You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Small request : Underground screenshot
Bottom
Topic Subject:Small request : Underground screenshot
Magog
posted 07-31-01 08:06 AM EDT (US)         
Josh or someone.

So far no screenshots of the underground in AOW2.
When (if?) you release the next set of screenshots, please have one that shows the underground.

The underground (the look of it and walking around in it) was IMO the most boring part of AOW1, and it would be nice to see if it has changed.

AuthorReplies:
Kilyr
Banned
posted 07-31-01 07:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
The request is growing bigger!

Yes, it was really very boring, I didn't like it too much in AOW1.

About the underground in AOW2 gossip is that it has spectacular 3D-effects! Or that's what I recall.
So I think it has changed alot and will look better than ever, like the whole AOW2 is looking great!

No more boring underground stuff

Fingers
posted 07-31-01 09:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
I quite agree. Owing to the uniform monotony of subterranean tiles, exploring AoW's underground levels can be an immensely boring prospect. Few maps in all have been created with the terrain inversion trick or Warlock's mod (HoBII, SGW, etc), which do allow for some more life and colour down there.

As the subject is one that's come up fairly often, though, and since Josh has made one or two encouraging remarks in response, I should guess that a greater variety of underground terrain is a given in AoWII.

Fingers

PS

Still, I'd appreciate having inversions left as an option (all terrain types available above and below ground), to allow maximum aesthetic value.

ffbj
posted 07-31-01 10:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Well you clearly know my views on the subject. When I first started exploring terrain inversions as a result of Dix's work it made quite an impact on me. Obviously, I agree. Certainly most tiles should be available above and below ground. Although this might make for some confusion. Technically I try to limit the use of inverted terrain somewhat. I mean the underground should look like an underground etc.. Fingers: I was wondering why all the invisible pools in MOG? I mean, there must be a hundred of them. Were you just having some fun? BTW do you know who the Tick is?
Josh AoW
VIP
posted 08-01-01 02:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Warlock will have one less trick to play with AoW2...

and the underground makes use of 3D terrain as well... you'll see at some point...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
Blackmane
posted 08-01-01 06:02 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Sweet! Josh's just said (in a roundaboutmanner) that we can have surface terrain underground! wh00t!

underground 3d? hmmmm.....

Fingers
posted 08-02-01 03:13 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Designing AoWII maps is going to be awesome! Thank you Josh.

Ffbj wrote:

Quote:
……Fingers: I was wondering why all the invisible pools in MOG? I mean, there must be a hundred of them. Were you just having some fun? BTW do you know who the Tick is?

I had hoped the invisible reflecting pools would give an impression of the magic of Galadriel’s mirror - a sweeping vision of Middle-earth revealed to the player all at once, without being so obvious and ugly as littering the landscape with pools that can be plainly seen. Their field of view is limited below ground, so it was sometimes necessary to cluster several around the larger, more imposing strongholds of the evil races, which being known, are meant to cause some angst on all fronts.

So, yes, you might say I was just having fun.... In that regard, watch out for the last version’s invisible altars. Mwuhahahhahaah!!!!

The Tick? Please explain.

Fingers

ffbj
posted 08-02-01 09:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
oic. I thought it might have been something along those lines. The only thing I don't like about invisible structures is when they are owned and a flag appears on them, to me that looks ugly. The Tick is a cartoon superhero, and the subject of my latest map.
Tekk Zero
posted 08-02-01 09:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
ffbj is the show with the Tick on? I use to watch it
ffbj
posted 08-02-01 09:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
I think it is on the comedy channel. Good you must be a fan then. Also I put in a reply to your question on the other board. Not in the face! Not in the face!
Tekk Zero
posted 08-02-01 10:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Thanks! I noticed it on the other board, I really appreciated ur tips. I never had noticed all the slight map making tweaks that were available
Tekk Zero
posted 08-02-01 10:14 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
btw ffbj are there any other interesting map tweaks that I could use are not "officially" put in the map making guides on the net. I've tried Dix's inversion tricks and love it, yet I still crave for more interesting tweaks of some kind. I really appreciate u enlightening me about the tower and node trick, I will use it for sure. Thanks for ur help
ffbj
posted 08-03-01 00:57 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Say. Lets move this to the map-making forum.
DIX
posted 08-03-01 02:00 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Sounds like good news,the underground in aow1 was to boring.
Blackmane
posted 08-03-01 03:45 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
'ey keep the other forum stuff to the other forum heh ffbj, nice timing on this one.
Chaos Spawn
posted 08-05-01 11:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
THE TICK ROOLZ!!

-Chaos

roger
posted 08-07-01 07:36 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Really the underground was an area that had great potential for hidden treasure, yet was often neglected in AoW. With most maps I have managed to obtain a beetle and meticulously searched the earth below ground, usually to find virtually no hidden treasure

Great joy when I eventually reached a far corner of the depths in some well-designed maps and found a heap of goodies surrounded by hordes of evil nasties intent on stopping me. Sadly that was not often the case, tho

Maybe the enhanced underground graphics in AoW II will encourage map-makers to utilise this part of the game more thoroughly? Having said that, I have the utmost respect for anyone that has completed a map and passed it onto a grateful public (like me). So it's meant constructively, guys. Honest!

May your elementals be monumental

Roger the Dodger

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames