You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Modding AoW3?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Modding AoW3?
raledon
posted 04-15-14 03:16 PM EDT (US)         
I started playing AoW3, beside the (usual) bad AI, I found a few things about the game not to be as well made as expected, such as the amount of mana you (don't) use and the fast pacing of the game.

The solution, since I envisioned the game a bit differently than the devs, is to mod it to my liking.
How much can the game be modded? By which tools? Can features be added via c++ or such, or do we have to use existing features?

Thanks for the help in that regard,
Raledon Ironfaith.
AuthorReplies:
Sunicle
posted 04-15-14 10:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
I'm not a modder, but what I understand is that the game has not been provided with modding tools. I have no idea if Triumph is planning to give us something at some point. At least one person is busy developing a modest modding tool called 'Mad Statter', he regularly posts updates in Triumph's forum.

The developers themselves are still making heavy balance tweaks. What you're saying about too much mana and the pace of the game has been said by many, many players in Steam and Triumph's forum already. Research has been slowed down quite a bit in patch 1.09. One spell, it may have been disjunction, is now 6 times as expensive to research.
Also the XP system they're hoping to change, not with the motivation to slow it down, but it might well have that effect.
Maybe keep an eye on the patch notes.
sikbok
VIP
posted 04-16-14 00:57 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Hi raledon & Sunicle

@Mana, we are currently testing serveral tweaks to resolve that internally.

@Pacing, we'll be looking to introduce something akin to 'marathon' mode for people that enjoy longer games on large maps which is something the current balance is not suited for.

@Modding, we've shipped with a level editor.
We plan to add more advanced modding and have started research on how we'll do that.
We'll likely add tools to make mods.

@Mad Statter, that's an awesome tool and it follows the direction where we want to go with modding.
Do note that this tool will have some issues when you want to play multiplayer and when we start to balance patch, etc.
The modding tools we intent to provide will have none - or less - of those issues and ease-of-use system will be integrated into the game itself.

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

raledon
posted 04-16-14 10:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Thanks a lot for the information, I am really happy to hear it.

I'll check Mad Stattar, I might use it till Triumph release their modding tools.

My main issue with the pacing is the depth of the cities, though.
Building up to tier 2 in cities, and requiring a single building to reach tier 4 after researching the spell means that besides a couple of major cities I build up, most cities build a granary, a wall and an observatory at most before being thrown to produce gold or my best class units.
I am happy to hear that issues are being looked into, though.
Keep up the good work!

[This message has been edited by raledon (edited 04-16-2014 @ 10:29 AM).]

ffbj
posted 04-16-14 04:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Is there information regarding specifications for running the editor? I can never reload a saved module for instance.
I have 4 gigs, which is probably insufficient, but it would be nice to have some information. I get memory specific warnings and failures, assertion failed stuff.
Off Topic: Aside from Aow my other works have been on NwN.
Due to the closing of their primary website I wanted to link to my work for interested parties.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Portfolios.Detail&id=70
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames