You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.36 replies, Sticky
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » AOW1 Upcoming Events and Calender
Bottom
Topic Subject:AOW1 Upcoming Events and Calender
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-14-07 03:07 PM EDT (US)         
This thread is to be used to discuss the upcoming calendar of events for AoW1 Forum. There will be several activities and news events ongoing. Once a thread is made for the calendar item it would be preferred to discuss that special item in the thread link. If you have special requests or ideas then post them here as well. We're always looking for good ideas.

Calendar

Now - Aug 15, 2008 Summer 2008 Co-Op Challenge - Completed

Summer 2008 - (prob late June to Aug) Map Making Competition - Judging Completed!

Fall 2008 1v1 tourney using new map Started in Nov and progressing well, 6 players left as of 2/28/09! here

Christmas/New Year - Themed map making contest. Ongoing right now. 7 maps submitted, judging is underway. Check it out here

2v2 tourney - Sign Ups start NOW!!! 2009 Team Competition - 2 vs 2 - SIGN UP NOW!!!!

A fun Campaign Game is starting, interesting twist on things, the link is here

March - American Idol Judging will take place with the winter mapmaking competition, Community Voting Thread here

Apr and Beyond! ??? Need ideas, post away to discuss.

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 03-07-2009 @ 01:29 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 08-31-07 06:00 PM EDT (US)     1 / 36       
New PBEM Tourney during the month of September will be added to the header.

If anyone has ideas on what to do or what they would like to see please make your ideas known so we can discuss them here.
Gandalf theWhite
posted 09-13-07 04:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 36       
I'm not that sure if this thread is the right place to discuss my idea, but it's about AoW event calendar, so maybe it is...

After the Summer Mapmaking Competition, there were a few short discussions about what to do done to keep things working when the competition is over. Most of people did say that the solution is to run mapmaking competition again soon, and repeated in short time, even just 3 months. Supporters of the idea seem to assume that every new competition will repeat the success of the last one, but personally I'm sure about this. IMHO the key to outstanding success was the fact that the map design tourney was the first greater AoW event for years; if contest is repeated every three months it may lose its uniqueness and will attract fewer and fewer mapmakers. On the other hand, no one can deny it would be great to have more than one mapmaking contests in year. So what's the right solution? I thought of it and I have a proposition.

The idea is, to have more than one type of competition! Those with rules same as the most recent would be held every summer, and possibly given some weird pomp name like ,,Mapmaking Olympics” or ,,Grand Map Design Tournament” to represent its importance as the ,,main” competition. The last contest has taken almost 3 months, so it leaves 9 months in year time for the ,,smaller” competitions. They could be run each 3 three months between the ,,main” and unlike it the criteria that map has to fit to enter would be quite limited e.g. only After the Fall-style scenarios, story-driven scenarios with a certain theme, MP and SP maps of any type but playable under a certain user-created ruleset (Arda, Lighthawk’s etc.). This way there would be enough activity to keep mapmakers interested and possibly attract new ones all the year round, but the summer mapmaking contest will be still a unique event that everyone looks impatiently forward to (Even though it wouldn’t be possible to hold one’s breath while waiting).
Your views, mates?

Proud author of Finbar's Quest, the winning SP scenario of AoW1 Summer 2007 Mapmaking Competition.
Btw, you guys should really listen to Gandalf, he is very wise
- Josh AoW, Triumph Studios game developer
But does he talk to himself because he's the oldest man around, or does he just talk to himself because... ya'know... ?
- Chow Guy, AoW Heaven Cherub
CrazySlyHawk
posted 09-13-07 07:41 AM EDT (US)     3 / 36       
Its definitely got a flavour to it, indeed it will be fun to make map types I havent experimented much with.

Token Irish Gamer!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-20-07 05:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 36       
I'd like to see more ideas pop up here. I will help spend my efforts where the community interest sends me.

I think we could do another map making tourney in the future, not sure exactly when, excellent thoughts on the map making ideas posted above

The Wizard Ladder is due for an overhaul and being discussed (it would be nice if there was more discussion on it).

I think it would be fun to have a single player competition using the top two SP maps, I could expound on it more if there is interest.

What are some of your thoughts and ideas?
Beren V
posted 10-27-07 01:09 AM EDT (US)     5 / 36       
I don't normally follow the tournaments, but congrats to Arctic Wolf for his victory and congrats to Enginerd for hanging onto the title for so long!

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 12-31-07 09:56 AM EDT (US)     6 / 36       
Started a new Single Player Monthly Challenge Competition for January 2008....

Hope you all have fun with it!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 05-26-08 07:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 36       
OK... Updated the header to show what's potentially up over the next few months....
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-11-08 11:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 36       
Header updated to add 1v1 tourney and request ideas for the next big event tentatively for first of the new year. (map making competition, sp tourney, etc)
CrazySlyHawk
posted 10-11-08 04:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 36       
The SP tourney may not take as long as the team based one of last year, so I'd be up for more quick slaughterfests come New Year.

That, or some sort of themed map making competition. Winter maps, maps with fire, maps with dragons available for purchase a la Apprentice

Token Irish Gamer!
Gandalf theWhite
posted 10-12-08 02:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 36       
Good idea with those themed mapmaking competition, Crazy! I once used to think that we might do with some mod-based competition, but seeing how many people have problems with getting most of them installed on XP (Including me; I haven't managed to install Warlock's despite I tried several times ), I doubt if it's such a good idea...
CrazySlyHawk
posted 10-17-08 05:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 36       
A massive interactive campaign where Cult/Keepers fight to control the Blessed Continent would be pretty sweet provided we drew in players and maps; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Ring_Online_Campaignis the basis for this thought.

Take a lot of work though :O

Token Irish Gamer!
Beren V
posted 10-17-08 11:07 PM EDT (US)     12 / 36       
This is a really good idea, but I insist that it consist of more factions than just the Keepers and the Cult of Storms.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
Froster
posted 10-18-08 09:27 AM EDT (US)     13 / 36       
I think we should have a PBEM team battle for Christmas/New Year 2008/2009.

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
CrazySlyHawk
posted 10-18-08 09:52 AM EDT (US)     14 / 36       
No, I agree, I was being very general. I'm not a big fan of the AoW canon and all. That Lotr Good vs. Evil campaign had several regions to battle in, so if the Blessed Continent were divided up in a similar manner we're looking at various factions; Lizards fighting all kinds along the Serpent River and Blackwater Lake, Dwarves in Deepmir, Azracs on the steppes...

Aye, Froster, I wouldn't mind a few doubles games myself. It'll take awhile but they always shine. That, or we could organise some team games outside (before and after) the proposed New Year event, whatever it'll be.

Token Irish Gamer!
Gandalf theWhite
posted 10-18-08 12:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 36       
While I actually hoped for a mapmaking competition*, this sounds great too - and if there is enough interest, I think we might go for it!

*but why couldn't we have both events organised around New Year?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-23-08 02:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 36       
So to summarize what I'm hearing for ideas....

team tourney 2v2
themed mapmaking comp

I don't see any reason why they couldn't run concurrently, just more work for me and more fun for all of you

Any interest in a single player type monthly competition? We had two good maps submitted as part of the recent map making efforts, one of them could be used for that, maybe for the Thanksgiving-New Year holidays.

I'd like to see how this current 1v1 tourney goes before starting a 2v2 but it certainly could be done. Maybe wait until after round 1 ends. I also don't mind doing something similar to the AoWSM forums where they ask for random games. I could create a sticky and if people wanted a game but didn't want to find players I could facilitate that effort.
Elquein
posted 10-23-08 03:15 PM EDT (US)     17 / 36       
themed mapmaking comp
I support that idea. I'm itching to try out the AoW editor again after such a long break. Missed the last competition completely...
mad87ger
posted 10-23-08 04:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 36       
I really like the idea of the good vs evil campaign. And an 2vs 2 tournament would be great too. And I would be in an themed map making competition.
sKout77
posted 10-24-08 07:08 AM EDT (US)     19 / 36       
the idea of a themed mapmaking competition is great!

Perhaps a Christmas themed mapmaking competition prior to a Christmas 1v1 or 2v2 tournament?:-)

[This message has been edited by sKout77 (edited 10-24-2008 @ 07:20 AM).]

Gandalf theWhite
posted 10-25-08 03:06 AM EDT (US)     20 / 36       
I don't see any reason why they couldn't run concurrently, just more work for me undefined and more fun for all of you undefined
I'm afraid the community isn't going to show you any mercy, then I would support the single player event idea, the question is, will it attract enough attention to work? When we tried to resurrect the Monthly Challenge year ago, it ended up with no entries sent...

Reading through post by my fellow mapmakers, it appears to me that there is general agreement on the themed competition idea. Now there's a question, what kind of theme should be used? I don't have any clear idea myself, something with winter, snow and Frostlings comes to mind first since it's going to be a Christmas/New Year competition (How Inioch stole the Treesmas?), but maybe we should think of something less obvious?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 10-25-08 02:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 36       
Agreed - we'll do a themed map making competition. Give me a few days and I'll start a new thread to gather ideas so we can formalize the details of the contest.

The SP contests have not generated a lot of results in the past but they have resulted in many players downloading the maps. They aren't that much work as I take an already most excellent map and just make a few minor tweaks to add some surprises and hidden goals then password protect it for the competition. Glad that we're getting some good ideas and discussion.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 11-18-08 08:32 PM EDT (US)     22 / 36       
Header Updated.

Still trying to figure out what to do in Jan and beyond......
Froster
posted 11-18-08 09:12 PM EDT (US)     23 / 36       
2v2!

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
PawelS
posted 12-27-08 11:29 AM EDT (US)     24 / 36       
This seems to be a very interesting idea:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,2987,0,60

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-02-09 10:19 AM EDT (US)     25 / 36       
Header updated.

2v2 tourney next new thing on the calendar. Don't get too excited.... haven't figured out the details yet but don't worry.... I'll get something posted about it in the next several days.
TuoDrable
posted 01-02-09 11:15 AM EDT (US)     26 / 36       
I'll be happy to play my first tournament ;-)
Gandalf theWhite
posted 01-06-09 01:22 PM EDT (US)     27 / 36       
I'll get something posted about it in the next several days.
Several days passed since this post.. any details? (I propably wouldn't be playing that tourney anyway, but I think that many of forumers might be interested) .

[This message has been edited by Gandalf theWhite (edited 01-06-2009 @ 01:32 PM).]

Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-06-09 06:35 PM EDT (US)     28 / 36       
Geesh.... 4 days since my post and already getting bugged about it.... (makes mental note to use "lots" instead of "several" next time) nothing like a friendly reminder

New thread created today... please... no applause necessary... (also not allowed to throw things at me )

check here
Deroman
posted 01-07-09 06:41 AM EDT (US)     29 / 36       
It's good to have bothering activists around here, keeps things going.

Gandalf, have you had any luck in your cd-drive renewal? PBEM section is such stalled without your presence, and I mean not to pressure, but to find out wether I afford to strike the forum section full of open challenges again without being literally overwhelmed with PBEM games..

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
Gandalf theWhite
posted 01-07-09 01:51 PM EDT (US)     30 / 36       
No, Deroman, I haven't got a new one yet, I guess this will happen in two weeks or so, but for now I'm still not able to play. Thanks for your kind interest
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames