You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Rollin' rollin' rollin', keep them heroes rollin'... (Re: Teleporters)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-28-02 04:00 AM EDT (US)   
...Rawhide!

In a review I've just read of HoMMIV there is a description of a new town upgrade that I find a little disturbing, called the caravan. With it, units are able to travel between towns without having to traverse the global map. It's not precisely clear how it works, but from what I gather, movement occurs ‘behind the scenes,' with the number of turns til arrival calculated by distance and at a flat rate per turn. Unless I've totally misunderstood, it is not possible for enemy units to intervene at any point. The reviewer lauds the feature, saying ‘it puts an end to the tedium of moving units all over the map'. Or some such.

I wouldn't bring it up here, except that in reflection it seems like AoWII's oft-touted teleportal upgrade has been designed to fulfil a similar purpose. The devs must have felt that something needed to be done to avoid the slowdowns that might affect the game when there are lots of units moving around each turn, as can happen with super huge scenarios for the original AoW.

Although reducing slowdowns may be desirable, I find myself wondering if the solution is actually more harmful than good. Teleportals in the original AoW are a necessary evil IMO, useful occasionally, mainly as a way to help the ai expand. Having them buildable is another bowl of fish.

If by constructing whole networks of teleportals, players can avoid the dangers of overland travel between their wizards towers, perhaps some of the strategic depth will disappear from the game. If entire areas of the map can be skipped over or avoided at will, then perhaps almost anything mapmakers put into their designs to ensure that they are challenging (and entertaining) will be of less consequence. To me, that spells less fun.

Does anyone else share my fears? Steep research and mana requirements could offset the worst abuse, I suppose. On the whole, I find the concept of building teleportals a bit repellent. Turn slowdowns would be far preferable.

Thoughts on this?

~Fingers~

Replies:
posted 03-28-02 04:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 73  
Well I wouldn't worry about that too much, we map makers just have to figure a way to counter that, if it is like you said. So let's just wait and see...

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 03-28-02 05:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 73  
I suppose this is the review Fingers is refering too: UGO HoMM4 Review.

Quoted from the review:

The Caravan eases this burden a little. The Caravan is a handy new structure that allows automatic, invisible transporting of creatures from other towns and overland dwellings. The time it takes is based on the distance it would take to go from one to the other at 30 moves per turn - and is actually faster than any hero would be able to transport them. Not only does this take away the tedium of such a manual transport, but it adds a new level of strategy, since frontline towns can be supplied with a garrison from afar - and safely, as well, since if a town is captured by an enemy, the creature caravan on the way to that town would automatically be returned to its origin. The Caravan obviates the need for a hero to go around buying troops from overland dwellings, too.

I'm not very worried about the similar feature in AoW2. I think it will be too expensive, or in some other way prohibited (city size, other upgrades as prerequisite), too use excessively in early/mid game. The developers intention with the teleporter is to speed up the end game, IIRC.

posted 03-28-02 05:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 73  
The teleporter issue has been discussed earlier in the "What Makes a Game Boring After a While" thread. There was no dev feedback there, so I don't know what the devs have done with it.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
Admin of the BTOOIC site and forum.
posted 03-28-02 10:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 73  
I can remember Josh said teleporters would be hard to build, somewhere. Probably something for the late game.
But if thats so comforting? Dragons are also hard to get? If teleporters become as common as dragons... And I wouldn't want teleporters to spoil my late game (= my opinion).

The thread Iznoghoud pointed out is a good one, with all the sentiments.

I share your concerns, Fingers. They are one of my greatests! I seriously hope there will be an option to play with teleports off, at least. Hope to learn more from the beta demo, soon.

Swolte

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 03-28-2002 @ 10:53 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 10:57 AM EDT (US)     5 / 73  
Excellent observations Fingers. I hated teleporters in AoW1, and especially hated it when designers would flood their maps with them. The town gate spell, in the hands of experienced players like Frogman, was one of the most unbalancing spells in the game.

In regard to Heroes, I once dissed AoW because it didn't have "vectoring" in it like Warlords III, whereby units could instantly move between cities when built, but I see now that this would hurt strategy.

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 03-28-2002 @ 11:03 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 11:03 AM EDT (US)     6 / 73  

Quote:

I hated teleporters in AoW1, and especially hated it when designers would flood their maps with them.

Amen.

posted 03-28-02 11:08 AM EDT (US)     7 / 73  
Here's the description in question:

Quoted from from HOMMIV Review:

The Caravan eases this burden a little. The Caravan is a handy new structure that allows automatic, invisible transporting of creatures from other towns and overland dwellings. The time it takes is based on the distance it would take to go from one to the other at 30 moves per turn - and is actually faster than any hero would be able to transport them. Not only does this take away the tedium of such a manual transport, but it adds a new level of strategy, since frontline towns can be supplied with a garrison from afar - and safely, as well, since if a town is captured by an enemy, the creature caravan on the way to that town would automatically be returned to its origin. The Caravan obviates the need for a hero to go around buying troops from overland dwellings, too.

Okay, I must admit it raises a good point about supplying front-line troops. How many of use have begun upgrading a 3 or 4 hex city near our starting position, only to have it obsolete because the front-line battles are now so far removed from that upgraded city it takes forever to get the units to the front line? I know I have. It's a difficult issue to balance.

posted 03-28-02 11:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 73  
Well the main reason why I used teleporters was to strenghten the computer. We all know how stupid AI can be...and how stupid AI is, so without any teleporter system to for the AI to use, many maps wouldn't have given anykind of challenge at all. Maybe it's just me, but but I found teleports useful for that particular reason.

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 03-28-02 01:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 73  
I never considered the teleporters in AoW1 a to be a problem. A bad mapmaker could of course ruin a map by putting too many teleoporters on the wrong spots, but a bad mapmakers map proboably wouldn't be much better without teleporters. The buildable teleporters are a completly different issue.

I just thought of something. What if teleporters would have to load before you could use them. Something like altars in AoW1. Using an empty teleporter could cost an extra 1000 mana. Every turn the extra cost would decrease for let's say 100 mana, so that after 10 days you could transport units for a normal cost. What do you think?

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 03-28-02 01:36 PM EDT (US)     10 / 73  

Quoted from Angel Draco:

How many of us have begun upgrading a 3 or 4 hex city near our starting position, only to have it obsolete because the front-line battles are now so far removed from that upgraded city it takes forever to get the units to the front line? I know I have. It's a difficult issue to balance.

I have too. Very good point. But as for fear of killer stacks dominating the map, heroes aren't anymore the one-man-armies they used to be. A cost based on the unit to be teleported for teleport between cities would be one thing that balances it more.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
posted 03-28-02 02:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 73  

Quote:

Well I wouldn't worry about that too much, we map makers just have to figure a way to counter that...

Hehe...there´s a few of us that loooks forward to the editor almost more than the game. For me it is like when I was 5 and got a biiig box of Lego! Maybe we should create a mailing group for the hard core map makers!?

ThEJeRk

My Hotmailaccount sometimes fills up. Please try this adress if that happens: aow2mail@yahoo.se

posted 03-28-02 02:08 PM EDT (US)     12 / 73  
Mmmm yes the editor will be sweeet.
posted 03-28-02 04:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 73  
Yeah...I have to admit I am waiting the editor more at this moment than the game itself.

My head is filled with so many ideas already...can't wait to start working on them...soon...oh so soon...

Mailing group eh? What would we mail about anyway?

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 03-30-02 03:40 AM EDT (US)     14 / 73  
Well, I’ve never been patient, so I hope the devs will give us a more complete description of how the upgrade works. Of course I’m speculating and can’t say for certain whether it’s something that will lessen my enjoyment of the game. Like some of you, I have misgivings that have grown out of bad experiences with the towngate spell and those massively teleportaled maps, which I think a lot of people would agree send the strategy of AoW straight down the tubes. Or can, unless the mapmaker is of the caliber of an Elquein (alas, there’s only one of you ).

Quoted from Draco:

Okay, I must admit it raises a good point about supplying front-line troops. How many of use have begun upgrading a 3 or 4 hex city near our starting position, only to have it obsolete because the front-line battles are now so far removed from that upgraded city it takes forever to get the units to the front line?

Right, I won’t deny either that there could be some benefit. It’s a double-edged sword, though. If five stacks belonging to the enemy are destined to arrive next turn in a city I’ve got surrounded, they shouldn’t be hidden from view or invulnerable to attack as they approach. Formulating good strategy is first dependent on being able to evaluate threats on the global map. If whole stacks can appear out of thin air, I’m not sure how this can be done. Invisible legions that are guaranteed to skip safely past any resistance, that’s what I object to. Cities with nothing to do far behind the lines are a drag, I agree. But at least it's part of an overall picture that is comprehensible and which all sides can take into account; a situation that has some basis in the logistical dilemmas of real war. The shadowy side of warfare is already represented nicely in AoW with units possessing stealthy abilities. As an armchair general, that’s where I draw the line.

Now take what’s been said about the teleportal upgrade in a developer interview.

Quoted from Lennart Sas:

One of the upgrades is the Wizard's Tower. The Tower gives many benefits to a Wizard residing in it, including an optional teleportation gate, which allows the player to build an army transportation network in his empire, greatly reducing micromanagement in the endgame.

What does this mean, ‘endgame’?

It’s more speculation on my part, but I wonder if it wouldn’t be more accurate to say that there is a phase of the game, beginning early or late depending on a scenario’s design, when teleportal networks come into play. The assumption being that the largest scenarios with many preexisting towers will tend to have extensive networks spring up sooner than smaller ones with only a few. Therein lies my fear. Suppose now, as a mapmaker, you’d like to create a large scenario, with many towers and loads of mana available for spells. It would seem that unless as part of your design you make mana very hard to come by, or unless there are other requirements (which I know nothing of) that place limitations on the use of the teleportals, you’ll have no choice but to create something in which players can begin using them in earnest. Perhaps even from the get go.

In other words, those of us who would enjoy the mayhem of large maps with many towers and enough mana for casting expensive spells (e.g. lightning storm, summon dragon) may be forced to think small and quiet -- or cope with teleportation as central to the game… Armies popping through teleportals all over the place, driving us bananas.

An endgame.

If there’s any basis in fact, I’d like the feature to be made off-able.

~Fingers~

[This message has been edited by Fingers (edited 03-30-2002 @ 05:47 AM).]

posted 03-30-02 06:57 AM EDT (US)     15 / 73  
I totally agree with you, Fingers!

I mentioned before I could write a whole essay on the negative impact of buildable IN-CITY-teleporters on gameplay. Fingers had some points and the other thread too. Think about it.

Of course, we do not yet know HOW it is implemented:
-Is there a cost for build AND use?
-How expensive to build an use?
-Play with teleports-off?

This uncertainty make me worried. Combined with the scarce info from interviews which seem to point out that they will be quite a 'big' feature in AOW2.

An option to play with teleporters off in cities would be VERY welcome. If not crucial for ME going to like AOW2 for a long time. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit but I think I cannot stress this hard enough.

*gets something to drink*

posted 03-30-02 07:38 AM EDT (US)     16 / 73  
I hope we get to use teleports in the demo, that way, we can find out if they unbalance the game before it's too late to do anything at all about it.

posted 03-30-02 04:41 PM EDT (US)     17 / 73  

Quoted from Swolte:

Of course, we do not yet know HOW it is implemented:
-Is there a cost for build AND use?
-How expensive to build an use?
-Play with teleports-off?

That’s right, I had assumed it requires mana to use. Probably per unit. Now I realize there’s so much uncertainty, we don’t even know that for sure.

Please oh please won’t a dev respond today to one of the threads? (the other one is here .) I’m beginning a move tomorrow and won’t be able to post for a long, long time. Maybe not until after the sequel is out in stores. Having these kinds of worries between now and then is going to be unbearable.

~Fingers~

posted 04-01-02 01:25 AM EDT (US)     18 / 73  
If it can't be shut off in the editor, maybe someone will figure out a way to get rid of it with a mod.
posted 04-01-02 09:14 AM EDT (US)     19 / 73  
I don't know if it will be possible in a mod. Usually those are relatively easy changes (could be wrong, though). I actually hope its still patchable.

I am almost certain that if there isn't an option to play without buildable city-teleporters there will be a call from the multiplayer fanbase to have such an option, later on. (Depending on how its implemented, of course).

As it looks now, based on the little info we have from interviews, articles and responses (hard to get, endgame, to reduce micromanagement, netwerk) it seems to have become a big factor. Its effect may not be big in the campaign or scenarios but I'm afraid will be big in the huge multiplayergames lots of fans like.

Judging from the responses on threads like these I think most gamers agree they will do more bad than good to the gameplay if used lightly. Despite their obvious transport advantages.
*hopes he didn't wake up a silent majority*

Swolte

posted 04-01-02 09:31 AM EDT (US)     20 / 73  
*Devs run in fear as the mob of the now awakened silent majority comes running at the Triumph studios building for not allowing to play with teleporters off*

posted 04-02-02 10:37 AM EDT (US)     21 / 73  
Yes I have read most of the posts about teleporters. In practice it works just different. That's just all I can say right now.

PS. I should have introduced myself. I'm Arnout (brother of..) and scenario designer for AoW2.

Quote:

Arnout,
Please check this and this thread for more info on WHY buildable teleporters could radically change gameplay.
If you like that sort of a gameplay. Ok, fine. Remember though that in big multiplayer games the fully upgradable-state is often reached pretty soon.
Healing houses, forges, libraries, barracks etc... create strategic depth. Teleporters do the opposite IMO. For example: the element of planning is a lot less interesting for 2 turns later that enemy city you wanted to attack has 2 killer stacks more, despite good scouting for nearing reinforcements...
Of course there will be counterstrategies and all but do you honestly think the'd be as interesting when without teleporters?

Plz reply in other thread

posted 04-02-02 11:19 AM EDT (US)     22 / 73  
If you're actually with Triumph Studios, I think you should mail to Angel Draco or some other HG Angel to get yourself a blue-colored nickname and Triumph Studios Title.

posted 04-02-02 04:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 73  

Quoted from Arnout:

Yes I have read most of the posts about teleporters. In practice it works just different. That's just all I can say right now.

Thanks, it comforts me a bit. I don't know how but it does.

Of course I will not end my teleport-off 'crusade' untill I am sure it will indeed work differently in practice. Different from the multiplayer teleport-tactic-scenario's I sketched.
Hopefully the beta demo will give us-nondevs some more insights in city-teleporters. The criticism would perhaps be better adjusted.

You are Lennarts brother, right?
Welcome to the Forums

Good luck designing maps!

Swolte

posted 04-02-02 04:41 PM EDT (US)     24 / 73  
What this game needs is a toll booth next to a teleporter.

I too hte the teleporter/nydus canal idea in games.

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
posted 04-02-02 05:08 PM EDT (US)     25 / 73  
Here I've been gone on vacation for the past few days and someone starts a "Lynch the Teleporters" thread. You big whiners. YOu don't HAVE to have teleporters on your map, and for the record, **I** am the one and only designer who ever abused the use of teleporters, which I actually enjoyed because I felt as though it gave the AI a slight advantage, but it did slow the sucker down... (Remember my Maze map?, now there was an evil map, filled with teleporters).

I also like to use teleporters to make a circuit through the map that is slightly nonlinear. Like a subway, for example, where you can whiz around a circle of locations, until you come to the stop you like (like in my old map, City of War, or Isles of Luck and Loss). Like 'em or not they're in the game, so bleah!

As to the HOMM feature, the feature isn't really unique. It was in Warlords originally, and has been used in other games too, like Spaceward HO, where you can vector your production to a front city or location. I personally think it's more of a bother to setup than its worth, and I'm sure that HOMM implemented it differently, but whatever...

As per the teleporters in AoW2, the fears are not justified. In all my experience the only time I've even gotten one, was if late, late, late in a game, I took over an enemy city in which the enemy was stupid enough to build it. Because of the way the tech tree is built, it's unlikely that you will build them in every game, or even in 10% of the games you play. I suppose some map designers may think they're cute and give you them... hrrrmmm... that gives me an idea for a map... but other than that... um... I wouldn't be too worried.

--Ray

posted 04-02-02 05:30 PM EDT (US)     26 / 73  
Sorry, I can't help myself on this topic. I turn all neurotic at the very thought of buidable teleporters and their use as a primary defense tactic.

Sure your not underestimating the power of buildable teleporters in cities, Rayb? Even imagining big multiplayer games on home made maps with lots of cities starting upgraded?
If YOU are sure then I rest my case and will go to sleep...
finally...
rest.

I don't really mind the loose ones (can always raze them ).

Swolte

BTW: I may have found an easy to program alternative: Us opposed humans can rule to not build them. Now only have to get the AI this far to get teleporterless. Modifying that tech tree would be easier than a buildable-teleporter-off option, not?

posted 04-03-02 07:13 AM EDT (US)     27 / 73  

Quoted from swolte:

Modifying that tech tree would be easier than a buildable-teleporter-off option, not?

I don't think so. When you try to give your city a build order, there is gonna be a series of checks to see whether the building can be built. If any of them fails, like too little gold, not enough population, construction will not start.

They could have a variable (sorry to have to get technical on this) called: "BuildableTeleportersAllowed" which can be set "True" or "False" by the mapmaker, or the host when starting a game. All you have to do then is add one more item to the checklist, to check if teleporters are allowed. Modifying the tech tree would seem more complicated to me.

But let's first see the demo before we go further on this Buildable-Teleporters-Off-Option crusade.

posted 04-03-02 07:33 AM EDT (US)     28 / 73  
Ok, a cease fire.
I agree.

*licks his wounds and checks official site for...*

btw: Arnout is blue now!

posted 04-03-02 07:52 AM EDT (US)     29 / 73  

Quoted from swolte:

Ok, a cease fire. (...) *licks his wounds and checks official site for...*

Cease fire? I'm not opposed to you in the Buildable-Teleporters-Off-Option crusade. I agree that there should be that option. But I first want to see the demo, because I think we have said about everything there is to say about it. Also, I may be all wrong in my previous argument, but that is how I see it, having a little programming experience...

posted 04-03-02 08:02 AM EDT (US)     30 / 73  
My humble apologies, Grand Vizier for this misunderstandment. I wasn't referring to you or anyone specific to cease arms to (maybe these fears, triumph trust, whatever). I hope we can be great allies in this battle for the tellie-off-option once it will be needed again.

Swolte

posted 04-03-02 08:05 AM EDT (US)     31 / 73  
LOL!

posted 04-03-02 08:03 PM EDT (US)     32 / 73  
FYI: you can now download 10 scenarios made by RayB, including the map he mentioned, "The Isles of Luck and Loss" (be warned, it's a killer!) in AOWH's new Ancient Maps archive, recently put together by Angel Nojd, which collects all of the maps originally posted at Ginette's and Hadberz's sites.
posted 04-06-02 02:21 AM EDT (US)     33 / 73  
I too would like to see buildable teleporters kept optional, left to the discretion of the mapmaker whether they’re available or not.

Really though, I'd appreciate having the same flexibility when it comes to the other tower upgrades as well. The new focus on wizard leaders and building magical towers with all of those exotic upgrades is exciting. However, I'm afraid I may not remain quite so excited if it means that creating maps with stories that do not involve a lot of magic is more difficult. I like variety. Scenarios where magic is kept more low-key (i.e. no Saurons or Emperor Palpatines wandering about, summoning dragons, blasting everything that moves with bolts of lightning) can be a lot of fun in AoW1, and would be good for variety in AoW2.

Preserve some of the old. Wizardless mode.

The road goes ever, ever.... ouch!
--Bilbo-on-a-stick-->

[This message has been edited by Bilbo on a stick (edited 04-06-2002 @ 02:45 AM).]

posted 04-06-02 06:26 AM EDT (US)     34 / 73  
Great! Another ally.
We have agreed upon a cease fire untill the demo is out (hmmm.. probably explains the delay) as to be more capable of implementation critique and express our fears.

Nice to see our army growing...
We have the first 8 official members now.
*Swolte the first
*Iznoghoud the grand vizier
*Bilbo with the funny name
*Rorschach the brave Norwegian
*Devon the almighty, invincible, beautifull, great, genial...etc (Ah.. well. Read his profile and stories!)
*Andalakus the ..eh.. anti teleport..latin talking German!
*Newsboy555 the really funny one
*Polaris the mighty X
!! UPDATES IN THIS THREAD!!!

Welcome to the army of BTOOIC. (Buildable Teleporters Off Option In Cities).

Membership is free, please join!

Swolte

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 04-07-2002 @ 08:50 AM).]

posted 04-06-02 06:30 AM EDT (US)     35 / 73  
I'll follow that banner through hell and back.
posted 04-06-02 10:03 AM EDT (US)     36 / 73  

Quoted from RayB:

enemy city in which the enemy was stupid enough to build it.

(Stupid?)...uh-oh... ...
posted 04-06-02 11:00 AM EDT (US)     37 / 73  
We need a meeting place for the members of our "army of BTOOIC" to gather and plan their strategy...

posted 04-06-02 12:04 PM EDT (US)     38 / 73  
That strategy should involve surprise teleport-jumps into enemy territory. Maybe with a return-ticket also? We could also have a randomly generated meeting-place that teleports.

la-la-la-la-la
*flaps his lips with his finger*

[This message has been edited by Rorschach (edited 04-06-2002 @ 12:19 PM).]

posted 04-06-02 02:21 PM EDT (US)     39 / 73  
( )

Yes, hehe...

Our huge army is blessed with such brilliant advisors!

Soon I will reveal such a secret place, Grand vizier Iznoghoud.
But it must be safe! Not to be leaking any secret plans. I was thinking of a deserted place like the 'Hall of Wonders'. Anyone opposed?

The army of BTOOIC will become a force to be reckoned with!

Swolte

please join, membership is free (devs are welcome too)!

posted 04-06-02 02:44 PM EDT (US)     40 / 73  
yep! im in

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Rollin' rollin' rollin', keep them heroes rollin'... (Re: Teleporters)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames