You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.109 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Fall 2008 1v1 Tourney
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fall 2008 1v1 Tourney
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-06-08 10:19 AM EDT (US)         
That’s right… you guessed it… time for the 1v1 tourney. Here’s what it is all about…

Description
This will be a 1v1 single elimination tournament. Seeding of players will be randomized and we’ll have as many rounds as necessary to find a winner. In the most likely event that the number of players does not make a full bracket (something other than 2, 4, 8, 16, etc) then there will be some wildcard games to get us to a full bracket. I haven’t worked out the details of that piece but everyone who wants to join the tourney will be allowed entry even if it makes the brackets really ugly.There will be a max of 16 players in this tourney. I will give a seeding preference (to avoid the wildcard entries) if you sign up early. The sooner you sign up the better position you are in to not have to play that wildcard round.

Rules – We’ll be playing standard house rules and games will be treated as if they were Wizard Ladder games.

Map – Snowscapes and Mirages by Arctic Wolf - the link to the downloads section is here

Speed of play – We want players to be reliable and fast. It is understood that real life happens and sometimes you cannot play for a period of time. If you cannot get your turn played within 3 days then you must post in the absentee logs otherwise you risk forfeiting the game. There will be no subs.

Signup CLOSEDpost in this thread that you want to join the tourney. Post your email address that you want used for the tourney (ex: I want to join the tourney, mjschuck at fidnet dot com). Signup is open… it will be closed two weeks after the map making tourney results are finalized (estimating Oct 25) on Oct 25 at Noon ET or sooner if we get 16 players signed up. .... still don't have the map so we'll give it a little more time. 16 players max and maybe until the 26th???, sign up fast two slots remaining!!!

Winner – In addition to eternal fame and glory, this may be used as the opportunity to revamp the wizard ladder standings/brackets, etc and the winner will crowned the WL Champ

List of those who have joined (and order they signed up)

1... Crazyslyhawk - emacfallon at hotmail dot com Lost in Qtr Finals
2... Froster - branneji at yahoo dot ca lost in round 1
3... Dazzle94 - darryl dot peers at dsl dot pipex dot com dropped out of round 1
4... Mad87ger - mad87ger at yahoo dot de lost in round 1
5... Dan Petersson - dan-petersson at bredband dot net lost in round 1
6... Zsaber - zhengzjm at hotmail dot com
7... Blixten - johandavidsson91 at msn dot com dropped out of round 1
8... Gandalf the White - gandalf_the_mapmaker at yahoo dot co dot uk lost in round 1
9... Eriksson - poe at telia dot com
10.. Thorongil - Th0r0ngil at hotmail dot com
11.. Ecthelion_21 - ecthelion21 at gmail dot com Lost in Round 1
12.. Draco - francermak at juno dot com
13.. Disenchanted -
14.. Dafyth - Dwcarless at yahoo dot com Lost in Qtr Finals
15.. Enginerd - mjschuck at fidnet dot com
16.. Slipkyes - Slipkyesbass at gmail dot com Lost in round 1

Tourney Brackets:

Game 1 Crazyslyhawk vs Slipkyes CSH wins as Frostlings
Game 2 Gandalf vs Eriksson Eriksson wins as Azracs
Game 3 Mad87ger vs Disenchanted Disenchanted wins as Azracs
Game 4 DanPetersson vs Draco Draco wins as Azracs
Game 5 Froster vs Enginerd Enginerd wins as Azracs
Game 6 Blixten vs Thorongil Thorongil wins by default
Game 7 Dazzle vs Dafyth Dafyth wins by default
Game 8 Zsaber vs Ecthelion Zsaber wins as Frostlings

Qtr Game 1 Winner Game 1 Crazyslyhawk vs Winner Game 2 Eriksson Eriksson wins as Frostlings
Qtr Game 2 Winner Game 3 Disenchanted vs Winner Game 4 Draco
Qtr Game 3 Winner Game 7 Dafyth vs Winner Game 6 Thorongil Thorongil wins as Frostlings
Qtr Game 4 Winner Game 5 Enginerd vs Winner Game 8 Zsaber

Semi Game 1 Winner Qtr 1 Erkisson vs Winner Qtr 2
Semi Game 2 Winner Qtr 3 Thorongil vs Winner Qtr 4

Finals Winner Semi 1 vs Winner Semi 2

Race Selection in games

Round 1 games – since the seeding was based on when you signed up (I was going to randomize it and then this just sort of worked out) the higher seeded person is listed first and will play first which is the Frostlings and the second player listed will play Azracs.

Quarter Final Games - Where possible, both players will play a different race from the Round 1 games. Where this is not possible the player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference.

Semi Final Games – If a player has played the same race twice then that player will play the other race. If both players have played the same race twice, or if both players have already played both races then the player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference.

Finals - The player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference. Exception: if one of the players has played the same race in the three earlier rounds then he will get to play the other race.

Turn Logs – Please keep them up to date and post in them even if it is only with a “turn sent” comment. Have fun with your turn logs as other players may wish to read them.

Tourney Discussion thread A new thread will be opened to discuss the tourney games.(Never got around to this so just use this thread) Speculation and voting on who you think will win, which matches are the ones to watch, who is the favorite, what are the strategies you wish to use, etc. It will be an open forum to discuss things about the tourney while this thread will remain open to document progress with the tourney, results, etc

Results – post your results in this thread. Example – “Forster beat Enginerd in Game 5” (yes Forster… you will be the lucky one to play me it looks like )

(edit - added ending date of signups and max# players, added tourney brackets. Updated games finished 11/25, updated games finished 12/13, updated games finished 12/29, updated games finished 2/28)

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 02-28-2009 @ 02:31 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Dafyth
posted 10-24-08 03:43 PM EDT (US)     31 / 109       
OK, I'm in. I have to reinstasll tho.

What version are we using?

Former PBEM singles champion.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-24-08 03:58 PM EDT (US)     32 / 109       
Welcome Dafyth, only two slots open now (one if we hold Pawel to the 16th slot, I bet he never thought we'd get 16 ).

We'll be using the standard TS 1.36 version.
Dafyth
posted 10-24-08 08:18 PM EDT (US)     33 / 109       
OK I'm all patched, and going thru the campaign again for a refresher. Wow! I forgot how cute and quaint the graphics are, and how awesome the music is. I'm so out of practice I know I will get crushed, but I can tell this is gonna be a lot of fun

edit note: please use the email dwcarless at yahoo dot com Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Dafyth (edited 10-24-2008 @ 08:19 PM).]

Thorongil
posted 10-25-08 00:55 AM EDT (US)     34 / 109       
Hmmm, so what happened to that map announcement that was supposed to occur about 3-4 days ago? :-P

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
Zsaber81
posted 10-25-08 01:11 AM EDT (US)     35 / 109       
Enginerd, you're not going to join? think you should put yourself in the 15th slot and that would make 16 with Pawel lol.
Thorongil
posted 10-25-08 02:50 AM EDT (US)     36 / 109       
I second the motion.

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-25-08 02:43 PM EDT (US)     37 / 109       
Still waiting for one of my judges to send me their results..... as soon as I get them I'll announce the results. Sorry for the delay.... let's just say that two of the judges are split on the best map and the last one has to break the tie so he's being very thorough in his judging and some real life issues have delayed things for him too

14 is wonderful (especially when we recruit them from the SM forums). Don't worry, Dafyth is a real pro and I'm sure the rustiness will soon be gone.

Still waiting for two more to sign up.... we'll wait and see what happens.... still time to sign up... I'm sure we'll get 16 one way or another
Thorongil
posted 10-25-08 06:58 PM EDT (US)     38 / 109       
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, and sign up yourself? Eh bub?

Dafyth
posted 10-26-08 06:45 AM EDT (US)     39 / 109       
I can't find the house rules for AoW1 anywhere. Link please?

CrazySlyHawk
posted 10-26-08 07:16 AM EDT (US)     40 / 109       
'Ere ya go.

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,629,,all

Bah, I hate when the links look like that

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 10-26-2008 @ 07:16 AM).]

Dafyth
posted 10-26-08 10:30 AM EDT (US)     41 / 109       
Thanks! Maybe Enginerd can sticky it?

Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-26-08 02:04 PM EDT (US)     42 / 109       
Maybe not so intuitive like in the SM forums, the house rules are easily found by going to the sticky in the pbem forums called "PBEM FAQ and other info", within that thread there are several links to good PBEM info including the house rules. Maybe I'll change the title of that sticky to be something like "PBEM FAQ, House Rules and other info". That will make it much easier to find. Thanks for the bringing it up.

The link is here: PBEM FAQ, House Rules and other Information
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-29-08 03:47 PM EDT (US)     43 / 109       
Main post updated to include the brackets and match ups. I decided to just use the order you signed up as your seed starting point. Just to let you know that after discussion it with Pawel (and having the gauntlet thrown down which I hope to throw back in someone's face in the quarter finals ) that if no one else signs up then I will play in the 15th spot and Pawel will play in the 16th spot.

Map announcement coming soon
dazzle94
posted 10-29-08 03:57 PM EDT (US)     44 / 109       
Looking forward to my first match, hoping for a good battle Dafyth.
Also, when is it the affectionately named tourney starts? I would hate to miss it and I still need to get the general jist of PBEM. Mind you, I'll probably lose in the first round.

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound

[This message has been edited by dazzle94 (edited 10-29-2008 @ 04:15 PM).]

Froster
posted 10-29-08 05:39 PM EDT (US)     45 / 109       
There goes my chances of winning if I'm playing Enginerd! I'll probably lose first round.

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)

[This message has been edited by Froster (edited 10-29-2008 @ 05:41 PM).]

Thorongil
posted 10-29-08 07:00 PM EDT (US)     46 / 109       
Dangit can I vote for Enginerd to be #16 and Pawel #15? ;-)

jk...looks like a lot of fun, looking forward to it!

Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-29-08 07:16 PM EDT (US)     47 / 109       
Dangit can I vote for Enginerd to be #16 and Pawel #15?
I think what Thorongil is trying to say is that he would rather see Blixten battle it out against Pawel than he would against Forster

Yes... it will be great fun!
Slipkyes
posted 10-29-08 11:34 PM EDT (US)     48 / 109       
still two slots open? am I still on time? how about counting me in?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-31-08 04:50 PM EDT (US)     49 / 109       
Sure thing Slipkyes... you'll either be in slot 15 for me or slot 16 for Pawel (we're alternates and we were just waiting to fill the last two slots).

Please post your email address you want us to use.
Angel Draco
HG Lawgiver
posted 10-31-08 11:09 PM EDT (US)     50 / 109       
Sorry about the hold up everyone, that was my fault. We had a flood of bad guys that didn't want to agree to go to jail so I had to put them there (which cut into judging time). I think we'll be ready to go shortly!

Dan and I are in round one? Was this power matching?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 11-01-08 07:20 PM EDT (US)     51 / 109       
Results of the Mapmaking tourney have been announced.... the winning map was Snowsacapes and Mirages by Arctic Wolf.... I will add this to the header and soon we will be on our way to get things started.

Pawel has dropped out so I'll be in the 15th seed and Slipkyes in the 16th. Hopefully I'll get all the games started by the end of the weekend.
Dafyth
posted 11-02-08 00:09 AM EDT (US)     52 / 109       
Heh -- Dazzle, I'll do my best But I am so steeped in SM that I am making silly mistakes while playing AoW1. TC is a major pain, as I keep moving archers and only then remember that they now can't shoot until next round :P

Oh, and my email address is still wrong on the listing. It should read "dwcarless at yahoo dot com".

Gratz on the winning map Artic Wolf! Are we playing blind, or will the map be released before we start?

Arctic Wolf
posted 11-02-08 06:16 PM EDT (US)     53 / 109       
I am very curios because my map is to be used here, whether everyone believes the map to be sufficiently balanced. I find advantages and disadvantages to both sides, but I do lean one particular way in my racial preference. If there is a general agreement that the balance is not quite right I could quickly make a tweak that I regret I never made earlier.

I will not tip my hand in stating which race I believe has the advantage.
Gandalf theWhite
posted 11-03-08 02:45 AM EDT (US)     54 / 109       
Dafyth, the scenario is the winning one of the 1vs1 category of summer mapmaking contest. It's in the downloads section for over a month now

A question, Enginneerd: Since we have the map and the required 16 players, are we supposed to start now?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 11-03-08 12:57 PM EDT (US)     55 / 109       
Yes, the competiton will start soon.... in fact as soon as I can get to it. I only have 6 turns in my inbox and 8 games to create and start and 8 turn logs to create and I'm still short 2 email addresses (I have two for Disenchanted and I can't remember which one he wants me to use), and I need Slipkyes' email. Yeah... maybe tonight... maybe tomorrow night but soon

I'll update the header to put a link to the map in the downloads section. (and I fixed Dafyth's email that I messed up)
Angel Draco
HG Lawgiver
posted 11-03-08 05:36 PM EDT (US)     56 / 109       
AC, did you get my email about what I thought was a technical error in "An Ode to A.E. Van Vogt"? It's too bad this map didn't make the deadline for the competition becuase we all love it.

About Snowscapes and Mirages: Some of those custom items seem a little too powerful, like the "Unholy Terror" that grants a slew of immunities and shoots a black javelin. That's a game winning item right there.

Also, I thought the fact that there are lots of walled cities near the starting positions was a little draconian (no pun intended!), bucause it makes the initial resource gathering too tough.

That's my only nit picks though!
Slipkyes
posted 11-03-08 08:28 PM EDT (US)     57 / 109       
hey my email is slipkyesbass at gmail dot com

Sorry im late i was out of town for the weekend

Edit: I changed my email, I prefer this one for PBEM games

[This message has been edited by slipkyes (edited 11-03-2008 @ 08:49 PM).]

Arctic Wolf
posted 11-03-08 11:14 PM EDT (US)     58 / 109       
Thanks for the kind words Draco, (I assume AC was meant to be AW). I never received your email probably because I have changed email addresses since we last communicated. My new email is

Arcticwolf at Incentre dot net

I really was sorry not to complete the Van Vogt map on time, it seemed to be 95% complete for weeks but other factors kept me from finishing it. The story I wanted to tell was important to me, but I want to get my facts as accurate as possible. Please forward the comments to me as your input is considered valuable to me.

As for Snowscapes, I agree that a couple of items are a little too powerful for the tournament, I left them in the map because I knew you judges would have fun abusing them in play testing.

I have made one change to Snowscapes since the end of the competition and that was to put Tyrial back into the prison in the caverns (Dead center of map) He seems to have escaped sometime after I finished the map and prior to original upload. Since Tyrial is a Highmen and unlikely to join any side on this map of his own free will I thought it best to put him back in jail.

I am reluctant to make any other changes without the approval of the participants in the tourney. I do not want to ruin anyone's efforts if they have worked out their own winning strategy. On your point about the walled cities, I am rather reluctant to change those particular initial conditions. (I really cannot explain why except to say that things are not necessarily as they seem.)

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 11-04-2008 @ 01:24 AM).]

Slipkyes
posted 11-03-08 11:46 PM EDT (US)     59 / 109       
Enginerd when you get the chance please update my email I posted it a couple posts earlier in my edit, just in case this is it slipkyesbass at gmail dot com
Arctic Wolf
posted 11-04-08 10:51 AM EDT (US)     60 / 109       
In correspondence with Enginerd I sent him the proposed changes to the map. As the correspondence indicates some of my thoughts regarding balance I should post them such that Everyone has the same insights. I should warn you that my insights are often faulty.

Email to Enginerd:

Here are the small changes I strongly suggest to balance the map. These incidentally are the small changes I lament in the Forum Log.

1) Lizard two hex set to guard instead of auto. (My original ideas was that this city could be bought by Frostlings if they are quick enough. But this idea has proven faulty in my own play testing.)

2) Tyrial should be in that prison. How he got out is beyond me.

3) The Starting Frostling Hero stack should have one archer added .

4) The starting gold should be increased by 5 for each race.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames