You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Editor related questions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Editor related questions
morgul666
posted 02-07-13 09:18 AM EDT (US)         
Obviously THE most important question for us mapmakers:

How will the Editor look like?
Especially the scripting - will it be like in AOWSM? comparable? totally different? More/less events/conditions/...
Maybe even HERO-based events like it was possible in HOMM4 (you could assign Hero-IDīs to events, not only WIZARD IDīs like in AOWSM so you canīt control something like HERO XYZ has to have item ABC to trigger event ZZZ.)
will there be wizards after all in AOWIII ?!?!

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-
AuthorReplies:
Sahiden Ethare
posted 02-07-13 10:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
A more extensive event system would be very useful to have.
sikbok
VIP
posted 02-07-13 11:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Hija morgul666,

Can't go into too much detail about this yet, but since you are one of our most dedicated mapmakers ...

The tools have undergone a lot of changes over the years, so expect things to be a bit different. Then again, it's still good old age of wonders, so there will be a lot that you'll recognize. What worked for AoW:SM still works for AoW3, most of the time.

Scripting wise, however, we've come a long way. Making the Overlord series has taught us a lot about how to use scripting to tell a story and create an experience. It also taught us what good scripting support can do, when given to a capable mapmaker.
I can still remember making the tutorial for AoW:SM using the events & conditions system, with just a hand full of dev features. I'd say that doing something similar for AoW3 would be ... less challenging : )>

Expect more flexibility, more events, etc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

>>>Delete Yourself; You've got no chance to win<<<

Atari TeenAge Riot

Merkraad
posted 02-07-13 03:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
I'm curious about the modding capabilities.

Will it be possible to add units, heroes and images easier and faster? And what about an import option inside the editor, that allows to load/merge mods and so on.

I always wanted a drop-down list system instead of the squares. While it is great for visualization, it does have its limitations. After spaces are full the heroes and units of the same race end up separated. And there is the tricky relations of the number of the Unit and it being hard coded into a reward/independent/start/morph unit; being able to freely choose that would be great.

I would also like an easier relation between the files used; for example creating a hero for a map uses the last Body Resource with a certain graphic and so on. And there is also the hero Pictures. Having these associations be simply done by an option list would be awesome; so you could choose a hero with a certain body/pic that could be imported into any map/mod without hassle.

Last, many Mods here use levels for Abilities, like Pixie Dust 2,3. I hope those make into AoW 3 and that the editor allows us to make everything more powerful or weaker!

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!

[This message has been edited by Merkraad (edited 02-07-2013 @ 03:24 PM).]

NTJedi
posted 02-07-13 05:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       

Other Map Editor ideas/suggestions:
1) Bring back the altars from the original AoW. Even if they're not on the random maps allow map makers to place them down.

2) Allow on the fly editing of individual unit statistics placed on the map. Within Warcraft_2 any unit placed on the map within the editor could have its name and statistics changed with a simple right click. This allowed for great unit customization.

3) Please keep the random map generator within the editor. This is a great feature in AOW2:Shadow_Magic! Perhaps provide an option for random quests to be generated as well.

4) Add a terrain type which cannot be traveled "only" by flying units. The reason is currently flyers can travel anywhere where other units have different restrictions. Perhaps something like thunder clouds or some other sky danger which allows travel for ground and sea units yet stops flying units.

5) If you're seeking other map editor ideas please try the Heroes_3 editor with the WoG update. This is one of the most popular TBS games in history and has a great editor.

There can be only one.
Highlander
bam65
posted 02-07-13 09:36 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
3) Please keep the random map generator within the editor. This is a great feature in AOW2:Shadow_Magic! Perhaps provide an option for random quests to be generated as well.
Yes damn it, yes!
bam65
posted 02-07-13 09:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Yes damn it, yes to everything Merkraad said too.
morgul666
posted 02-08-13 10:20 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
5) If you're seeking other map editor ideas please try the Heroes_3 editor with the WoG update. This is one of the most popular TBS games in history and has a great editor.
honestly - I tried both Heroes III and Heroes IV Editors and I have to say that the Editor of HOMM IV is state of the art of what Iīve seen so far.
It was so damn complex that you were thinking at times youīre dealing with a real programming language.
I remember very well that I did my first AOWSM map 'Gates to another world' also (several years before) on Heroes III and also on Heroes IV - on Heroes IV it was really complex, way more intricate events than I did for the AOW map.
I can pretty much remember how disappointed I was very soon with the AOWSM Editor (scripting-wise!) until I got used to it (and the fact the HOMM IV was (in contrary to the marvelous HOMM III) a crap game (for single players as it had in fact no AI - but this is not the place to start another of these useless discussions ) and AOWSM was so brilliant a game, I connived to that very soon and learned to live with what the AOWSM Editor has to offer.

BUT this leads me to the conclusion:
Expect more flexibility, more events, etc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Iīm looking forward to that!! thereīs definitly room for improvement

KillKenny
posted 02-10-13 03:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the HOMM editors, but if they are anything like the Warcraft 3/Starcraft 2 editors, that's the way to go. Also, from what I hear, Civilization 4 is highly modable because it's completely resource based, meaning every little thing about the game can be easily changed as long as you're familiar with python.
feargus
posted 02-21-13 04:24 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Hi,
First I would like to stress the importance of Merkraad's post by quoting:
I'm curious about the modding capabilities.

Will it be possible to add units, heroes and images easier and faster? And what about an import option inside the editor, that allows to load/merge mods and so on.

I always wanted a drop-down list system instead of the squares. While it is great for visualization, it does have its limitations. After spaces are full the heroes and units of the same race end up separated. And there is the tricky relations of the number of the Unit and it being hard coded into a reward/independent/start/morph unit; being able to freely choose that would be great.

I would also like an easier relation between the files used; for example creating a hero for a map uses the last Body Resource with a certain graphic and so on. And there is also the hero Pictures. Having these associations be simply done by an option list would be awesome; so you could choose a hero with a certain body/pic that could be imported into any map/mod without hassle.

Last, many Mods here use levels for Abilities, like Pixie Dust 2,3. I hope those make into AoW 3 and that the editor allows us to make everything more powerful or weaker!
Now, I'm pretty sure the devs will have thought about this, but there's no harm in mentioning it: Most of us like Heroes. IMO there can't be enough of them. The former system of 6 classes would make adding heroes to a mod a very tricky business. I would very much like to be able to add an unlimited amount of heroes. The same goes for wizzards/leaders or whatever is in store for us.
Cheers, feargus
Bishmanrock
posted 02-21-13 11:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Civ4 had the ability to open saved games in the editor I believe, so you could edit them into scenarios.

I know there's been a few games that that I've got halfway through and thought "Huh, if the scenario started now things would've been interesting...", or games where I wouldn't have minded playing as my opponents in their final rounds, seeing if I could reverse their fortune against my own empire as a challenge.

Not only that, but sometimes I make sequels to scenarios I win with my friends, so I'd be able to take the final save game and edit it from there. And, it would also give me the option to save any levels from the in game generator for later use.

Maybe it's just me who would make use of this though?
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 02-21-13 09:51 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
I hope there will additional options for mapmakers, not fewer, or many options taken away.

While I can (albeit reluctantly) agree with keeping the game itself simple to understand as to not overwelm new players, editors are a different matter! These are often used by fervent fans realizing their visions, and in this case, more options is generally better.

I wouldn't want to miss things like city limits, for example, or the ability to set AI race relations.

Ps, please keep this thread 'on topic' by discussing the 'editor' and not modding (which probably deserves a thread of its own).

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
morgul666
posted 02-23-13 03:36 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
absolutely correct (the mod-thing should be a seperate thread)
and indeed the things you mentioned in particular should all remain as they are very interesting options indeed!

In fact I think one could simply say in regards to the Editior:
1) Keep the existing functionalites
2) repair the today-known editor-bugs (and the veteran mapmakers know what Iīm talking about - so do the devs I hope else it wouldnīt be a problem to inform them about those...)
3 and most important imho): Add events (Iīll probably provide some more detailed ideas as soon as I find the time and muse to think about it ) and especially: Add and/or modify TRIGGERS !!!
also - one of the most read-about questions in the past years was - is there a random teleport functionality... (not sure if I read already something about it here so apologize if it was already asked somewhere else)
I think many mapmakers (me included) would love to see such a functionality... (random teleport does not mean getting teleported ANYWHERE but to another teleport of course, so to say a network of teleporters)

[This message has been edited by morgul666 (edited 02-23-2013 @ 03:38 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames