You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions
Moderated by Swolte, Enginerd, ChowGuy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW3: General Discussion & suggestions » They don't make it easy, do they....?
Bottom
Topic Subject:They don't make it easy, do they....?
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
(id: neo222)
posted 06-30-14 08:09 PM EDT (US)         
So I got AoW3 in the Steam sale and I do like it a lot! I'm on the second level of the elf campaign and wow, I have to say Triumph really wanted you to work for your victory, didn't they? I'm on turn 200ish (or fast approaching), but the orc and the goblin keep sending huge stacks at me, I've died a few times, so I tried a slight course in tack. They seemed to go crazy once that orc allies with you so I played a different tactic and rather than consolidating my position in that city, I would be more aggresive. If I tried to consolidate, that goblin would keep setting up thieves guilds and inciting revolts and so on leading to lots of death and carnage, then after a while they'd attack. I can often defend one, but my weakened army is finished by the next one.

So, yes, I was more aggressive and took the goblin city, razing it (I didn't intend to, it seemed to do it automatically which happens sometimes though tactically it's better as it means I can pull back to the orc city which is under my control, rather than trying to extend my defence too thinly). She hasn't been eliminated as a player yet so she has at least one city, but I'm hoping that will significantly damage her war efforts and reduce the size of her stacks and/or postpone her attacks. Meanwhile, I can focus on defending against the orc, although I haven't seen his army. Maybe an aggressive attack on the goblin has put him off attacking. That would be nice. Most likey he has a 24 stack army just beyond my vision! D:

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
AuthorReplies:
you3
posted 07-01-14 06:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
This game has a flaw I dislike; if you take your time it becomes near impossible; it demands that you charge as fast as possible. I've completed the first campaign to end; I had to restart one of them in the middle because I took too long to exit the cave - it went from very very hard to trivial simply by changing the speed of attack (no game parameters were changed).
-
I'm waiting to do the second campaign until a few more patches come out - also I'm unhappy with the gog version but maybe they will update it to galaxy when galaxy is available.
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 07-01-14 03:29 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
That's reassuring lol.

What's wrong the gog version?

Have there been any patches released yet?

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 07-01-14 05:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Okay, you know what. This game has gone from good to annoying very quickly. I like a challenge and all, but constant stacks of tier IV units (bloody manticores) and the never ending inciting of revolts and dread sieges is just borderline ridiculous, especially as I'm only playing on normal difficulty. I'm probably going to stop playing this until they release a patch which is a shame because it's potentially a good game.

And the voice acting on Sundran is quite good. And it must be good cause I don't normally notice things like voice acting.

[This message has been edited by Insincere Endorsement (edited 07-01-2014 @ 05:28 PM).]

you3
posted 07-02-14 07:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
You can avoid the large stacks by moving faster. Really it wasn't that bad once you pick up the pace.
-
Gog version is slow to patch and it won't be getting steamworks so there will be some isolation of fan made content. While fans have the ability to manually put content elsewhere human nature and all will be a splintering of the content. To be quite honest in aow-sm it was the fan made content that I liked best (though the campaign in aow3 is much better than the campaign in aow-sm - just don't like the emphasis on fast pace).
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 07-02-14 07:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Perhaps, but I'm not a rusher when it comes to games, I prefer to savour things and take my time. Even playing online I think rushing is such a cheap strategy (although necessity has probably meant I've done it before, I dunno, I haven't played WC3 online in years so I can't remember). Either way, not rushing should still be a valid strategy.

Plus, I'd have to restart the level which meant I would have completely wasted however long I've spent getting to the turn I'm on now.

ffbj
posted 07-04-14 01:07 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
If you will play more of slow buildup you still do something like use raiding parties to hamstring your opponent.
Ram rushes are also good early on, since they are the best all around unit in the early game, and even into the middle game.
So have a quick reaction stack cavalry and probably a hero, that acts like Quantrill's raiders did in The American Civil War. When I take a new town a straight away build a ram. Good on defense and can break walls.
Sadly your options are somewhat limited by the nature of production in the game. In fact recent patches have addressed this problem, so the game my play differently for you now.
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 07-05-14 07:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
I see...

So perhaps, AoW 3 requires a new form of tactical thinking on my part. One which previous games have never really required. Raiding, I can live with that. Rushing is one thing, but raiding is another.

Rams, do you mean battering rams?

Eventually managed to complete level 2. Ended up charging the enemy rather than trying to consolidate.

I think also razing cities is more of a valid tactic than it was in previous AoW games. Once you have severely weakened the enemy to such an extent that you can afford to consolidate, then you can send in settlers and rebuild them. Although your alignment is going to take quite a hit.

Der_Zorn_Gottes
posted 07-06-14 00:16 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
If you want to take your time, it can become a little tricky in this szenario, because as a Druid you can't mass produce tier 4 units.
However, you have the option to build dragons from the peak in the Northwest, and a combination of Chargers/Flyers/some range support + heroes should be enough to overcome even Manticores.
Even more, you can outnumber the AI in every fight where you have the initiative, because you can bring 4 stacks to his at best 3.

I found the only szenario in the campaigns wherer speed is really of the essence is the 3rd elfen one, where Flame Tanks will do evil things with your Goblins, if you let it come to this.
COCONUTKNIGHT
posted 07-06-14 03:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Bear in mind that this particular campaign is designed to tell a story that takes place over quite a short period of time, i.e. the campaign is designed to have quite some pace and urgency to it.

It is definitely not designed to showcase or encourage building an empire.

Play it with that in mind, and you will find it much much easier.

I have it on good authority that the campaigns introducing the new 'ling' race have been created to reflect this particular feedback, i.e. are much more relaxed and do not require quite so much fast violence...

As always, don't quote me as gospel, just rumours within shadows borne on words heard in the the interweb.

Take an old, dirty, hungry, mangy, sick and wet dog and feed him and wash him and nurse him back to health, and he will never turn on you and bite you.

This is how man and dog differ.
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
posted 07-07-14 07:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
I have it on good authority that the campaigns introducing the new 'ling' race have been created to reflect this particular feedback, i.e. are much more relaxed and do not require quite so much fast violence...
So that's either gonna be frostlings or halflings?

Probably halflings, although I think I'd prefer frostlings. Either are good though.

COCONUTKNIGHT
posted 07-08-14 03:49 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Linglings ofcourse...

Follow the discussion here.

Take an old, dirty, hungry, mangy, sick and wet dog and feed him and wash him and nurse him back to health, and he will never turn on you and bite you.

This is how man and dog differ.

[This message has been edited by COCONUTKNIGHT (edited 07-08-2014 @ 03:50 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames