You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Questing in AOW3 ?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Questing in AOW3 ?
you3
posted 02-17-13 07:47 AM EDT (US)         
I might have missed this but will there be questing in AOW3 and rpg like explortation. I forget the name but one of the fan made scenario for AOW2 sm actually did quite a bit in this area but was some what limited by the AOW2 engine. So I guess this is more of a question but will AOW3 attempt to add more RPG like factors into the story line while maintaing AOW traditional strong TBS combat (when I mention RPG factors above I'm talking more about questing exploration than the ability to select skills as your hero levels)
AuthorReplies:
sikbok
VIP
posted 02-17-13 08:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Hi you3,

I've been working on quests not too long ago.
Compared to AoW2:SM the system will be more flexible, especially when quests are hand crafted into maps.
Actually adding custom quests to maps might take a bit more effort then in AoW3.

Next challenge will be getting quests working in all situations in the game, e.g. generated quests on rmg maps, balanced quests in multiplayer.

That won't be easy, since these are not really the natural environment for quests, but from what I've see now we should be able to give you guys - and girls - that fantasy adventure feel across all our game modes.

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

you3
posted 02-17-13 08:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Thank you for the feedback.
sikbok
VIP
posted 02-17-13 08:50 AM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
yw you3

On sundays, I can browse the forums at leisure.
With a nice cup of tea and my freshly baked cookies : )>

Atari TeenAge Riot

Picard
posted 02-17-13 08:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
As long as quests don't require us to destroy our own resource structures. While those made sense conceptually, they were a real pain in the ass.
sikbok
VIP
posted 02-17-13 08:55 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Hi Picard,

I remember spec'ing a property to set that : )>

However, you'll be at the mercy of your friendly neighborhood map maker and/or the RMG ; P>

Atari TeenAge Riot

naecO
posted 02-17-13 08:56 AM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
Actually adding custom quests to maps might take a bit more effort then in AoW3.
By that you mean that creating quests for custom scenarios in the editor will be more complex? I'm not hardcore map makers like morgul or the Groll who love to dump thousands of quests into their maps so anything that is more difficult than 1+1 might be a challenge for me

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
sikbok
VIP
posted 02-17-13 09:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Hi naecO,

I wouldn't worry too much. The 'custom' in that quote is the key word.
If you want to add something special - i.e. something not supported in regular quest - it'll take more effort.
That's what is required to get the flexibility we're looking for working.

However, if you're going for the standard stuff it might even be a bit easier then it was before.

Atari TeenAge Riot

i30817
posted 02-17-13 01:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Will you have a scripting language and a api to inspect game state properties? Ie; if i want to see if the leader has bowmen on his stack, can i?
naecO
posted 02-17-13 09:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
That's exciting to hear Sikbok! I'm always amazed at what the Aow:SM Editor can do. It's the source of life for the current games to breath. A better editor in aow3 means a long and healthy life for the game.

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames