You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.58 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » pre order?
Bottom
Topic Subject:pre order?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
you3
posted 02-26-14 12:34 PM EDT (US)         
For those who have played the beta can you comment if it is safe to pre order or if we world wait for reviews. ..

Also does the stream version use Amy of steam features such as library for easy install of fan made content or match making? I.e stream or gog?
AuthorReplies:
ZombieEater
posted 02-26-14 04:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 58       
It's Age of Wonders made by Triumph Studios. 'nuff said!

But seriously, these guys have made 3 AoW games and all were fantastic! TS has earned the trust to get day 1 preorders.

And on that note -- shouldn't the front page be updated with the preorder info? Email to nojd bounced...

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...

[This message has been edited by ZombieEater (edited 02-26-2014 @ 04:55 PM).]

ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 02-26-14 05:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 58       
*double post*

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum

[This message has been edited by ChowGuy (edited 02-26-2014 @ 05:44 PM).]

ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 02-26-14 05:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 58       
Nojd isn't here anymore. Waiting on Swolte to post something official, since he's actually on-board with things and I'm not but we'll see.

The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
The Harlequin
posted 02-27-14 10:21 AM EDT (US)     4 / 58       
For those who have played the beta can you comment if it is safe to pre order or if we world wait for reviews. ..
That's very subjective. What works for us might not work for you.

Still, I can tell you what I told someone else in the official forum, and that's that, for what I saw, most of us are preordering the game.

But if you feel unsafe, even with the huge amount of info now flooding the web, then I'd say you should probably wait.
PawelS
posted 02-27-14 10:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 58       
Some information for those who consider preordering the game:

First, it's not an improved version of AoWSM. It's a different game. Some things get less focus that in previous AoW games (races, for example), and some things get more focus (leader classes are much more detailed than AoWSM wizard skills).

There are some things I don't like, like the right-click-to-move-or-attack interface, and the flanking mechanic (which is a needless complication of combat IMO). But I like most of the new features, here are a few examples:

* Dwellings - city-like structures that produce units belonging to "minor races"
* Quests from independent cities and dwellings
* Structures (including explored lairs and ruins) giving bonuses to nearby cities
* Hero upgrade system (AoW1-like, but with "diminishing returns" - first point of defense costs 1 skill point, next 2 skill points, and so on)
* Research system - you can research not only spells, but also "technologies" that help you in various areas
* Cloth map

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
ffbj
posted 02-27-14 01:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 58       
I like the part about hero's getting diminishing returns specifically. After a certain point in the original game hero's became too powerful, say after 20th level or thereabouts, they could hardly be killed, except by other very powerful hero's or god-like stacks.
Other improvements are fine too. I just thought that was one area that needed work.
ZombieEater
posted 02-27-14 02:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 58       
Ah, ok. If Nojd isn't here anymore we should change the forum admin email at same point.

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 02-27-14 03:22 PM EDT (US)     8 / 58       
Ah, ok. If Nojd isn't here anymore we should change the forum admin email at same point.
Hmmm... good point. I'll mention that. I assume you're talking about the "Submit News" link on the main page? It's embedded in the HTML, and I don't think anybody's messed with that in Ages (pun intended).

For the record though like any other HG site the Admin of AoWH/AoW2H is and always has been the Seraph (the guy in the orange robes) 'cause ya'know, that what Seraph means and his mailto: link can be found in the "Moderator" column to the right of the main forum page or at the of any forum he moderates.

[This message has been edited by ChowGuy (edited 02-27-2014 @ 03:41 PM).]

ZombieEater
posted 02-27-14 04:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 58       
Yea, my bad. That looks like it was it - Submit News. Shows up as nojd's address in preview.

ArkhanTheBlack
posted 02-27-14 05:26 PM EDT (US)     10 / 58       
Is there any information about the new economic system in comparison to the one from AOW2?
I always found the one from AOW2 too simplistic.

Furthermore, is there more 'life' in the game? AOW2 always felt more like a turn based RTS than a real TBS.
Are there any cool global events like Antarens and space monsters in Orion 2 or Orthus and Acheron in FFH2?
you3
posted 02-27-14 05:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 58       
Any comments on steam vs gog that is unique for this game? I.e, does this game take any advantage of steam beyond auto patch and cheaper doc in the future?
Merkraad
posted 03-01-14 08:40 AM EDT (US)     12 / 58       
Pre-ordered at Gog =D

I don't have fond memories of Steam but I didn't use it for years. I'd also like to know if there are any perks to it.

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!

[This message has been edited by Merkraad (edited 03-01-2014 @ 08:43 AM).]

MARDUK_RULES
posted 03-02-14 08:41 PM EDT (US)     13 / 58       
Steam is pretty nice. I do like the fact that they seem to keep servers open longer than most developers. In game chat is also a perk. Plus the free trials and sales are always nice especially if you have a good internet connection.
neo222
posted 03-03-14 05:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 58       
Waiting on Swolte to post something official, since he's actually on-board with things and I'm not but we'll see.
Swolte's still here?

As for Steam, I like it. It's great having games that are cloud based so CD's are not quite obsolete but I use them far less. In game chat is cool, and achievements are always fun! Plus, it's always nice to see what my other friends (which tbf is mostly other people from HG) are up to game-wise. I had heard Steam getting bad press in the past but I've never had any issues with it.

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...

[This message has been edited by Pretty Pony Princess (edited 03-03-2014 @ 05:19 AM).]

RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
posted 03-03-14 07:22 AM EDT (US)     15 / 58       
Swolte's still here?
If he is still here then he's doing a great job of keeping a low profile

The only vaguely positive that I can think of to say about Steam is that it isn't as awful as Origin.

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
neo222
posted 03-03-14 07:47 AM EDT (US)     16 / 58       
If he is still here then he's doing a great job of keeping a low profile
Well, if he is inactive then you'd need a mod of the Community Forum, I mean what if a spam bot decided to attack?! So I'm happy to be a mod of a forum that hasn't had a post in 2014

And what's wrong with Steam?

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
Edi
posted 03-03-14 08:03 AM EDT (US)     17 / 58       
Some of us don't like software that likes to always run in the background and spams us with adverts every time we close it.

I much prefer GOG for that reason and I've had quite a bit of experience with Steam during the beta. No denying that Steam has a lot of nifty features that make life comfortable if you like to use the software, so it is a matter of preference.

From my point of view, if someone prefers to be absolutely, positively and utterly wrong (and use Steam), that is their privilege.

Seriously, someone else using it is no skin off my back, so I don't mind it as such. What I would mind is if I was forced to use it for lack of alternatives.

Member of the Evil Liberal Conspiracy - Moderate European Conservative
ffbj
posted 03-03-14 01:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 58       
I use it for a simple reason that I have no credit online, no accounts, credit cards, etc...I can buy a steam card at the local game shop for games I can get only on steam. Like AoW, with no boxed set, and no distribution here.
I am old school paranoid, a bit. If I want to buy something online, like hardware, my friends buy it and I give them 10% of the purchase price. In case anyone wondered.
PawelS
posted 03-03-14 02:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 58       
I use PayPal for buying things from Steam and similar sources. But I never associate my PayPal account with my credit card (as they often prompt me to do). I just transfer money from my account to PayPal when needed - I think it's safer this way.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
ffbj
posted 03-04-14 07:35 PM EDT (US)     20 / 58       
Ah. I had been thinking about doing something like that. Thanks for the information.
RogerRabid
posted 03-04-14 07:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 58       
Well, if he is inactive then you'd need a mod of the Community Forum, I mean what if a spam bot decided to attack?! So I'm happy to be a mod of a forum that hasn't had a post in 2014
This is a very important time in the history of AoW. Swolte should be here, showering us all with beta keys...

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
Edi
posted 03-05-14 00:27 AM EDT (US)     22 / 58       
The flaw in that brilliant plan is that he doesn't have influence over beta tester selection, roger.

TravisII
posted 03-05-14 00:34 AM EDT (US)     23 / 58       
I'm probably going to give in and pre-order the game soon...

Can't let you guys have all the fun without me.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
you3
posted 03-05-14 07:16 AM EDT (US)     24 / 58       
Wish the devs would chime in and state authority if there is any difference between the gog and steam version (other than achievements) ?
RogerRabid
posted 03-05-14 09:10 AM EDT (US)     25 / 58       
The flaw in that brilliant plan is that he doesn't have influence over beta tester selection, roger.
So let me get this straight, just in case I'm missing something obvious here. The devs don't post here any more. Swolte is invisible, even though a new AoW is soon to be released.

Is there something political going on here that I'm not aware of?

The Harlequin
posted 03-05-14 01:28 PM EDT (US)     26 / 58       
Devs are in crunch time. Soon the game will enter lock-down so they are busier than ever. That means they can't follow several forums.

As for Swolte, he'll surely respond for himself but my impression is he's mightly busy. He's been providing feedback and was very welcomed by devs/testers alike when he joined. So I very much doubt there's anything political going on
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 03-05-14 04:58 PM EDT (US)     27 / 58       
I've heard from Swolte and Enginerd both, and they're both aware of what's going on here, but besides the beta stuff, they're majorly occupied with something called Real Life™ at the moment. Can't say any more, but I've heard of that; it's supposed to be a real time sink.
TravisII
posted 03-05-14 05:47 PM EDT (US)     28 / 58       
Sounds boring!

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 03-05-14 05:59 PM EDT (US)     29 / 58       
Sounds boring!
There was a whole thread about it recently on the Giant in the Playground Forum. Frankly from all the comments there, I'm surprised anybody plays that game.
ZombieEater
posted 03-06-14 06:31 AM EDT (US)     30 / 58       
I'm still waiting for them to add a save game function, so I can take a break. Right now, you have to let it run, so if you take a nap, stuff just passes you by. Very annoying.

you3
posted 03-06-14 06:58 AM EDT (US)     31 / 58       
Well I sent trumph email 4 days ago asking about the difference between gog and steam version and no response. It took Larian only 20 hours to answer the same question. Hum. Maybe I should skip the game ?
The Harlequin
posted 03-06-14 08:55 AM EDT (US)     32 / 58       
Isn't that information found on the respective sites?

FYI, Lennart said this about their listed emails:
Our general email boxes listed are indeed a spam infested mess
http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/jimmy-about-localization/#post-14637

So maybe that's why they didn't get back to you.

[This message has been edited by The Harlequin (edited 03-06-2014 @ 09:09 AM).]

Edi
posted 03-06-14 10:50 AM EDT (US)     33 / 58       
This thread should have the answers about GOG and Steam versions.

And this one has the stuff about the various boxed editions.

The information is not hard to find and one should always expect any email addresses posted to the internet to be flooded with spam to the degree of being practically useless.

morgul666
posted 03-06-14 10:59 AM EDT (US)     34 / 58       
Coming back to the initial question of this thread from a more technical pov:

YES - I can recommend pre-ordering the game for many good reasons - as long as your system supports it technicalwise.

To give you an idea: It runs pretty fine, nice and stable on my museum relic which is ... yes... 6?... years old and I didnīt have to upgrade anything except my OS (From WIN XP to WIN 7 - but this is only true because I was part of Beta from the very beginning where the game had some problems with XP which were very rapidly fixed so afaik now, the game runs also fine on XP - although a bit slower than on Win 7 at least on my museum-relict.

Details on that relic:

Pentium Dualcore E6500 2,93 GHZ
512 MB AMD Radeon 5670
2 GB Ram

This was for me the TOP-Prio criteria whether to get the game or not for I wouldnīt invest in my PC one single cent anymore in this life just for gamingīs sake... these times are over since I got my Xbox.

But if performance is not an issue - I can recommend the game! No fan of the series should be overly dissapointed (moderate tolerance-factor provided...
For sure there are tons of changes and I donīt like all of em - but the number of those which improve the game compared to the former titles is bigger.
Anyone who liked the development of HOMM 6 in certain aspects (like mines and nodes need to be in your area to be "productive" for you) should also be happy with the new development of AOWSM which adds greatly to this in several aspects.
Whether the reduction of races gets fully compensated by the new diversity driven by the six classes remains to be seen after the first 10000 or so gaming hours but I think this is fine and I personally donīt miss many of the old races which are gone now.
The skill system of heroes and units has been elevated into new spheres - some skills are gone due to technical reasons but most of those which we loved remained.
At the end of the day, Iīm happy that itīs a new game after all and not just an AOWSM with modern graphics.
Saying this Iīm looking forward to seeing the 1.5 patch - for I hope and wish that there still will be nice PBEMīs on this in the years to come as well! At least as long as AOWIII doesnīt offer the PBEM mode...

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-

[This message has been edited by morgul666 (edited 03-06-2014 @ 11:25 AM).]

you3
posted 03-06-14 07:45 PM EDT (US)     35 / 58       
Edi the thread you link is junk. It has players speculation. In fact it is worse because they refuse to answer the question on their own forums and there are at least four similar threads which show people are confused but the devs don't seem to give a hoot.
COCONUTKNIGHT
posted 03-09-14 08:24 PM EDT (US)     36 / 58       
Gog Deluxe

http://www.gog.com/game/age_of_wonders_3_deluxe_edition

Gog regular

http://www.gog.com/game/age_of_wonders_3

difference = soundtrack, Dragon's Throne scenario.

================//======================

Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226840/

same difference for regular/deluxe.

The difference between GoG and Steam, is the difference between GoG and Steam.

Do you want a copy that you 'own' or are you happy with having Steam on your computer?

That is essentially all it boils down to.

For what it's worth, you can play AoW3 offline, but it will start Steam, if you have the Steam version. Going into the program folder and trying to run the .exe itself doesn't work.

Back to the OP, yes I recommend buying this game. You are going to have to relearn AoW, and most of your SM tricks aren't going to work here (uber heroes, uber unbeatable stacks, mass unit enchantments on the strategic map, dancing around the battlefield with a weak flying unit, thinking you're safe behind mountains). The game is worth buying just for the new tactical combat system alone imho.

Take an old, dirty, hungry, mangy, sick and wet dog and feed him and wash him and nurse him back to health, and he will never turn on you and bite you.

This is how man and dog differ.

[This message has been edited by COCONUTKNIGHT (edited 03-09-2014 @ 08:27 PM).]

you3
posted 03-10-14 06:59 AM EDT (US)     37 / 58       
Cocoknut - are you saying that the steam version will use steam libraries (for fan made content) and steam match making for match making as well as linux version ?
COCONUTKNIGHT
posted 03-10-14 03:22 PM EDT (US)     38 / 58       
Don't quote me on anything You3, I'm not in blue .

As far as I know the question over the use of those Steam features has NOT been addressed.

I was attemtping to answer your last question, namely GoG or Steam. At the moment it appears that you get exactly the same game, and the only differences are to do with pricing and DRM, basically whether or not you agree with Steam, or not.

The closest thing I have found to a definitive answer was posted by Sikbok here:[url=http://steamcommunity.com/app/226840/discussions/0/540734792586691746/][/url]

I quote:

"There is an item forge you can build in cities that allows you to craft items in game.

You seem to refer to modding tools however.
We'll ship the game with a level editor. That will allow you to make maps.

Not 100% sure on these but it might also allow you to:
Make campaigns, by stringing maps together.
Customize heroes on those maps.
Customize leader on those maps.
Customize items on those maps.
Script some stuff.

We'll look into more modding support - game resource modding, steam workshop - after we release the game."

Take an old, dirty, hungry, mangy, sick and wet dog and feed him and wash him and nurse him back to health, and he will never turn on you and bite you.

Edi
posted 03-14-14 04:54 PM EDT (US)     39 / 58       
Multiplayer matchmaking will be handled by a Triumph server so that Steam and GOG copies can play together.

Maps and other similar will also use the AoW3 content, in this instance Steam Workshop and other such are only methods of distribution.

Alex Mars
posted 03-14-14 09:16 PM EDT (US)     40 / 58       
Maps and other similar will also use the AoW3 content, in this instance Steam Workshop and other such are only methods of distribution.

What does that mean?
COCONUTKNIGHT
posted 03-15-14 03:02 PM EDT (US)     41 / 58       
I think that means that if you have the GoG version you can still play things that show up in Steam workshop.

LunaPark
posted 03-16-14 05:06 PM EDT (US)     42 / 58       
i heard somewhere that gog needs to download games again to install the patches, is this true? i only can use 25gig a month so 10gig for each patch is a waste for me. I've gone with steam regardless tho i would of liked gogs no DRM.
Edi
posted 03-17-14 06:50 AM EDT (US)     43 / 58       
Most GOG patches do not require full redownload of the entire game, only a smaller file that will actually patch the installed files.

sikbok
VIP
posted 03-22-14 08:52 PM EDT (US)     44 / 58       
Hi,

To answer the OP, at the moment there is no difference between the Steam and GoG versions of the game. So you can pick the platform you like best.

Also, since multiplayer games are started via our backend people on either platform can play together.

On modding. We'll ship with the Level Editor, not with Steam Workshop integration. So that is not a reason to go for Steam at the moment. Sharing maps should not be a problem, since there is support for clients downloading the map from the host.

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

Dapper
posted 03-24-14 07:59 PM EDT (US)     45 / 58       
Personally, I'd much prefer the gog version, but the difference in price between this and the Steam version is ridiculous.

For me the gog version is 40 Euros and the Steam version is 12 Euros.

Guess I'll just wait for a gog sale...
darkelvesrule
posted 03-25-14 11:26 AM EDT (US)     46 / 58       
sikbok says:
To answer the OP, at the moment there is no difference between the Steam and GoG versions of the game. So you can pick the platform you like best.
Are you saying that there will be differences in the future? e.g. content available on steam, but not available if you bought the gog version?
sikbok
VIP
posted 03-25-14 05:06 PM EDT (US)     47 / 58       
Last time I checked Triumph wasn't big on platform exclusive deals.

I was referring to the version numbers of the builds. Those might go slightly out of sync due to the way they handle updating.

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

[This message has been edited by sikbok (edited 03-25-2014 @ 05:06 PM).]

Alex Mars
posted 03-25-14 08:15 PM EDT (US)     48 / 58       
I just pre-ordered the GoG edition. I'm not going to have any free time, Elder Scrolls Online launches Sunday and AoW3 comes out on Monday.
ffbj
posted 03-26-14 06:16 PM EDT (US)     49 / 58       
You poor thing.
Alex Mars
posted 03-26-14 08:27 PM EDT (US)     50 / 58       
Maybe I will install them on each of my computers and play them simultaneously.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames