You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » Thinking of adding AoW3 to my Christmas wishlist
Bottom
Topic Subject:Thinking of adding AoW3 to my Christmas wishlist
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
posted 11-29-15 06:35 PM EDT (US)         
This thread made quite an interesting read, listing first impressions that people had of the game. Lots of familiar names appearing in that thread.

However, this thread and this thread raise serious doubts in my mind about how much it will cost in total for a fully functioning game.

Some questions:

1. In this thread Davespice talks about PBEM but mentions Steam, which I happen to loathe and do not want on my PC. If I buy the DRM-free version from Gog, will I be unable to play email games without installing Steam on my PC?

2. Is anyone actually playing AoW3 online currently? What mods/patches are they running to play online games? Griffith mentioned playing it via Hamachi, which I have used in the past.

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
AuthorReplies:
nvc_for_the_soul
posted 12-05-15 01:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Hi Roger,
Some answers:
1. If you buy AOW3 on Gog you will be able to play PBEM-games. I am playing PBEM-games with a friend who bought it on Gog, while I run the steam-version (I also bought the Gog-version but not all DLC's on Gog).

2. Yes, quite a few people play AOW3-online, both in the normal online-mode and the PBEM.
Considering MODs; I dont think many people play with MODs online. I currently started playing PBEM-games with the following 4 MODs installed (PS. sorry for the steam links ):
1. More Colors for Coat of Arms- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=525871780
2. Triumphant Heroes- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519469975
3. Extra support units- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519448872
4. Structure Reward Variety- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=525193598

Works great. There are of course other MODs, but many are WIPs.

FYI: to install the mods for the Gog-version you can directly download it through the following procedure:
1. Go to http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/
2. Fill in the url of the workshop item (the URL can be found in the Share-button on steam-mod-link) and get a direct download (some browsers like Firefox seem to have problems with download - but other browser dont)
3. copy .Taf-file in ....\Documents\My Games\AoW3\UserContent folder.
4. Launch AOW3-game; in game laucher enable the mode in the tab Usercontent (if game launcher is already running, click update in tab Usercontent)

My personal opinion about AOW3: I think it is a great and fun game that vastly improved through patches & DLC's.

grtz, NVC
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
posted 12-05-15 08:43 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Thanks for such a comprehensive answer

If WIP is Work In Progress then I am very used to that, having been a fan of Kirky Picardo and Brave New World mod

Also I see that they are still talking about Upatch 1.5 ....

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
nvc_for_the_soul
posted 12-10-15 05:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
You're welcome

And yes, WIP=work in progress.

Upatch1.5 and a new BNW-version would still be great. Maybe Santa will give us these presents this year
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 12-13-15 00:03 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
aybe Santa will give us these presents this year
Anything is possible. He already brought me a thread I don't have to close, hide, and ban for spam.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
Griffith
posted 12-21-15 08:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Heya Roger, long time no see.

I play AoW3 fairly often online, but not through hamachi. Whether using GoG or Steam version shouldn't matter much (technically), but contacting online players could probably be harder with GoG.

I use steam myself, and we got a steam group called AoW3: No Quitters! for gathering players, and such. This can be helpful, since the game itself has no ingame lobby. Of course GoG users can see open games in the online section, but finding open games that way could be difficult.

There is also a AoW3 Ladder site you can use. We use it to rank live online matches occasionally, but it seems its more popular with the PBEM players atm. Might be worth checking out if your looking for PBEM games at least, and you can find players and open games there too.

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
Check out the AoW Chatroom

[This message has been edited by Griffith (edited 12-21-2015 @ 08:32 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames