You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.57 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Whyyy?!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Whyyy?!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
(id: neo222)
posted 02-28-14 01:07 PM EDT (US)         
Choose your allies from among the six main races - Humans, High Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins and Draconians
Why?! Why cut so many races? What about the halflings? The frostlings? The archons? Nearly all of the unique races have been cut! The only unique race left is the Draconians!

#dumbificationofcomputergames

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
AuthorReplies:
PawelS
posted 02-28-14 01:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 57       
There are dwellings of some additional races: Undead Archons, Fey, Giants and Dragons. They are similar to cities - you can build buildings and produce units there.

Also I suppose more races will be added in DLC.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 02-28-2014 @ 01:23 PM).]

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 02-28-14 01:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 57       
If they're selling an incomplete game, they shouldn't sell it at the price of a complete game.

Albaron
posted 02-28-14 01:45 PM EDT (US)     3 / 57       
Also I suppose more races will be added in DLC
What does DLC mean?

A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team
PawelS
posted 02-28-14 01:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 57       
The fact that some stuff will be added later doesn't make it an incomplete game. It was the same in case of AoW2, where some more content was added in Shadow Magic.

@Albaron: DLC means "downloadable content". It's a modern term for "expansion pack", although for some games the DLC packs tend to be very small and don't add anything significant to the game. I hope in case of AoW3 the DLC packs will be more meaningful.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 02-28-2014 @ 01:49 PM).]

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 02-28-14 01:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 57       
DLC means Downloadable Content which is the model for games nowadays. It may better, it may be worse. If it's an excuse for developers to sell a game that's lacking content at normal price then add a lot of the content afterwards as DLC, that doesn't seem ethical. If it's used to add just a few extra features/content, then that's an okay business model imo.
The fact that some stuff will be added later doesn't make it an incomplete game. It was the same in case of AoW2, where some more content was added in Shadow Magic.
Depends how much is added. Shadow Magic added 3 races, taking it from 12 to 15 (a 25% increase), for AoW3 to equal even the vanila version of AoW2 in terms of number of races, it would require an increase of 100%.

[This message has been edited by Pretty Pony Princess (edited 02-28-2014 @ 01:55 PM).]

ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 02-28-14 02:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 57       
re: races,

It's a new paradigm, befitting a new age in the history of the world. Think postGötterdämmerung, or the Fourth Age of Middle Earth - we've had the decline of the old mythology, the fall of the gods, and the rise of man. Now it's time for Merlin the Wizard to hand the reigns* over to Arthur the King. As foretold to Inioch long ago. They may or may not add races/factions later, but they're not going to go back to the old model unless they do a prequel, and that's another game entirely.

P.S. Welcome home Neo, you've been too long away

*pun intended - yes I know it despite the HoW description it "reins" but Draco wrote that, not me.
ffbj
posted 02-28-14 08:53 PM EDT (US)     7 / 57       
Something like "The Tempest." Where the old age of sorcery and magical creatures is giving way as the modern rational age arrives.

[This message has been edited by ffbj (edited 02-28-2014 @ 08:58 PM).]

albinscott
posted 03-01-14 01:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 57       
Not to mention the great Unofficial Patch!
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 03-01-14 02:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 57       
Well, because it's AoW as long as they haven't changed it too much, I'll still hope to get it, but I'm worried about it being as big a disappointment as Neverwinter Nights 2 was.

I wouldn't have minded so much if they'd kept a couple more races, especially the frostlings and the halflings. Also apparently the elves and dark elves kissed and made up which seems very unlikely. If those races like the archons or halfings are completely gone, I may be able to accept that if there is a (feasible) in game reason, though it would seem more like the developers being lazy...

Though the different class of leader seems cool and apparently each different class has a unique unit as well, which is quite an interesting concept.
P.S. Welcome home Neo, you've been too long away
Thanks. Haven't been active here in ages, the community forum is so inactive which is sad but the game forums here are relatively active. Wonder if you can use your mod powers to unarchive the Valley of Wonders in to perhaps give some activity to the community forum?

Edi
posted 03-01-14 03:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 57       
The game itself has not changed radically, it is very much a recognizable AoW and it melds the best of both AoW1 and Shadow Magic.

As far as the races go, there are good in-game lore explanations for what has happened.

The campaigns focus on the conflict between the human Commonwealth and the Elven Court, so those races who generally inhabit only the inhospitable lands at the edge of the world (the polar regions, deserts etc) have been left out, but there is nothing preventing their addition.

This is most notable with Frostlings, who are immediately mentioned in the Commonwealth campaign. They are spoken of as being present in the world. Tigrans presumably similarly have been pushed out to the deserts and the edges of the more hospitable lands. No official word on that, though.

Archons were cut off from the world after the closing of the Shadow Gates when they joined the hunt for the shadow demons (who are, quite naturally, also gone, as are the syrons). Those who had been killed in the wars before and buried, well...

After Meandor's disappearance through the Shadow Gates (along with the other wizards), the aftermath of the fall of the Wizards and the disappearance of wizard magic in its old form threw the world into chaos and the wood and dark elves had to band together to survive. Julia and one of Meandor's most trusted lieutenants, Saridas, managed a reunification that healed the spiritual breach between the sundered kin and following that, the Elven Court of the High Elves was reconstituted.

Halflings have not been made much of, other than the writing contest that gave five people (myself included) beta access, so how their story is written in the future is still a mystery.

Nomads have been presumably absorbed into the human population, or they are again at the margins and thus not relevant to the central campaign.

Undead may or may not make a reappearance (probably not as a faction of dead animated by demonic spirits, as they were before), but if they do, it will be in a DLC. Necromancer has been mentioned as the strongest candidate for a new DLC class by Triumph.

You will not be going wrong with this game, but if you are hesitant, wait for reviews after release.

Member of the Evil Liberal Conspiracy - Moderate European Conservative
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 03-01-14 05:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 57       
Tbf, that does sound fairly plausible and as such I can accept the elves coming together, and the reason for the Archon's not being about (I never completed Shadow Magic so I wasn't sure how the story ended). I hope they add the Halfings, Frostlings, Undead and Tigrans then. As long as they don't have each one as separate pieces of DLC, that would be a bit annoying.

Thank you, Edi. You've made me feel much better about this game.

morgul666
posted 03-02-14 07:05 AM EDT (US)     12 / 57       
For me, the only two races I´m really missing from the previous titles are the Dark Elves and Undead - the latter belong to each & every fantasy game!
Don´t get me wrong - Undead DO exist in AOW3 also but a lot of cool, innovative or classic undead units are yet missing and for sure need to be added in a DLC imho.
But as was already mentioned - besides the six selectable races, there are a several interesting buildings such as Dragon peaks or giant-menhirs and others adding greatly to the diversity.
Instead of having Orcs AND Goblins in a game that has just six races I personally would have preferred to have something more exotic or exciting than Goblins but I´m counting on DLC - hoping that they don´t exaggerate it with those as I would see compatibility problems with later to be added PBEM or other "multiplayer" modes when player A) has DLC 1 while Player 2 has DLC 2 because of each players preferences in regards to what each DLC offers...
What each individual thinks about the nowadays standard sales-concept called DLC is another topic which is already discussed at various other locations

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-
nyarlathotep
posted 03-02-14 08:54 AM EDT (US)     13 / 57       
Yes, DLC has gotten a very bad name due to some game developers who just want to leach money. I hope Triumph labels it as an expansion pack, to be honest

And while it is said to see some races gone (I really liked the undead in SM), it seems to me that there's not that much lost.

Sure, the masterraces have been cut down, but with all the news, dev-logs, forum posts etc, you notice there's plenty to go around. You can still hire non-faction units, there's "wild-clan" cities you can conquer, a plethora of "summoned" creatures, leader-specific units and enough different animals to form the yummy base of a true Breugel buffet. (What!?! Don't give me that look... I want to keep my Orcs happy )

Proud mapmaker for the UPatch team
One gas to rule them all, One gas to find them
One gas to bring them all and with the Spice we bind them
Creator of the following maps: RenaissanceEarth, RoadToHell, YeOfLittleFaith, FrostbiteDelirium, Stormy Seas
Co-creator for: CityDwellers
together with TravisII

[This message has been edited by nyarlathotep (edited 03-02-2014 @ 08:54 AM).]

ArkhanTheBlack
posted 03-02-14 09:22 AM EDT (US)     14 / 57       
For me, the only two races I´m really missing from the previous titles are the Dark Elves and Undead - the latter belong to each & every fantasy game!
Don´t get me wrong - Undead DO exist in AOW3 also but a lot of cool, innovative or classic undead units are yet missing and for sure need to be added in a DLC imho.
But as was already mentioned - besides the six selectable races, there are a several interesting buildings such as Dragon peaks or giant-menhirs and others adding greatly to the diversity.
Instead of having Orcs AND Goblins in a game that has just six races I personally would have preferred to have something more exotic or exciting than Goblins but I´m counting on DLC - hoping that they don´t exaggerate it with those as I would see compatibility problems with later to be added PBEM or other "multiplayer" modes when player A) has DLC 1 while Player 2 has DLC 2 because of each players preferences in regards to what each DLC offers...
What each individual thinks about the nowadays standard sales-concept called DLC is another topic which is already discussed at various other locations
Actually, I like the way Triumph Studios are going with the undead. IMHO basic undead like skeletons or zombies are just mindless robots without personality under control of a death mage and therefore can't be a race. It would also make undead summons completely boring if a race could just build them. A necromancer leader class makes much more sense. IF they would implement an undead race I'd really like a VERY good explanation how they reproduce themselves. If they feed on other races to increase their numbers okay, but I don't want to read nonsense like "2.000 undead children were born this month".

Though I agree that orcs and goblins are too similar to be two different races. What a waste.

Actually, I hoped for something like sub-races. Play an arch druid leader with elves and you get wood elves. Play a theocrat leader and you get high elves, etc. It would be even more fun if some leader types would be restricted to certain races. For example, the human race could get a unique vampire leader with the ability to create lesser vampires to form a vampire aristocracy that helps him rule the country. Kind of a White Wolf RPG scenario.
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
posted 03-02-14 02:18 PM EDT (US)     15 / 57       
Still seems strange not to have Undead as a race. To me, anyway.

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
MARDUK_RULES
posted 03-02-14 08:32 PM EDT (US)     16 / 57       
Hey Rogeryou old coffin dodger,
Good to see you still alive and kicking!
Perhaps we shall soon meet on the battlefield.
I just preordered for kingchaos and I.

[This message has been edited by MARDUK_RULES (edited 03-02-2014 @ 08:40 PM).]

vota dc
posted 03-03-14 07:19 PM EDT (US)     17 / 57       
About sub-races from what I now it is true in some way that elf theocrat leader is high elves, archdruid is wood elves and rogue is dark elves. Only problem is that from what I know racial units don't change. For example you will get tons of badass evil looking shadowy units as elf rogue leader but you get cavalry with cute unicorns too, or you get uberarmoured orcs if you play as archdruid, or many units that look tribals if you play as dreadnought with goblins!

About orcs and goblins too similar...why? Orcs are strong and lazy while goblins are crafty, weak and coward. Goblins have more in common with dwarves in this serie. Halflings were a lot similar to wood elves: treehuggers with sylvan friends. Undead as race is stupid...skeletons treehuggers? But is a must their return as a class. Highmen were cut because too Chuck Norris, also the class Theocrat I guess cover them a little.Terrain based races like Frostlings, Azracs/Nomads/Tigrans and Lizardmen are a big loss. I thought they were replaced by Archdruid, that you could choose an archdruid that worship the ice and being a frostling, but it is not the case.

Micronazione Impero
Alex Mars
posted 03-03-14 11:17 PM EDT (US)     18 / 57       
The lack of undead as a faction is very disappointing.
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
posted 03-04-14 07:43 PM EDT (US)     19 / 57       
Lizardmen were a lot of fun to play

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
TravisII
posted 03-05-14 00:33 AM EDT (US)     20 / 57       
If AoW3 is anything like AoW and AoWSM, we'll just add our own units/races to the game ~ problem solved!

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
Edi
posted 03-05-14 04:56 AM EDT (US)     21 / 57       
You'll have your work cut out for you because you'll need to make 3D models of everything, including defining squad sizes and such, AND you need to make all the class units for each of the six classes for each race you add.

Some class units that you would need to make models for (this list is not exhaustive):
* scoundrel
* assassin
* martyr
* berserk
* monster slayer
* hunter
* shaman
* crusader

So race units plus x times all class units for your new race or it doesn't work. That's a much bigger job than for AoW1 or AoW2/SM, where race was a faction.

Currently 6 races x 6 classes is 36 combos. If we get one class in a DLC, it's 6 races x 7 classes, for 42 combos. Add another race and it becomes 7x7 and so on.

So modded races start getting really big undertakings in very short order.

PawelS
posted 03-05-14 07:32 AM EDT (US)     22 / 57       
Or perhaps it's possible to change this logic - I mean making a mod where class units work in a different way, and are not copied for all races.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
ArkhanTheBlack
posted 03-05-14 03:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 57       
I'd be already satisfied with army color schemes like in Dawn of War 1 & 2. It's very easy to implement but works wonders for the army look.
White, yellow and light blue colors for armies with 'good' leaders and black, purple or dark blue colors for 'evil' armies. A rogue leader for elves could also use dark unicorns or dark pegasi.
Different army banners, badges or even textures would be the icing on the cake.
TravisII
posted 03-05-14 05:50 PM EDT (US)     24 / 57       
Ah, but the internet is full of 3D models. I dare say they'd be easier to find/adapt (import from other games) to the game than 2D models were to AoW/AoWSM. I guess it depends on how mod friendly AoW3 is.

Also as Pawel says, that'd be interesting to be able to do too.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
ffbj
posted 03-05-14 07:45 PM EDT (US)     25 / 57       
There seems to be an undercurrent of sympathy for the undead, being the first add-on race. Having them surface in an expansion would fit well with the games story, as now there are so many more dead around. Fertile ground for the sprouting of undead.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6491792/jason_and_the_argonauts_1963_dvd_skeleton_fight/

[This message has been edited by ffbj (edited 03-05-2014 @ 07:57 PM).]

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 03-06-14 01:11 PM EDT (US)     26 / 57       
Tbf, AoW3 didn't HAVE to be in 3D....

Alex Mars
posted 03-06-14 07:45 PM EDT (US)     27 / 57       
Making games in 3D sometimes hurts the game, it limits map size. Compare the venerable and excellent Fantasy General, with had huge maps, and Fantasy Wars (essentially the same game), which was limited to much smaller maps.

Unfortunately game company marketing morons and stupid kids demand that all games be in 3D.
morgul666
posted 03-08-14 01:26 AM EDT (US)     28 / 57       
hell on scorched earth.!.!. I didn´t know that they were capable of doing special effects like this back in 1963???!!!????
How´s that possible - I mean especially this fighting with the skeletons?!...
Ah...ok, now I got it...!
They were real of course...

ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 03-08-14 02:00 AM EDT (US)     29 / 57       
They were real of course...;
Right. And so were the penguins Dick Van Dyke danced with

Stop-action animation, multiple exposures, and blue screen photography didn't originate with Star Wars you know.
morgul666
posted 03-09-14 01:44 AM EDT (US)     30 / 57       
Stop-action animation, multiple exposures, and blue screen photography didn't originate with Star Wars you know.
that´s indeed exactly what I thought... (embarrassed smile)
(just had to look up the dick van dyke thing on youtube and had to smile broadly about one comment there:

So this is where the baggy trousers fashion came from then 

COCONUTKNIGHT
posted 03-09-14 08:10 PM EDT (US)     31 / 57       
@ Alex Mars, for what it's worth, maps here are HUGE.

Take an old, dirty, hungry, mangy, sick and wet dog and feed him and wash him and nurse him back to health, and he will never turn on you and bite you.

This is how man and dog differ.
Alex Mars
posted 03-09-14 10:43 PM EDT (US)     32 / 57       
Thagdarf
posted 03-11-14 04:02 PM EDT (US)     33 / 57       
While I generally am a fan of 2D over 3D in some ways (artistic style), there are several good arguments for 3D as well. In this case specifically I believe they mentioned that the special units for the various leader classes are base creatures added with templates, basically you have a standard goblin, and apply the "Theocrat unit" template on top, giving the standard goblin (graphic + stats) the correct effects, to get a winged, flying goblin with flaming sword, etc.

This is something that would require multiple animations hand drawn for a 2D game, and if each "leader" has one of these, for each race that is still 6x6 before they start making extra stuff. They might have done the same with all units of one race, say you have a standard Dwarf, and then just apply equipment and stuff to them to fill out the various units for Dwarves.

If you ever want to actually have your leader display the weapons, armor and other equipment he wears, you're going to be stuck playing with 3D games etc, because no designer in their right mind is willing to sit and draw up 2d arts for a gazillion items, and make certain they all fit a paper-doll.

I just hope they manage to get a good visual style going, like they had in AoW1 especially, where everything, every unit, town, terrain etc just seemed to fit seamlessly together. Unlike say HoMM2 where a battlefield typically looked like a background picture with a dozen different "paper cut outs" glued on top. The kind of style unity of AoW1 is what I often find 3D games struggle the most with.

Example, Temple of Elemental Evil game by Troika has a very good combination of this, with 2D backgrounds and a 3D engine for all characters, npcs, items etc. A good mixture that managed to maintain a good all over presentation. This would probably not be a good idea in AoW3, because just thinking about the various terrain effects and spells of earlier AoW games, like raise terrain, rejuvenate, flood etc, will make 3D maps a much better option.

/rant
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 03-12-14 06:58 AM EDT (US)     34 / 57       
Had I known AoWIII was coming, I wouldn't have bought HOMM V.... though I suppose it was only about £3

ArkhanTheBlack
posted 03-12-14 07:15 PM EDT (US)     35 / 57       
AOW3 looks pretty fine in 3D for the most part. The only thing I don't like so far are the leader models. The faces in particular look horrible. I'd prefer a 2D portrait over them any day. I hope there's an option to use custom portraits.
COCONUTKNIGHT
posted 03-14-14 03:34 AM EDT (US)     36 / 57       
@ Arkhan, as far as I know, that's not an option, currently.

It might be on their to do list post release. Ask a dev.

Take an old, dirty, hungry, mangy, sick and wet dog and feed him and wash him and nurse him back to health, and he will never turn on you and bite you.

This is how man and dog differ.
Leonaru
posted 03-14-14 11:59 AM EDT (US)     37 / 57       
According to GOG.com:

http://www.gog.com/game/age_of_wonders_3

AoW3 preorders will come with a "unique preorder DLC: Elven Resurgence, a standalone scenario." So yeah, they are taking the DLC cash grab route with this game.
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 03-14-14 01:56 PM EDT (US)     38 / 57       
'Rewards' for pre-ordering a game are hardly unique.

PawelS
posted 03-17-14 03:20 PM EDT (US)     39 / 57       
A DLC that has only one scenario? I don't think it's a good idea.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
naecO
posted 03-18-14 03:07 AM EDT (US)     40 / 57       
With all the magnificent custom scenarios I've seen made over the years, game dev's scenarios often look like a kids' toy.

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
ZombieEater
posted 03-19-14 09:36 AM EDT (US)     41 / 57       
Yea, if you just buy the deluxe edition for the bonus scenarios..., you may want to rethink that.

I bought it to throw some extra money at TS. For all the years that I played AoWSM with just the initial box price, it turned out as just a huge value overall.

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
ffbj
posted 03-20-14 07:17 PM EDT (US)     42 / 57       
Truly. The genius of the series is the ability to create your own scenarios. The individual, with the benefit of time,
can create intricate maps that are filled with detail.
Additionally since you are crowd sourcing to thousands of people you get a broad spectrum of creative endeavor.
Not so much group think, in other words.
ZombieEater
posted 03-20-14 09:32 PM EDT (US)     43 / 57       
Well, there is arguably also less pressure on "community" map developers. If you map crashes, signs aren't filled in, it's not balanced, you shrug.

If you are the developer of the game you really can't goof. It's their job, sure, but it's also part of the "making your first impression".

I stopped playing the last HoMM I did play (5?) halfway through the campaign and haven't touched it since because of a crash bug in their campaign map. Forums revealed that this wasn't just my problem.

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
Alex Mars
posted 03-21-14 09:45 PM EDT (US)     44 / 57       
There is a lot of pressure on community map makers. People take the time to point out mistakes, crashes, balance issues, and the like and maps get improved. In addition, we map makers get exposed to criticism that is much less filtered and far more blunt than any developer receives.

In the majority of cases is not a case of tossing a map out there and if it is borked you just shrug and move on.

[This message has been edited by Alex Mars (edited 03-21-2014 @ 09:47 PM).]

sikbok
VIP
posted 03-22-14 09:13 PM EDT (US)     45 / 57       
"In addition, we map makers get exposed to criticism that is much less filtered and far more blunt than any developer receives."
; )>

Think the community will have a blast with the Level Editor. Looking forward to see what you guys and girls come up with.

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

morgul666
posted 03-23-14 02:57 AM EDT (US)     46 / 57       
hehe...I hope your words are followed by actions soon
in other words: LET´s HAVE IT !!

sikbok
VIP
posted 03-23-14 04:16 AM EDT (US)     47 / 57       
You might be pleasantly surprised Morgul.
Hope you have good reverse engineering skills though.

Are you on that 6y old machines btw?
Not 100% sure how LevelEd copes with limited resources.

Atari TeenAge Riot

[This message has been edited by sikbok (edited 03-23-2014 @ 04:18 AM).]

morgul666
posted 03-23-14 09:13 AM EDT (US)     48 / 57       
dammit - I learned something new today - never heard about "reverse engieering" before...
Guess during my engineering studies I only learned "forward engineering" LOL

But yes - usually I´m good at discovering unkown territory

And again yes - I´m still using my 6++ years old relic and you certainly are not going to tell me that the game itself has been running perfectly now on that relic for the last three months but the (static) Editor won´t ??

That´s hard to believe...

Edi
posted 03-23-14 09:24 AM EDT (US)     49 / 57       
They've done a lot of work to optimize the game itself to run on older systems, but the editor is basically unoptimized and will require more oomph from the hardware for that reason. Especially if it needs to show you an entire map full of map objects, locations, stacks, units etc and all of that is animated.

Without fog of war on, it will do a number on older systems.

sikbok
VIP
posted 03-23-14 12:24 PM EDT (US)     50 / 57       
Reverse engineering is a way of life.
I always forget how things work, so I tend to work it out when I get going again : )>

Well, it might work Morgul but I'm not sure. Like Edit said, we've done only minimal optimization. We use some tricks to get it to run on our lower spec machines back in the office.

But please, don't try making an extra large map with max layers of underground. That'll be torture for the poor machine.

With a bit of luck the editor will make it to a build near you soon. I'll be sure to post it in the changelog : )>

Atari TeenAge Riot

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames