You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.109 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Fall 2008 1v1 Tourney
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fall 2008 1v1 Tourney
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-06-08 10:19 AM EDT (US)         
That’s right… you guessed it… time for the 1v1 tourney. Here’s what it is all about…

Description
This will be a 1v1 single elimination tournament. Seeding of players will be randomized and we’ll have as many rounds as necessary to find a winner. In the most likely event that the number of players does not make a full bracket (something other than 2, 4, 8, 16, etc) then there will be some wildcard games to get us to a full bracket. I haven’t worked out the details of that piece but everyone who wants to join the tourney will be allowed entry even if it makes the brackets really ugly.There will be a max of 16 players in this tourney. I will give a seeding preference (to avoid the wildcard entries) if you sign up early. The sooner you sign up the better position you are in to not have to play that wildcard round.

Rules – We’ll be playing standard house rules and games will be treated as if they were Wizard Ladder games.

Map – Snowscapes and Mirages by Arctic Wolf - the link to the downloads section is here

Speed of play – We want players to be reliable and fast. It is understood that real life happens and sometimes you cannot play for a period of time. If you cannot get your turn played within 3 days then you must post in the absentee logs otherwise you risk forfeiting the game. There will be no subs.

Signup CLOSEDpost in this thread that you want to join the tourney. Post your email address that you want used for the tourney (ex: I want to join the tourney, mjschuck at fidnet dot com). Signup is open… it will be closed two weeks after the map making tourney results are finalized (estimating Oct 25) on Oct 25 at Noon ET or sooner if we get 16 players signed up. .... still don't have the map so we'll give it a little more time. 16 players max and maybe until the 26th???, sign up fast two slots remaining!!!

Winner – In addition to eternal fame and glory, this may be used as the opportunity to revamp the wizard ladder standings/brackets, etc and the winner will crowned the WL Champ

List of those who have joined (and order they signed up)

1... Crazyslyhawk - emacfallon at hotmail dot com Lost in Qtr Finals
2... Froster - branneji at yahoo dot ca lost in round 1
3... Dazzle94 - darryl dot peers at dsl dot pipex dot com dropped out of round 1
4... Mad87ger - mad87ger at yahoo dot de lost in round 1
5... Dan Petersson - dan-petersson at bredband dot net lost in round 1
6... Zsaber - zhengzjm at hotmail dot com
7... Blixten - johandavidsson91 at msn dot com dropped out of round 1
8... Gandalf the White - gandalf_the_mapmaker at yahoo dot co dot uk lost in round 1
9... Eriksson - poe at telia dot com
10.. Thorongil - Th0r0ngil at hotmail dot com
11.. Ecthelion_21 - ecthelion21 at gmail dot com Lost in Round 1
12.. Draco - francermak at juno dot com
13.. Disenchanted -
14.. Dafyth - Dwcarless at yahoo dot com Lost in Qtr Finals
15.. Enginerd - mjschuck at fidnet dot com
16.. Slipkyes - Slipkyesbass at gmail dot com Lost in round 1

Tourney Brackets:

Game 1 Crazyslyhawk vs Slipkyes CSH wins as Frostlings
Game 2 Gandalf vs Eriksson Eriksson wins as Azracs
Game 3 Mad87ger vs Disenchanted Disenchanted wins as Azracs
Game 4 DanPetersson vs Draco Draco wins as Azracs
Game 5 Froster vs Enginerd Enginerd wins as Azracs
Game 6 Blixten vs Thorongil Thorongil wins by default
Game 7 Dazzle vs Dafyth Dafyth wins by default
Game 8 Zsaber vs Ecthelion Zsaber wins as Frostlings

Qtr Game 1 Winner Game 1 Crazyslyhawk vs Winner Game 2 Eriksson Eriksson wins as Frostlings
Qtr Game 2 Winner Game 3 Disenchanted vs Winner Game 4 Draco
Qtr Game 3 Winner Game 7 Dafyth vs Winner Game 6 Thorongil Thorongil wins as Frostlings
Qtr Game 4 Winner Game 5 Enginerd vs Winner Game 8 Zsaber

Semi Game 1 Winner Qtr 1 Erkisson vs Winner Qtr 2
Semi Game 2 Winner Qtr 3 Thorongil vs Winner Qtr 4

Finals Winner Semi 1 vs Winner Semi 2

Race Selection in games

Round 1 games – since the seeding was based on when you signed up (I was going to randomize it and then this just sort of worked out) the higher seeded person is listed first and will play first which is the Frostlings and the second player listed will play Azracs.

Quarter Final Games - Where possible, both players will play a different race from the Round 1 games. Where this is not possible the player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference.

Semi Final Games – If a player has played the same race twice then that player will play the other race. If both players have played the same race twice, or if both players have already played both races then the player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference.

Finals - The player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference. Exception: if one of the players has played the same race in the three earlier rounds then he will get to play the other race.

Turn Logs – Please keep them up to date and post in them even if it is only with a “turn sent” comment. Have fun with your turn logs as other players may wish to read them.

Tourney Discussion thread A new thread will be opened to discuss the tourney games.(Never got around to this so just use this thread) Speculation and voting on who you think will win, which matches are the ones to watch, who is the favorite, what are the strategies you wish to use, etc. It will be an open forum to discuss things about the tourney while this thread will remain open to document progress with the tourney, results, etc

Results – post your results in this thread. Example – “Forster beat Enginerd in Game 5” (yes Forster… you will be the lucky one to play me it looks like )

(edit - added ending date of signups and max# players, added tourney brackets. Updated games finished 11/25, updated games finished 12/13, updated games finished 12/29, updated games finished 2/28)

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 02-28-2009 @ 02:31 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
disenchanted
posted 01-12-09 10:45 PM EDT (US)     91 / 109       
I'm rooting for Draco to take out Enginerd.
*Harumph* at not even mentioning the fact that he has to get through me first
CrazySlyHawk
posted 01-13-09 12:12 PM EDT (US)     92 / 109       
As above, CrazySlyHawk defeats slipkyes. Send us the Quarter game, I want to square up against the old veteran

Token Irish Gamer!
Arctic Wolf
posted 01-13-09 01:01 PM EDT (US)     93 / 109       
Sorry Disenchanted.

I will correct my typo up top. I meant to say I am rooting for Zsaber to take out Enginerd. A match which should be very interesting to watch. I had Draco on my mind as his strategy of not upgrading his 4 hex I found very ingenious. When you are as Old as I am; sometimes when your engage you brain it gets stuck in neutral.

I also stated that I thought for the most part the favourites had won round one which is a major slight to Dan. I actually had Draco and Dan as about even in my mind so there really was no favourite in their match.

But since I am not afraid to put my foot in the pile I will gaze into my crystal ball and do some prognosticating.
I believe if I was handicapping the next matches for a bookie I would offer the following odds.

Match 1

CrazySlyhawk 2 to 4 underdog
Erikkson 8 to 3 faourite

The overunder for number of turns is 35.

(This is based entirely on the domination Eriksson has shown over me in my few matches against him.)

Match 2

Disenchanted 3 to 5 underdog
Draco 7 to 3 favourite

Over under for this match at 40 turns

(No slight intended I was just impressed with Draco`s strategy in round one.)

Match 3

No comment as match is finished

Match 4

Zsaber 3 to 7 underdog
Enginerd 10 to 3 favourite

Over under for this match will be 30 turns.

(This is really unfair to Zsaber but turn logs indicate Enginerd had his magic ring and four heroes by turn 6.)

So in my apology to Disenchanted log I probably annoyed three persons by indicating my feeling that they are underdogs in their current matches. But that is honestly how I see things developing.

P.S. I am really hoping for upsets in which players prove me wrong and especially GO Zsaber Go!!

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 01-13-2009 @ 01:02 PM).]

disenchanted
posted 01-13-09 02:06 PM EDT (US)     94 / 109       
AW, I think you may have taken my comment a bit more seriously than it was intended, but I find your predictions and "odds" very interesting. Anyway, I'll just focus on proving you wrong

Or maybe I'll invite even more speculation by creating an online betting pool for the tourney. Care to test your predictions against mine? (Note that this way no one has to see anyone else's predictions unless they want to.)

Here is my prediction. To make your own, just go to http://www.bracketmaker.com and register (you only have to enter a name, which should be your name on these forums, and an email address.)

To make a prediction, first find the bracket for the Fall 1 v 1 tourney here. Then click "Predict it!" at the top.

Anyone else who prefers not to make their predictions public can put them in a "sealed envelope" of sorts by emailing them to me at disenchanted dot aow at gmail dot com.
Eriksson
posted 01-16-09 02:33 AM EDT (US)     95 / 109       
Enginerd:

Can you set up Qtr 1 between me and CSH?

Their game has been finished a while now. No rush though, I'll be away over the weekend anyway.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-16-09 12:29 PM EDT (US)     96 / 109       
oops.. checked a few days ago and thought it was still going but close to being done.

I'll set it up this weekend so you guys can start next week when you get back.
CrazySlyHawk
posted 01-16-09 05:46 PM EDT (US)     97 / 109       
Thanks Enginerd!

Btw, congrats on the promotion Enginerd - I made my sister jump when I saw that and exclaimed my surprise

Token Irish Gamer!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-16-09 09:07 PM EDT (US)     98 / 109       
Congrats on your victory CSH... you now face a tough opponent in the next round... good luck. You both will be switching sides in this next round with CSH playing Azracs this time and Eriksson playing frostlings.

Turn logs and turn will be sent out soon.

As far as predictions go I agree that the toughest match to call was the Dan-Draco match of round 1. I think there is only one real underdog left in this group and that would be CSH (no offense mate) and I have to give Eriksson the edge in that match. All the other matches could go either way so it will be interesting to see how things play out in them, anything can happen!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-28-09 05:47 PM EDT (US)     99 / 109       
Competition Update

It's been awhile since the last official update so here it is.....

Round 1 Games
All round one games are over! If you're intersted in the details there is plenty of good info above. Hats off to Draco for winning one of the toughest first round matches and Congratulations to CSH who faces a tough road ahead as the undergod.

Qtr Final Games
Qtr Game 1 is Eriksson as Frostlings vs. CSH as Azracs. This game is about 4 turns in and CSH looks to be making quick work on his side.... maybe he's already cashed in and picked up his dominate item... cryptic turn logs make it difficult to know for sure. Once again, look for the underdog to put up a great fight against the veteran... if Eriksson isn't careful he just might get toppled in this one

Qtr Game 2 is Disenchanted as Frostlings vs. Draco as Azracs. This game is also about 4 turns in and Draco too seems to be expanding out as expected. The big news is how well did Disenchanted do his first few days.... speculation mounts as to the fate of his swimming lizard hero... there is a possibility that the hero was lost in battle.... or.... the turn logs are meant to lull the Azracs into a false sense of security this early on. Time will tell the true fate of Sully. Watch and see

Qtr Game 3 was completed, Thorongil defeated Dafyth and now awaits the results of Game 4

Qtr Game 4 is Enginerd as Frostlings vs. Zsaber as Azracs. This game is about 14 turns in and has had lots of excitement. (... must go reread my turn logs to make sure I'm not giving anything else away here ) On Day 10 a bold move was made by Enginerd where he snuck into the heart of the Azrac lands in the south and captured a very empty 4-hex City .... The Azracs took all this in stride and vowed to return but it appears that they are taking their time (presumably working underground building up their forces). Will this diversion into the Azracs lands be found to be a wise choice or will the Frostlings get trapped over there when Azracs return in force? Time will tell. Elsewhere it appears that a penguin scout was killed... seems the frostlings were trying to spy up North too . Keep your eyes on this one, the fireworks are bound get exciting between these two foes.

Hope you enjoyed the updates
Eriksson
posted 02-17-09 11:54 AM EDT (US)     100 / 109       
Was going to rebuild the southern underground shipyard but my builder can't access it cuz it's placed on a water hex, intended?
Got some replanning to do now.

/Eriksson
poe@telia.com
Arctic Wolf
posted 02-21-09 03:27 AM EDT (US)     101 / 109       
Golly!!

I did not even know it was possible to put a shipyard upon a water hex. I checked the map and sure enough you are right. I then tried to put other shipyards upon water hexes and could not, the editor always made a dirt hex under the water hex.

Sorry. I guess that will have to be fixed for the next round.

Any idea how I accomplished that bit of unintended trickery?
CrazySlyHawk
posted 02-21-09 04:57 AM EDT (US)     102 / 109       
Just checked it out there, on Snowscapes actually.

Ruined shipyards can have water painted under them w/o disappearing, while normal shipyards are unaffected as usual.

Token Irish Gamer!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 02-21-09 11:16 AM EDT (US)     103 / 109       
I edited my map of Snowscapes (the one I'm using for the tourney). I put a dirt hex under that shipyard. Next rounds will have it in there.
Eriksson
posted 02-21-09 01:37 PM EDT (US)     104 / 109       
Fine.

It wasn't that much replanning actually, only needed to figure out where to send the builder instead.

/Eriksson
poe@telia.com
Arctic Wolf
posted 02-25-09 03:26 PM EDT (US)     105 / 109       
ERIKSSON BEATS THE OVER_UNDER BY 4 DAYS!!

Great job Eriksson! In spite of a bad start and a bad glitch on the map you made my prediction look good.

Also a fantastic display of sportsmanship displayed by Crazyslyhawk. You deserve kudos!!

Congrats to each of you.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 02-28-09 02:34 PM EDT (US)     106 / 109       
Congrats Eriksson, well done. Eriksson will face the winner of Draco and Disenchanted. Draco will play Frostlings if he wins, if Dis wins the tie breaker goes to Eriksson and he will get to pick his race.

Header has been updated, only six players remain (and that could get whittled down quickly as Enginerd just got thumped on in his game )
Arctic Wolf
posted 04-06-09 07:55 PM EDT (US)     107 / 109       
Wow!!

Two players taken to the brink mount fantastic comebacks. First Eriksson survives the loss of an important hero (but not the important artifact he may or may not have been holding) and comes back to thump Crazyslyhawk, and now Zsaber has survived the razing of his capitol to thump on Enginerd.

Or is Enginerd playing possum?

The map is working out extremely well as I consider this as evidence that sound strategy more than good luck is dictating the winners of each game.

Good luck mounting a comeback Enginerd, but I must confess that the prospect of a minor upset makes me very pleased.

Fantastically played so far Zsaber!
disenchanted
posted 04-14-09 08:12 PM EDT (US)     108 / 109       
Is losing one hero so devastating? I lost both heroes in round 1 and one in round 2, and it didn't interfere too much with my long-term strategy. But game 1 was a bit lopsided, and I had a lot of luck in game 2.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 04-14-09 09:16 PM EDT (US)     109 / 109       
The semi finals will soon start with Disenchanted facing off against Eriksson and Thorongil facing off against Zsaber. Only 4 remain... who will be victourious.

Games will start soon.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames