You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.85 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » The Age of Wonders Map-Making Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Age of Wonders Map-Making Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
posted 04-10-03 03:36 PM EDT (US)         

Mapmaking Competition

Small maps are a lot of fun, and we'd really like to see more of them being submitted for download at AoWHeaven. They don't take a lifetime to create, the SP scenarios often make good Monthly Challenge maps, also the MP scenarios are useful for Wizards Ladder and other Play By EMail games. So - to encourage more small map submissions - we're running a mapmaking competition. There will be four categories:

1. Small AoW1 Single-Player Maps

2. Small AoW1 Multi-Player Maps

3. Small AoW2 Single-Player Maps

4. Small AoW2 Multi-Player Maps

The Rules

They have to be new maps, so if it's currently available in our downloads section, you can't submit it (although you could possibly take one of your existing maps and heavily modify it). Submit them to the downloads section in the usual way (AoW1 or AoW2), then drop us a note in this thread to let us know the name of the map that you've submitted, and which category (or gategories) you want it entered into.

They must all be small maps, but they can have as many levels as you want.

They must all be playable under standard Triumph Studios TS136 ruleset.

You can enter as many maps as you want, and as many categories as you want.

The closing date for submissions is Saturday 31st May 2003 (23:59 US Eastern time). NOW CLOSED!

Any forum member can submit a map, but it must be a map they have created themselves, although other people can be involved (for example, someone else may write the story for your map).

The Judges

Mapmakers will be judged by their peers. Once a submitted map has appeared in the download section, we will invite forum members to download it and play it. They will then submit a rating for each map that they play, in this thread: The Day of Judgment. To keep this as painless as possible, we are keeping it quite simple. We want you to state the name of the map, and give it a rating out of ten. You can then (optionally) comment on what you like and/or don't like about the map in question.

If you are feeling really conscientious, you can also go to the downloads section and fill in a review of the map there

Any forum member can vote, but you are not allowed to vote for one of your own maps, or a map that you helped to create

Phase One: Making maps and submitting them!
Timespan: until 31st May. NOW CLOSED!

Phase Two: Maps are rated by forum members
Timespan: until 2nd August. NOW CLOSED!

We haven't managed to organise any prizes, but it's a great feeling to be voted number one by other forumers! Even if you don't win, you can be sure that all good maps submitted will be used by our forum members for countless online battles, E-Mail games and single-player challenges over the coming years. So why not contribute to the online community - you never know, you may win!

If you need some cool tips for creating good AoW1 maps, you can go to our Custom Map Makers Resource, created by the highly talented Blue Collar Heaven. For AoW2 inspiration, our Scenario Designers Hall is well worth a visit, and so are The Wizards of Creation, an "AoW2 mapmakers guild, housing the elite and master mapmakers".

So off you go - start trying out and rating all those lovely maps!

Mapmaking Competition - List of Entered Maps

Give your opinion of the maps here - The Day of Judgment

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 08-02-2003 @ 04:03 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
TalonThorn
posted 04-11-03 01:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 85       
Is a three-level small AoW 1 map considered to be a "small" map?
RogerRabid
posted 04-11-03 01:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 85       
Yes - also I forgot to mention that you can make as many submissions as you want, in as many categories as you want
Magog
posted 04-11-03 04:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 85       
Hehe, lucky I didn't release my small MP map yet...
Outlier
posted 04-12-03 02:40 AM EDT (US)     4 / 85       
RtR, is it possible to submit a map as both single player and multiplayer? Believe it or not, I'm actually trying my hands on a map. *uh hum* Don't expect too much fancy graphics though, as in I'm not very artistic. A decent storyline and should be a challenge. Just have to see if I can finish by the deadline now ...

Outlier out ...

RogerRabid
posted 04-12-03 07:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 85       
It's quite unusual for a map to be really good for both SP and MP, but you are more than welcome to enter them in both categories. SP maps usually have lots of pop-up messages and quests, which MP players often dislike. MP maps generally need to be well balanced, whereas SP maps are usually heavily slanted in favour of the AI. But anything's possible, so we await your submission(s) with anticipation...

We will also be stressing to members that playability is extremely important when judging a map. Eye-candy is great, but a pretty map shouldn't win unless it is also great to play

Needles
posted 04-12-03 06:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 85       
Is there any special submission routine, or do we just indicate "map tourney" in the description field, or are all small maps submitted within the eligible window automatically entered?
RogerRabid
posted 04-12-03 07:39 PM EDT (US)     7 / 85       
If members tell us in this thread the name of the map that they have submitted, and which of the four categories they want it entered into, that will be sufficient

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
Calthodian
posted 04-13-03 01:04 AM EDT (US)     8 / 85       
I've got a map that I tried to submit for the single and multiplayer catagories but I keep getting a page come up that says there has been an error during security checks. It's the first time I've submited anything so am I doing anything wrong?
RogerRabid
posted 04-13-03 07:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 85       
Sorry, I've never encountered that problem before!

Is it an AoW1 or an AoW2 map?
You're trying to submit a zip file?
You haven't included any spaces or unauthorised characters in the name of the zip file?
Are you logged in as a member at the time?

Is it possible to copy and paste the error message for us, please, to give us a better idea

TalonThorn
posted 04-14-03 01:41 AM EDT (US)     10 / 85       
Ok, I'll get this thing started:

For the category of AoW 1 Multiplayer Maps:

Magic Rules!

The cataclysmic destruction has left you and a few survivors barely escaping with your lives. You land on a seemingly promising island only to wake the next day to the sound of sea serpents destroying your ship. It has since been a few months and you have established a small village. This seems like a good time to try to explore the rest of this small island to begin to reestablish your race in what is left of the world.

This is a small map with lots of mana and spellcasters, but not much gold. Expect to work on some high level spells to win this game.

:.

For the category of AoW 2 Multiplayer Maps:

War of 8 Heroes
(To be submitted later in the week -- maybe even a bit later)
Map inspired by AoW1 map, "War of the 12 Mages." Special thanks to Greenmonster for this inspiration.

Eight Heroes seek to gain the upper hand, each having his own name for the small island and his own reasons for claiming it. One says it's his birthright while another just not liking the neighbors -- whatever the reason, each hero is determined to expel all others.

Since this is such a remote location, each would-be ruler is not burdened by the whims of powerful wizards and sorcerers. Their tools include a single race, cosmos magic, and ancient stones throughout the land, which connect it all together.

Heros are not like wizards; they can not cast domain spells, nor even summon creatures. Each hero has attained the highest level of study in magic, but must abide by this limitation: all magic is released only in combat. Fortunately, there are may conflicts to allow the would-be ruler to extend his hand by magic.

It may not look like much of a "world" to you, but to each hero, the land holds some personal promise of the future.

Will you lead your hero to victory?

[This message has been edited by TalonThorn (edited 04-18-2003 @ 07:01 PM).]

Calthodian
posted 04-15-03 03:27 AM EDT (US)     11 / 85       
Roger, I'll see to getting more info to you when I get some time off work at the end of the week.

Cheers.

BSCIceMan
posted 04-15-03 09:12 AM EDT (US)     12 / 85       
Calth, what programs were u running while trying to upload your file? Did you have your firewall up (if you have one which everyone should btw) while uploading? if so you prolly couldnt do it because the firewall had blocked the port u wanted to use to upload because of the security risk, try taking down firewall if u got one, that error sounds like a reason a firewall would give to why u cant upload something, then again unless im sitting at your comp its hard to tell

Life is never fair.... get over it

BSCIceMan

Final Bolt
posted 04-15-03 01:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 85       

Quote:

It has to be playable under standard TS136 rules.

Forgive my ignorance but can you give me reference to those rules?

- FB

Magog
posted 04-15-03 02:26 PM EDT (US)     14 / 85       

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance but can you give me reference to those rules?

He just means patch 1.36 and no other mods installed.
RogerRabid
posted 04-15-03 02:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 85       
There are various modded versions of AoW around, such as Warlocks Rules, or Lighthawks Rules. These can use units and buildings that are not available in the game when you play using standard Triumph Studios (TS) rules. If you try to load a Warlocks Rules map under TS136 rules, AoW will usually crash

If you look at the bottom right of the screen when you load AoW, if you have the latest patch it should say Version: 1.36.0053

So all maps submitted must be playable under TS136 rules

Magog
posted 04-15-03 04:02 PM EDT (US)     16 / 85       
Didn't I just say that?
TalonThorn
posted 04-15-03 08:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 85       
Um, one other question: how may maps can one person submit? Is there a limit? (silly me, I missed the answer right under my nose )

[This message has been edited by TalonThorn (edited 04-18-2003 @ 06:55 PM).]

Dan Donnard
posted 04-16-03 07:01 AM EDT (US)     18 / 85       
Is there a restriction concerning a "time limit" after some rounds ? Inspired by "Warm Crevice" IŽd like to create one in my map for the competition.
RogerRabid
posted 04-16-03 07:12 AM EDT (US)     19 / 85       

Quote:

Um, one other question: how may maps can one person submit? Is there a limit?

No, as stated in post 2:

Quote:

I forgot to mention that you can make as many submissions as you want, in as many categories as you want

I must update the main post accordingly

Quote:

Is there a restriction concerning a "time limit" after some rounds ? Inspired by "Warm Crevice" IŽd like to create one in my map for the competition.

All maps must be submitted by 31st May to be included in the competition

However, we always want more new maps in our download sections, so even if you miss the deadline for the competition, you could still submit your maps when they are ready and I'm glad you liked Warm Crevice

Calthodian
posted 04-18-03 11:05 AM EDT (US)     20 / 85       
I'm still having trouble uploading, I've disabled all virus protection software and my firewall but still get the page saying `there has been an error during security checks'.
I've never had a problem uploading to any other site (but theres always one isn't there?)
Can't I just email the map to you as an attachment?

You don't suppose that Windows XP could be at fault do you?

RogerRabid
posted 04-18-03 01:42 PM EDT (US)     21 / 85       
Yes, you can email me the zip file. It's unlikely to be XP
TalonThorn
posted 04-18-03 07:00 PM EDT (US)     22 / 85       
Tribulation

Submitted for the Age of Wonders (1) Multiplayer category

The highmen have returned and found the races wanting. They demand justice, vengence, and tribulation from the evil races remaining in the land. The evil races better learn to cooperate quickly or it will be a quick end for all of them. Prepare to be hit by alters of destruction!

This is a survivor game. Last of four human players on the map wins. Highmen are AI only, and are very strong. All four evil races are available for human play. Not recommended for other than human 4 players.

D3_kamikaze
posted 04-18-03 07:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 85       
Hey,

I'm tring to make a new map, a small Single player. I will probably have it finished in two weeks. Is that too late?

D3_kamikaze, 53rd member of BTOOIC
I lIkE rOoT bEeR

Play Runescape: www.runescape.com
^^ D3_kamikaze on that ^^

Outlier
posted 04-18-03 09:33 PM EDT (US)     24 / 85       
I just noticed that I've been working on a medium-size map instead of a small one! I don't suppose there's a way to transfer some of the map to the small size or converting ...

Oh well, I am not sure about being able to meet the May 31st deadline anymore but I'll try. Silly me ...

Outlier out ...

Needles
posted 04-19-03 10:39 AM EDT (US)     25 / 85       
RTR, Please include the map I've just submitted, "Giants in the Earth", in the competition, AoW2 - single player. It's a novice level map so I don't like it's chances - but it seems to me we don't have enough maps for newbies, which is probably more important than winning...and there's something to be said for a pretty, bug-free map even if it IS easy. Thanks!
Horza666
posted 04-19-03 02:12 PM EDT (US)     26 / 85       
@RtR : Some additional questions:

What about maps, allready published on other sites ? Possible to bring them in as new ones here ?

My english is not very good (still improving), so what about maps with a story in an other language ? i.e. german

Is it possible to organise testplays against other forum members ? (password protected)?

i'm back after nearly 8 years...- if you are looking for PBEM players just put me in with horza666(at)outlook.com. New games or substitute does not matter, i need to shake of some rust.
RogerRabid
posted 04-19-03 05:13 PM EDT (US)     27 / 85       
Yes
Yes
Yes but why password protect them?
Horza666
posted 04-19-03 05:24 PM EDT (US)     28 / 85       
... just to hide your best ideas .... ;-)
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 04-19-03 07:35 PM EDT (US)     29 / 85       
BTOOIC is coming as well!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
Horza666
posted 04-20-03 00:54 AM EDT (US)     30 / 85       
please sign up my map "Battle at Fergana" - which i submitted as download # 232 today - for the AoW2 MP Competion.

it's been first try, but not reviewed for a while, but one can have fun to play it.

*returns to editor...*

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames