You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » 50% scaled down anti-aliased mode?
Bottom
Topic Subject:50% scaled down anti-aliased mode?
Thunderball
posted 08-07-01 01:37 AM EDT (US)         
Greetings!

Call me oldschool, but I like the graphics of AoW 1 better than AoW 2.

For me, the graphics seem like Age of Empires 2... they're just too big.

Any chance of a 50% scaled down mode with anti-aliasing enabled, so we get about the same size (and thus also overview) of AoW 1?

And even if the game does have a zoom feature, I'd still like to see anti-aliasing.

AoW 2 seems to use more scanned and raytraced graphics than AoW 1, which in my opinion is a bad thing since detail is lost and edges of sprites & bitmaps become more apparent (and that is why I think anti-aliasing would help).

And yes, I think hand pixeled graphics have more soul and can look much better than "assisted" graphics.

So, any chance of any of this happening?

Sincerely, Robert

[This message has been edited by Thunderball (edited 08-07-2001 @ 01:42 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Josh AoW
VIP
posted 08-07-01 04:03 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Zoom levels are adjustable, and make use of hardware filtering to smooth the gfx...

The gfx in AoW2 are done in a similar style to aow1, some pre-rendered (like units), and some hand-drawn (like trees and portraits). There has been very little change in the way we create our graphics; they're just bigger, with more details, and more frames of animation.

The higher resolution and higher level of detail in AoW2 makes the edges of objects far less apparent than in aow1.

Note that you'll get better results from playing in a higher resolution than from zooming out, and very little performance difference, assuming you're using 3D hardware...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
The Jerk
posted 08-07-01 04:10 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
And if you´re not using 3D hardware?
roger
posted 08-07-01 07:18 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
I do like the overview in AoW, which you can adjust by changing the display resolution

However, I prefer the graphics of AoW II that I have seen to those in AoW, and there is certainly a lot of room for improvement in the subterranean graphics of AoW

May your catapults continue to capitalise

Roger the Dodger

Thunderball
posted 08-07-01 08:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Thank you for your reply!

Interesting indeed. So you decided to use the 3D card to filter instead of using Hardware Video Overlays?

Except for being able to selectively filter only certain areas of the screen, shouldn't 3D cards be slower and hog more bandwidth than a simple overlay?

Also, in order to be able to filter edges of bitmaps, you'd have to assign them as alpha textures to a polygon, right? Otherwise the hard edges are still there... which means another speed hit since you have to take the background into account...

Well, I'm just worried that my computer (which is about as oldschool as both me and my tastes) won't be able to handle it.

Josh AoW
VIP
posted 08-07-01 04:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
The filtering is free, has no impact on performance whatsoever, and is only used at non-default zoom levels, when the game's gfx are being scaled... In normal situations the game's gfx don't really need antialiasing, as they've been designed with their surroundings in mind...

People w/o 3D cards lose a few fancy features... filtering would be one of those...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames