You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Concern that the Wrapper may interfere with PBEM emails from Aow III
Bottom
Topic Subject:Concern that the Wrapper may interfere with PBEM emails from Aow III
Davespice
posted 02-07-13 09:21 AM EDT (US)         
Hi guys;

Please donít give me hate for this

I just realised this. I wrote most of the Wrapper in 2011 and, at the time, a new Aow game wasnít really common knowledge and certainly wasnít on my radar. If Aow III sends email attachments with .asg as the file name extension then the Wrapper will think this is a file that it should download and then mark the email as read (on IMAP, POP3 wonít be an issue). The Wrapper wonít do anything with the file though as it will almost certainly be marked as unknown. But, on IMAP, this could then interfere with how the Aow III game client retrieves the emails. If Aow III, like the Wrapper, only looks at unread email then there could be an issue because the Wrapper might have already marked the email as read Ė causing Aow III to miss it. I just thought I would post it here because I know the Triumph devs read this board.

However if Aow III used another file extension (say .a3sg) then that would defeat this entire issue. The Wrapper wouldnít see the email anymore. Itís obviously not my place to be telling A class title developers what to do though. So I am just a bit concerned that this could cause problems for people in the future.

So I thought the best thing to do is just to come out and tell everyone that this might happen in advance, so Iím not pulling any punches and being as honest as possible.

The Wrapper is well and truly ďout thereĒ and in the wild now and I, personally, donít have control of what versions people are using. I never implemented an auto-update feature. I could do a patch to try and recognise Aow III emails and ignore them but this would require everyone to update the Wrapper to the most recent version, which not everyone would do.

Advice welcome.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 02-07-2013 @ 09:21 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
sikbok
VIP
posted 02-07-13 10:36 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Hi Davespice,

Good one, I'll be flagging this so we can work on a solution.
Thnx for the heads up.

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

naecO
posted 02-11-13 10:20 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
While we're on PBEM emailing service of AOW3, I'd be interested to learn if there are improvements in the game regarding PBEM receive/send capability (receiving in particular). From AOW1 to Aow:SM, there're no changes about how the game handles sending and receiving PBEM games. That's why Dave's Wrapper has been the most welcome although it was a decade late. Besides, most email providers have implemented security measures in their service, that makes the lack of settings in the current Aow games an obstacle for many PBEM players. Even before the days of secured authenticated email servers, AOW PBEM settings were not very friendly in term of ease of use. Most (if not all) players download and send their game manually. That takes up a lot of time if a player is involved in more than a few games.

For that reason, the introduction of Dave's Wrapper has made life of AOW PBEMers a lot easier I sincerely hope that for the sake of AOW3 and all the long time AOW fans, unless AOW3's in-game PBEM settings are improved, TS could show some supports/help to the developers of the AOW PBEM Wrapper so that it can support AOW3 when the time comes.

Cheers!

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
PawelS
posted 02-11-13 11:33 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Perhaps TS can cooperate with Dave when working on the AoW3 PBEM mode?

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Steven Aus
posted 02-12-13 06:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
I would strongly support that! It would be a great goodwill gesture, and Dave is likely to have some sort of expertise in making PBEM senders/receivers in general, not just for AoW:SM specifically.

[This message has been edited by Steven Aus (edited 02-12-2013 @ 06:46 AM).]

TravisII
posted 02-12-13 03:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
I'm pretty sure Dave had talked with them in the past about how it worked, and possibly even sent them the source code. I am 100% sure AoW3 will utilize modern methods, and PBEM will work flawlessly between players.

I think Dave's main concern here was that the file be named differently than .asg, so that the Wrapper could continue to work without needing updated. Not everyone would update their Wrapper, and there is no auto-update feature or notification.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/

[This message has been edited by TravisII (edited 02-12-2013 @ 03:22 PM).]

sikbok
VIP
posted 02-13-13 06:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
More or less what TravisII said.

Except for the flawless ; )>
Haven't done exhaustive compat testing yet.

Things should be better then before.
Also think you guys will appreciate how things have been set up and the flexibility that will give the community.

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

Davespice
posted 02-13-13 08:37 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Yeah Travis is right, my only concern was that the Wrapper could end up being a menace to the new game. So hopefully that wonít happen. For the longest time I had assumed that the new game wouldnít use email and would have some kind of proprietary async turn server provided by Triumph since this avoids a lot of the pitfalls with email systems. So when I heard that PBEM mode was going to be supported I was actually really impressed. Go Triumph! I donít want to go into too much detail but itís my view that the best way to avoid email pitfalls is with knowledge, if you know where the traps are you can then avoid them. So I chose to put background information about POP3 and IMAP into the Wrapper manual. Although I suspect 90% of people never read it

The main issue is obviously finding the correct Incoming and Outgoing server settings. The Wrapper comes with a set of XML files which records the settings for the most popular email services but its list is not exhaustive. So in some cases the user must enter them manually, which sadly is a task beyond the skills of a lot of consumers nowadays.

@sikbok; I recently wrote some code to access the Mozilla Thunderbird auto-configure ISP database to retrieve email settings. I emailed it to Arnout last week I think, so this might be helpful I donít know? Iím considering replacing the way the Wrapper does it with this since it provides a degree of future proofing that shipping XML files with the install wouldnít. I have also checked out Mozilla donít mind people using it this way (link).
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames