You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Questions regaring regiments
Bottom
Topic Subject:Questions regaring regiments
Acheron
posted 02-07-13 12:25 PM EDT (US)         
Such exciting news this week. Love the way things look / are headed. Triumph your heads are in the right place!

I have a few questions regarding the regiments we are seeing in the screen shots.

if you have an 8 unit regiment, are they produced 8 units at a time?

If a unit dies in a regiment, can you refill his position?

Do units level individually or in groups?

can regiments be split?

If you have a regiment of 8 archers, can they be given different orders? for example: 2 archers targeting a nearly dead unit, while 6 attack an approaching warlord.
AuthorReplies:
Merkraad
posted 02-07-13 02:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Good questions, specially:

'If a unit dies in a regiment, can you refill his position?'.

I'm wondering how that would interact with a Healing spell or Resurrection, for example.

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!
RosenMcStern
posted 02-08-13 02:59 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
This used to work in a simple-but-effective way in Master of Magic. You could neither split the unit nor target different enemies, but healing replaced dead figures. However, TS might have devised something that is not like MoM.

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
Arnout
VIP
posted 02-08-13 04:35 AM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
@RosenMcStern yes this is how it also works in Age of Wonders 3. They only difference between a "regiment" unit and a normal one is that that the regiment unit has multiple figures.
Steven Aus
posted 02-08-13 04:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
This is the way it works in Fallen Enchantress too. While any part of the group unit is alive, you can heal it up again. However once all figures are dead, the whole unit is dead (unless it can be resurrected).

Arnout, damage potential is also reduced as figures die in FE. Is this how it works in AoW3 too? ie. Does the base damage get multiplied by how many figures are left alive?

[This message has been edited by Steven Aus (edited 02-08-2013 @ 05:00 AM).]

RosenMcStern
posted 02-08-13 06:26 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
Thank you for the info, Arnout. As Steven said, however, there is another detail we do not know about. Is the damage and chance to hit calculated for each individual figure? In Master of Magic, each figure rolled separately for attack but did not roll for damage as each "hit" in MoM always does one point of damage. The damage potential of a unit with only one figure left was extremely low in MoM. Will it be the same in AoW?

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
Acheron
posted 02-08-13 12:20 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
Thanks for the info Arnout, To add to Steven Aus' and RosenMcStern's question:

If damage is reduced when figures die, will abilities be affected as well? I am thinking about abilities such as a necromancer's raise dead, a druid's entangle.

It would be cool if a regiment of spellcaster type units could cast in concert, increasing their action's potence.
Arnout
VIP
posted 02-10-13 09:14 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
Damage isn't reduced or abilities effected when an unit is wounded. An unit doesn't lose its combat effectiveness when it has for example 1,2 HP left. So multiple figured units is just really a display thing and has no gameplay rules.
PawelS
posted 02-10-13 12:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
It is already too late to change this? I hoped for something like the MoM system, I think it will look bad if, for example, one surviving archer does the same damage as a full regiment...

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
KillKenny
posted 02-10-13 03:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
Damage isn't reduced or abilities effected when an unit is wounded. An unit doesn't lose its combat effectiveness when it has for example 1,2 HP left. So multiple figured units is just really a display thing and has no gameplay rules.
And if it is too late to change this (which I believe it is), would it be possible to make this adjustable through the editor?
RosenMcStern
posted 02-11-13 04:13 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
This feature was "ingrained" in the MoM system, which did not have separate "attack chance" and "damage" values but just "strikes". On the other hand, AoW works with a "hit chance" and "damage" model similar to D&D and other RPGs, and evaluating how much losses influence a unit's ability to do damage might be tricky.

So in fact the multi-figure units are only a cosmetic change. But I do not regard this as a bad feature: a cosmetic change is better than no change.

In any case, a decrease in damage when a unit is heavily wounded might be both simple to implement and realistic for both multi-figure and single-figure units. "Berserker" type single-figure units might be immune from this effect and always do the same damage even with 1 or 2 HP left, as it happens normally. But then again, the problem would reappear with missile fire, not to mention magic.

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
Arnout
VIP
posted 02-11-13 04:46 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Unlike MoM, our figures are just visualization. Itís the unit, not the individual characters, that deal damage and have hit-points.

In AoW3, the goal is to defeat the enemy. To accomplish this, youíll be getting into plenty of battles. We donít want to penalize you for putting units into line of fire, because thatís what you are supposed to do, thatís what we want you to do.

Units losing their effectiveness will slow combat down. One of our goals in Age of Wonders III is to make tactical combat faster then in the previous games.
RosenMcStern
posted 02-11-13 05:16 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
Good point. While realistic, loss of combat effectiveness will slow everything down.

If anyone wants to experience another combat model, MoM is available on GOG.com "for a fistful of dollars".

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
feargus
posted 02-14-13 09:14 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
quoted from Pawels
It is already too late to change this? I hoped for something like the MoM system, I think it will look bad if, for example, one surviving archer does the same damage as a full regiment...
I am a little concerned about this. The way I understand it a unit can be represented by a single character or a regiment of multiple characters. But this is merely visualization, it has no impact on the game.

As a result, when a full regiment of 8 archers takes on a monster-spider (like in one of the screenshots) it will probably perish, because it is only a low tier unit(?). What we are used to is that a big spider(queen) can easily destroy a single archer but will be in big trouble facing 8 of them.

Does this mean that a regiment is a high tier unit?
If so, where are the low tiers?
Or can a regiment of, say, 2 or 5 archers exist? (or even produced)
And when your nymph uses her charms, will she seduce the entire regiment?
And where do we go when we die!?

Aaaaaah
All these questions ...
I guess one day we'll find out...
balance11
posted 02-15-13 01:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
As far as regiments are nothing more than a visual presentation, the healing / vampirism will restore the ranks during the battle. But it's unclear what will then happen to corpses? They should disappear somehow, otherwise there would be troubles with the law of conservation of mass ))
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames