still make. I'll probably get it in for midnight.

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)

[This message has been edited by Froster (edited 12-29-2008 @ 10:44 PM).]

Slipkyes
posted 12-30-08 08:19 PM EDT (US)     68 / 88       
I just uploaded my map. I wish could've had it playtested by someone with more experience than myself but time passed ahead of me and I didn't even notice. Well I'll wait for it to appear, and good luck to everyone!

edit: I'm sorry after I uploaded it I found a minor mistake in two city names, do I have to wait for it to appear in the downloads section to update it? or is it possible that someone can help me to re-upload the file with the mistake taken care of?

[This message has been edited by slipkyes (edited 12-30-2008 @ 11:22 PM).]

Gandalf theWhite
posted 12-31-08 03:28 PM EDT (US)     69 / 88       
I hate to say this, but I didn't manage with my festive map so it won't be uploaded for the competition (Engineerd please remove it from the list). I was helping Arctic Wolf with his campaign project for the same category, but since he remains silent for some days by now it's not going to be finished on time, and therefore I'm not taking part in the competition
I will try to take part in judging, though
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 12-31-08 04:56 PM EDT (US)     70 / 88       
@ Slipkyes - yes, there is a way to update your map once it is uploaded. Not sure if you can do it before it shows up though. I'll check on it.

@Froster - Great news, (even if you're a several hours late we won't worry about it, we'll all be sleeping in tomorrow anyways )

@Gandalf - sad news... but we'll certainly enjoy the map when it is completed.

@Enginerd - wow... 10 downloads and no comments yet
Froster
posted 01-01-09 01:17 AM EDT (US)     71 / 88       
I can get it in for noon EST today (11 hrs from now).

Happy New Year!

Jim Brannen
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-01-09 02:20 AM EDT (US)     72 / 88       
That will work.

Happy New Year!
sKout77
posted 01-01-09 12:14 PM EDT (US)     73 / 88       
yeah i haven't been getting any comments on my last 3-4 maps either...

how bout you throw me a comment and i'll throw you one when i get back to my pc in a few days

Happy New Year!

[This message has been edited by sKout77 (edited 01-01-2009 @ 12:14 PM).]

Arctic Wolf
posted 01-01-09 02:56 PM EDT (US)     74 / 88       
I see the updates I uploaded for Capture the Flag were never posted (received). The update was uploaded on Christmas day but I guess it never made it to the forum. I will try to redo it tonight. There are four fixes: 1 extra hero to make the game balanced; Teleports direct traffic to the reflecting pools rather than to other teleports. A change in which cities to capture and one shipyard guild which mysteriously became a builders guild.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-01-09 05:09 PM EDT (US)     75 / 88       
Asked Swolte to check into it.... oh... you've got two versions in the dl section. I'm assuming it is the latest map that we want to use, right?

Header has been updated too (I missed the toy wars map, Skout snuck that one in weeks ago, must go see what it looks like). Congrats to Skout, looks like he'll win the Holiday theme by default No worries... we'll still judge it (and probably have one combined group)

Oh.. I do want to announce a quick thing on the judging... I've got two celebrity judges to help us out before we have the public judging take place. I'd like a big round of applause for.....

Pawel and Zsaber

More details coming on the judging.... it will be fun but for now just download and enjoy the maps.
sKout77
posted 01-01-09 06:53 PM EDT (US)     76 / 88       
Well what can I say... winning the winter holiday themed competition would be a lot for a map that took less than an hour to make :P

The map I would really appreciate some comments on is World of Paradise, took me a pretty long while to get it done. And it's still not done yet... if I get to my pc before the judging starts, I'll make sure to add those extra pop-up messages I wanted to add.

I'll also be able to help judge I guess, even though I still have no idea when the judging period starts...

I'll make sure to leave a comment for each map, looking forward to checking out Enginerd & Arctic Wolf's maps and also those of the 2 guys that have done really well in the 1v1 tournament (from what I read), Froster and Slipkyes.

Cheers!
Froster
posted 01-01-09 07:40 PM EDT (US)     77 / 88       
I had to update my file, as there was an unwanted Undead Wraith I had to take out.

Jim Brannen
Slipkyes
posted 01-02-09 12:41 PM EDT (US)     78 / 88       
I updated my map, fixed a couple city names that were wrong and added a few minor details, the only non-minor thing is that in the bridge there are watchtowers on both sides, so both players can capture it and give a little defense boost to their side of the bridge
Gandalf theWhite
posted 01-02-09 01:51 PM EDT (US)     79 / 88       
@ Engineerd

http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1068

This appears like ThePreachr wanted to have this map entered into the competition (he writes: ,,My first map submission. This is for the Winter Holiday Contest"), but didn't know he has to register this here. Since it appears to have been submitted only slightly after the deadline, maybe it should be allowed into Festive Winter holiday theme?

Proud author of Finbar's Quest, the winning SP scenario of AoW1 Summer 2007 Mapmaking Competition.
Btw, you guys should really listen to Gandalf, he is very wise
- Josh AoW, Triumph Studios game developer
But does he talk to himself because he's the oldest man around, or does he just talk to himself because... ya'know... ?
- Chow Guy, AoW Heaven Cherub
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-02-09 02:18 PM EDT (US)     80 / 88       
Yeah... we can slap him silly for not registering it properly and being just a few hours late... I'm sure the other mapmakers won't mind (I don't).
Froster
posted 01-02-09 06:20 PM EDT (US)     81 / 88       
I don't mind either.

Jim Brannen
Slipkyes
posted 01-02-09 07:21 PM EDT (US)     82 / 88       
the winter category is pretty much empty on maps so I guess it would be ok
Arctic Wolf
posted 01-03-09 08:38 PM EDT (US)     83 / 88       
Both versions of Capture the flag were not the right ones. I resubmitted the correct version again.

The one titled Capture the Flag 1.36 should be deleted as it contains numerous errors. The othe version is the one I updated today. These updates had been submitted during Christmas but I suspect some problems with my internet server were at fault.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-04-09 03:52 PM EDT (US)     84 / 88       
Header updated with more comments on judging. No worries AW, we'll make sure the judges get the updated version of the map.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-06-09 06:39 PM EDT (US)     85 / 88       
Small change of plans.... Zsaber encountered some RL issues and won't be able to judge the maps this month so his 15 min of fame is now over.

Disenchanted has been promoted to celebrity judge and will join Pawel (I hope you enjoy your 15 min of fame ).

We're activity working on the judging piece right now so stay tuned and I hope you're enjoying those new maps.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-28-09 05:51 PM EDT (US)     86 / 88       
Quick update on the judging... we're moving along (maybe a little slow but let's call it being thorough ).

Our experiment into a chat session with the judges was quite interesting (and fun). I'll be posting the full transcript of our first session along with other sessions in a week or so. I'm thinking we'll wait until all the historical maps have been reviewd and then put them all out at once. Still a few weeks from being completed but don't worry, we're making progress.

In the mean time... just keep checking out the new maps. Remember... you'll all get your chance to judge them and put in your score!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 03-15-09 07:59 PM EDT (US)     87 / 88       
Voting to begin NOW! Go to the this link for all the details.

Everyone... Go Vote!

Here:
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 03-23-09 11:34 PM EDT (US)     88 / 88       
Bumping the thread... so maybe you'll look at it... and remember that you need to go score the maps....

get to it!!!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames