You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » What's up with God Games????
Bottom
Topic Subject:What's up with God Games????
gameman1a
posted 08-10-01 10:43 AM EDT (US)         
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2803226,00.html

Will this affect AoW 2's development in any way???

AuthorReplies:
gameman1a
posted 08-10-01 10:48 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Oh, and I really hope an answer from Triumph ...
Angel Draco
HG Lawgiver
posted 08-10-01 11:27 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Hopefully, Triumph won't have any problem finding a publisher for AOW2 since AOW1 was so successful.
Josh AoW
VIP
posted 08-10-01 12:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Take2 is still publishing AoW2... no worries...

I dunno if it'll be under the GoD label, but that's not really a major issue at this point, IMO...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
Edi
posted 08-13-01 00:11 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Take2?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Josh, how can you guys do this to me?! Last time around they published it three MONTHS late in Europe! All the false promises and disappointments soured the experience of getting AoW so badly it took me four months until I actually got around to playing it after a few desultory tries at some scenarios. Can you at least make them do it on time with AoW2?

Edi

Josh AoW
VIP
posted 08-13-01 01:18 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
The delayed European release was for a combination of reasons, primarily that the translations took longer than expected, and got started later than expected...

I can't make any promises in this area, as translations can only be started at a certain point in development, so are largely out of our hands. I know it would be our ideal situation to do a simultaneous release, but whether reality will allow that isn't known...

(Don't be too hard on Take2, they are paying for AoW2 after all)...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
Edi
posted 08-13-01 03:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Well, at least could it be done so that in those countries that will have the English version (Scandinavia, Finland and other small countries) it's published at the same time. I can understand why you want to have translated versions for languages like German, Italian, French and Spanish, because of the large populations, but the rest of us get screwed royally just because somebody doesn't hire a competent translator and it gets delayed. 3DO published HoMM3 just two days later in Europe than in the States, and they had the text on the boxes printed in Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian and English at that time.

We're not in any hurry to get an Italian or Spanish version of the game here in the North anytime soon, because we learn English as a second language at school, and if somebody from central Europe really wants to take the time to come all the way here to buy the game at an extortionate price because they want it sooner, let them. But I don't see why we have to suffer because somebody else wants the extra service of having the game in their language.

It's just that if it works (supposedly) like it should have last time, I really don't have my hopes up. After three broken promises from Take2, I gave up. I was lucky to get the game only two months late, in January, because a local game store got a shipment of the US release almost by accident, but it took me until late May to get over the feelings of resentment and disappointment so that I could actually start playing the game without feeling a wall of anger build up at the mere thought. Once I got past that point, I played AoW for six months solid without doing much else. If they make a repeat of that fiasco, they're not winning any converts here. I also remember a lot of similar feelings from the Swedes here, because for them it's the same problem. But this time around I won't wait if Take2 screw things up at this end, I'll probably ask Darkspider or Caber or somebody else in the States to buy a copy and send it to me and I'll send them the money.

All in all, Take2 might be paying for AoW2, but considering their track record of incompetence here in Europe (I've heard enough about other games from people I know), it's what they owe us for their past behavior. I'm not inclined to forget (or forgive) what happened with AoW1, so they'll have to prove they can do better. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Edi

Fingers
posted 08-13-01 04:39 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
What are the chances of an exclusive Canadian edition of AoWII being released several months early?
Magog
posted 08-13-01 04:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Edi, why don't you by the game from an online store in the US? I ordered AOW from DoubleDiscount, and payed $12 for the shipment (to Sweden), and got the game about a week later.

Will probably do the same with AOW2.
It's a bit more expensive but hey, were talking AOW2 here...

Nojd
posted 08-13-01 05:44 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
The problem was that we didn't know in advance that the European release of AoW 1 would be so delayed. Lots of Swedes and Finns posted the latest rumours from their local stores about when they expected the game to arrive, and it was always "next week". I got the same information from several stores, but of course noone delivered. I was about to give up (somewhere around christmas -99) when I found a very small shop that had imported a few copies from USA, and I got the last one! Expensive, but well worth it!
The Jerk
posted 08-13-01 07:53 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
LoL, I was so extremely lucky when they released AOW in -99. I was visiting relatives (in-laws anyway) in Minnesota to celebrate X-mas. One of the best gifts was the one I got myself from the local Best Buy - AOW! Im kind of hoping for an X-mas release on AoW2 too since Im going there this year as well...

...any chance of that happening Josh?

...if thats the case I bet I can pick up a few orders around here, huh...

Josh AoW
VIP
posted 08-13-01 03:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
AoW2 will be released sometime in the first half of 2002 (before next E3, so we don't have to show it again, is our plan)...

So no, not a Xmas release... which doesn't break my heart, Christmas is a brutal time to release a game, w/ so many products competing for shelf space...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames