You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.80 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Fantasy TBS games of 2013 - AoW3 and its competitors
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fantasy TBS games of 2013 - AoW3 and its competitors
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
PawelS
posted 02-08-13 02:12 PM EDT (US)         
Here is a list of known fantasy turn-based strategy games, that are planned to be released in 2013, with links to their websites:

Age of Wonders 3
The Banner Saga
Eador. Masters of the Broken World
Fallen Enchantress - Legendary Heroes
Legends of Eisenwald
Might & Magic Heroes VI: Shades of Darkness
Worlds of Magic

Other recommended games:

Age of Decadence
Chaos Chronicles
Divinity: Dragon Commander
Divinity: Original Sin
Endless Space (an expansion pack is planned this year)
Europa Universalis IV
Iron Grip: Marauders
Might & Magic Heroes Online
M.O.R.E.
Predestination
Total War: Rome II
Wasteland 2

If you know a game that fulfills the criteria (fantasy, turn-based, strategy, 2013 release) and is not on the list, don't hesitate to post about it here. As with the 2012 thread, you can also recommend games that don't fulfill the criteria, they will be added to a separate list.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 02-17-2013 @ 05:37 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Nimretil
posted 02-08-13 02:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 80       
Might and Magic Heroes 6: Shades of Darkness
ArkhanTheBlack
posted 02-08-13 02:51 PM EDT (US)     2 / 80       
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes expansion

Endless Space expansion

Europa Universalis IV

Total War: Rome 2
bam65
posted 02-08-13 02:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 80       
There's a bunch of TBS games coming up if you look through Kickstarter and Steam(and if you believe they will actually be released). I pointed out Chaos Chronicles in another thread. It's a turn-based RPG coming out fairly soon(supposedly).
igoraki
posted 02-08-13 02:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 80       
Legendary Heroes,expansion for Fallen Enchantress is expected to be released in April so i guess you can add it to the list as well.

Legendary Heroes features:

New champion progression system
Improved tactical combat
Dozens of new spells, abilities and equipment
10 New monster classes
Gigantic new map size
Legendary Heroes scenario

In Legendary Heroes, the champions seek you out based on your fame.Your kingdom gains fame through a variety of means and as a result, the player’s affinity with champions is now tied to the choices their Kingdom as a whole makes.

Players will immediately recognize that the world has changed.Besides just looking a lot better, the battles are far more intense. Units have a lot more skills to choose from in battle and the maps are much more varied. We redid virtually all of them.

"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."
you3
posted 02-08-13 04:16 PM EDT (US)     5 / 80       
If you include
Chaos Chronicles
--
I think you just gotta include dragon commander and original sin (dragon commander is a strategy game i htink tbs) and original sin is an rpg with tbs combat).
-
Both by Larian Studio.

Here is a game play video for dragon commander; it is a bit dated so things might have changed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H45h8IDG9O8
--
Btw they were going to offer an actual board game as a special edition.
-
original sin is due out in the fall and this game is suppose to be a bit earlier so i guess early summer.

[This message has been edited by you3 (edited 02-08-2013 @ 04:47 PM).]

Oleg123
posted 02-08-13 11:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 80       
Age of Decadance - 3D story oriented RPG w. TB fights.

Spell check failed - not enough mana
Narvek
VIP
posted 02-09-13 05:32 AM EDT (US)     7 / 80       
Nice thread idea PawelS.

As bam65 mentioned there's quite a lot on kickstarter. Predestination and M.O.R.E. spring to mind, they're both space themed.

Greetings,
NARVEK
bam65
posted 02-09-13 08:27 AM EDT (US)     8 / 80       
Just to clarify a few things:
Age of Decadance - 3D story oriented RPG w. TB fights.

I mentioned that one too in the older thread. It's been in development for like 10 years or something though so who knows if it will ever be released.
There's a bunch of TBS games coming up if you look through Kickstarter and Steam(and if you believe they will actually be released).

When I mention Steam I meant there's quite a few TBS games in the Greenlight section; a list of games that people vote for to be made available on Steam once they are released.
Decado
posted 02-10-13 01:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 80       
Banner Saga seems like it would fit the criteria.

Did HoMM6 ever get patched/modded into something good? I heard it was pretty mediocre out of the gate.
PawelS
posted 02-17-13 05:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 80       
All games proposed in this thread (and some from the old 2012 thread) are added to the lists, more of them are welcome

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
you3
posted 02-17-13 07:44 AM EDT (US)     11 / 80       
Too many games; not enough time I didn't manage to get very far into 2012 games and most of them were a bit lack luster.
-
Actually there is one more game I wanted to mention that looks fantastic (this is from rpgwatch):
Expeditions: Conquistador
(preview)
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3197.0.html

-
In a weird way it looks a little like AoD (not so much in theme but style). If you look at update #18 they show a long combat squence (it is TBS); combat does not seem the games strongest point (definitely not up to par with AOW ); but the text quests look fantastic.
(link to update #18 that shows combat)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2128128298/expeditions-conquistador/posts

(I was not a backer of this game) Btw; the release date is Feb 28. Given the modest budget and development time I suspect the overall length of the game is rather short
bam65
posted 02-17-13 09:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 80       
I was going to mention Expeditions: Conquistador.

If I get the time I might look up a few more games in development that fit the criteria. Like I said before, you can compile a list based on games being considered for Steam(through Greenlight) and Kickstarter.
bam65
posted 02-19-13 02:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 80       
This game just showed up on Steam:Greenlight today...

http://xulima.com

Isometric, turn based RPG.
you3
posted 02-19-13 05:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 80       
Hard to tell; a bit of it looked a little cheesy. In the end it might be a great game but (as a consumer) I'm not as sure about that one as some of the others.
bam65
posted 02-19-13 05:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 80       
I don't know, looked pretty good to me, especially when there's not much in the way of turn based RPGs out there. You get to play a whole party instead of just one character and that's a huge plus also.
you3
posted 02-28-13 10:18 AM EDT (US)     16 / 80       
New info on dragon commander:\

http://www.divinitydragoncommander.com/
-
This seems like a new sort of game from a well respected developer.
bam65
posted 02-28-13 01:37 PM EDT (US)     17 / 80       
RTS = automatic fail for me.
balance11
posted 02-28-13 03:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 80       
Regarding upcoming Eador: I like the way they present it in videos explaining various aspects of the game. I'd appreciate something like this for AOW3 later on.
Celtioch
posted 03-11-13 12:15 PM EDT (US)     19 / 80       
Fantasy Turn Based Strategy is probably my favorite sub-genre in video gaming, primarily through the efforts of a particular series of games I grew up with (No prizes for guessing that, considering the forum I'm on right now). However, I feel that so many games of the genre really do tend to fall a bit flat in a lot of regards in the past few years. I adored Heroes of Might and Magic, but V and VI lost me. The story wasn't bad (despite it being exceptionally predictable), nor was the combat and progression... but it seemed to lose some of the strategy and grander variety and city development of the earlier games in the series with rather little to show in return.

I enjoyed Elemental: Fallen Enchantress, but despite its recent release it seems to me to be an inferior version of an Age of Wonders game to me.It has more RPG elements and customization options, but at the same time it has, in my opinion, generally weaker characters, less tactical combat, more restricted (and generally uninteresting) spellcasting system as well as an under-developed city/settlement system. Despite the years in difference between, say, Shadow Magic and it, even the visuals seemed unimpressive.

Of the listed games that are not expansions to what I just mentioned, I'm certainly curious for what they will offer, and competition is always healthy... but my optimism has waned with my repeated experiments into Fantasy TBS (which calls into question if I can call it my 'favorite genre' if I can only name one-and-a-half series that has made it so).
NTJedi
posted 03-11-13 05:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 80       
RTS = automatic fail for me.
I agree for most cases, however... if a TBS game has an easily adjustable game speed setting the RTS game might be worth playing and keeping.

The original Stronghold game and even its sequel Stronghold Crusader allowed you to easily adjust the game speed... to the point where it was virtually a TBS game on the slowest speed!! It's great and I still play on occassion.

Check it out, but start with the original before trying the sequel because the game speed adjusting setting is not as good on Stronghold Crusader.

There can be only one.
Highlander
you3
posted 03-12-13 07:15 AM EDT (US)     21 / 80       
How about shadowrun returns ?
-
game play video here:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/08/shadowrun-returns-alpha-gameplay-commentary

[This message has been edited by you3 (edited 03-12-2013 @ 07:17 AM).]

LunaPark
posted 03-12-13 10:34 AM EDT (US)     22 / 80       
shadowrun looks cool, i was a fan of the snes version.
mbpopolano24
posted 03-14-13 01:09 PM EDT (US)     23 / 80       
Sovereignty (TBS, fantasy):

http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com/site/game/sovereignty-crown-of-kings/

The Dark Triad (cRPG, TB combat):

http://the-dark-triad.com/
Decado
posted 03-26-13 12:10 PM EDT (US)     24 / 80       
There are a couple TBS Game Workshop titles in the works:

Space Hulk (turn-based tactical)

http://www.spacehulk-game.com/

Also, an untitled TBS game from Slitherine. Uses the Warhammer 40k license, I believe.

There is a also a great list of upcoming RPGs and I believe most/all are turn-based (since games like Wasteland 2 are included in this thread):

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-list-of-incline.81530/

[This message has been edited by Decado (edited 03-26-2013 @ 12:17 PM).]

you3
posted 03-26-13 01:02 PM EDT (US)     25 / 80       
Dark Tiard was (for now) cancelled. It is not likely to be a 2013 game.
-
However Dead State is a turn base zombie rpg that has received some recent positive press.
mbpopolano24
posted 03-28-13 04:25 PM EDT (US)     26 / 80       
Actually, the developers of The Dark Triad have already announced that they will have a new Kickstarter campaign on May 6th, and I am sure they are still busy at work on it to make the pitch more convincing, so it may well be ready this year anyway.
Picard
posted 03-28-13 08:34 PM EDT (US)     27 / 80       
Pandora: First Contact: http://youtu.be/ZdY99n3JmdY

A kind of an Alpha Centaury spiritual successor. Developed by Slitherine, published by Matrix Games. Very nice map art imo.

[This message has been edited by Picard (edited 03-28-2013 @ 08:35 PM).]

you3
posted 03-29-13 07:03 AM EDT (US)     28 / 80       
There is a new kickstart for
Battle Worlds: Kronos - Turn-based strategy
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited?ref=live
-
schedule ship date is Dec 2013
-
The game looks nice but it is military based not fantasy and I have not contributed (too many TBS rpg/strategy games this year) - but still this group seems to have a certain reputation for producing decent games so I thought i would mention them - also they are already funded in first day of the campaign.
Picard
posted 03-29-13 10:25 AM EDT (US)     29 / 80       
I backed that one, looks quite nice.
Mardagg7
posted 04-02-13 08:55 AM EDT (US)     30 / 80       
Worlds of Magic kickstarter campaign just started today.
Game follows the footsteps of Master of Magic.
looks really promising,i backed it.

Kickstarter Link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game?ref=recently_launched

Worlds of Magic Forum:

http://forum.wastelands-interactive.com/forumdisplay.php?374-Worlds-of-Magic

Regarding Battle Worlds:Kronos:

I loved the Battle Isle series and this game looks really,really good,backed that as well.

[This message has been edited by Mardagg7 (edited 04-02-2013 @ 08:56 AM).]

Decado
posted 04-02-13 05:50 PM EDT (US)     31 / 80       
That kickstarter page doesn't have any info on the developer/team or even say what platform(s) OS(s) the game is for.

The first day or so is pretty critical for kickstarter and it looks like they botched it. 'cause I was curious, I looked them up (guarantee many won't bother) and it seems that they may actually have the experience to pull it off. Of course, the fact that they've launched a kickstarter isn't even on their own website. Ouch.
vicbrother
posted 04-03-13 08:40 AM EDT (US)     32 / 80       
'Worlds of Magic' is very ambitious. I need more information about the game mechanics.

PS: They want to release in 4Q 2013, but the kickstarter campaign runs until Jan 2014?
you3
posted 04-03-13 09:50 AM EDT (US)     33 / 80       
No - they want to release it Jan 2014 and the campaign runs 28 more days till May 2nd 2013.
Edi
posted 04-10-13 03:50 PM EDT (US)     34 / 80       
In case anyone is interested in seeing Dominions 3 available on Steam, please go to the Dominions 3 Greenlight page and support it.

It may not be the newest game around and is available through Desura and GamersGate, but getting on Steam would help out Illwinter and make the game a lot more accessible to a wider audience.

Member of the Evil Liberal Conspiracy - Moderate European Conservative
Edi
posted 04-19-13 03:57 PM EDT (US)     35 / 80       
Eador: Masters of the Broken World was released today.

You can get it from Gog.com or Steam.

Note that there will be a flurry of patches in the next few weeks, because there were certain unforeseen problems prior to launch that delayed the final beta to just a few days ago. So there are some bugs (not showstoppers) and certain things that will be improved.

The foundation is solid, however. And if you are going to get this game, a few pointers:

- Make a DEP exception for Eador in Windows settings to prevent one potential issue (access violations)
- See the instructions on How to Use the Building Interface to avoid several pitfalls related to the most complex aspect of the game.

ArkhanTheBlack
posted 04-19-13 05:54 PM EDT (US)     36 / 80       
Already got it from Steam. Also found a first review of it here on Greenlit Gaming which is quite favorable.
The game looks very good. Was waiting quite a while for it now.
nyarlathotep
posted 04-20-13 10:41 PM EDT (US)     37 / 80       
I am awaiting Divinity Original Sin, and not just out of Belgian pride I watched the kickstarter promo movie, and at a certain movie, they say "While David is in TURN BASED COMBAT..." That made me smile, and a minute later they said it would come shipped WITH the EDITOR. Hell yeah!

Proud mapmaker for the UPatch team
One gas to rule them all, One gas to find them
One gas to bring them all and with the Spice we bind them
Creator of the following maps: RenaissanceEarth, RoadToHell, YeOfLittleFaith, FrostbiteDelirium, Stormy Seas
Co-creator for: CityDwellers
together with TravisII
Decado
posted 05-10-13 02:22 PM EDT (US)     38 / 80       
Jagged Alliance Flashback is currently being kickstarted. They are promising turn-based combat and will be working with the community and a Sirtech veteran who worked on JA2.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback?ref=live

JA2 is my favourite game of all time, so I really hope this succeeds and they pull it off. The campaign had a weak start, but the developer is starting to make the right moves.
Edi
posted 06-18-13 05:56 AM EDT (US)     39 / 80       
Illwinter Game Design announces Dominions 4:

http://www.illwinter.com
18th June 2013 - Dominions 4 is under development
Dominions 4 is under development and it has now got a web page here that hasn't got any useful information yet, but it will come.
No news on the release date yet, but it's more and better than Dominions 3.

[This message has been edited by Edi (edited 06-20-2013 @ 03:26 PM).]

Edi
posted 06-20-13 03:26 PM EDT (US)     40 / 80       
Any chance of adding Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension to the opening post list?

ArkhanTheBlack
posted 06-21-13 07:24 AM EDT (US)     41 / 80       
Dominions 4 is definitely very good news. It's pretty much a must buy for me. Though I think I would have preferred Illwinter to improve CoE3 a bit more first, since it's IMHO not as fleshed out as Dominions 3 yet, but I'm pretty happy with Dominions 4 too.
BTW, was there a (rough) release date announced?

It was a good thing I waited with playing Eador for a month since I didn't have big issues with it. It has a solid concept, and the province system somehow reminds me of Dominions. Though I probably won't be 100% satisfied until they make more races available. I like the ally function, but it's not a replacement for full and fleshed out starting races like AOW2, MoM or FFH2 have to offer. I hope they add more stuff in future expansions. Especially full muliplayer support would be great.

I had high hopes for FE:LH, but it turned out to be a complete mess for me, with almost none of its features having a solid concept or a good implementation. I'll definitely never play it again, regardless of how many more expansions Stardock will release.

[This message has been edited by ArkhanTheBlack (edited 06-21-2013 @ 07:27 AM).]

meeber
posted 06-21-13 07:30 PM EDT (US)     42 / 80       
Well unless Dominions 4 has tactical combat where I can control the units (like in the AOW games) I'll pass. I tried playing Dominions 3 and it had some fantastic ideas but the tactical battle movie sucked so bad that it killed it for me.
Edi
posted 06-22-13 07:55 AM EDT (US)     43 / 80       
Still no direct control of tactical combat, sorry. Orders from everyone simultaneously and the server hosts and calculates the results.

meeber
posted 06-23-13 01:45 PM EDT (US)     44 / 80       
that is too bad guess I'll be skipping that game.
Picard
posted 06-23-13 03:22 PM EDT (US)     45 / 80       
Dom's combat resolution makes it perfect for PBEM which is its primary play mode.
Edi
posted 07-15-13 08:01 AM EDT (US)     46 / 80       
Dominions 4 is available for preorder at Desura.

PawelS
posted 07-18-13 02:39 AM EDT (US)     47 / 80       
Sorry for not updating the main post, I will do it at some point. The release date of AoW3 is moved to 2014, so the thread title is no longer true...

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
you3
posted 07-18-13 07:31 AM EDT (US)     48 / 80       
Arrrggggggggg; when was it moved to 2014 ?
PawelS
posted 07-18-13 11:48 AM EDT (US)     49 / 80       
http://www.ageofwonders.com/age-of-wonders-iii-set-to-release-q1-2014/

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Edi
posted 09-02-13 08:12 AM EDT (US)     50 / 80       
Dominions 4 has now been released to those who preordered (still a beta release, at version 3.99e).

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames