You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.136 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Summer 2007 AOW1 Mapmaking Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:Summer 2007 AOW1 Mapmaking Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-10-07 10:19 PM EDT (US)         
Mapmaking Competition

It’s here.. it’s time… for the Summer 2007 AOW1 Mapmaking Competition!!!!!

Now is the time to show them that AOW1 is not dead but alive and kicking.

There have been few maps submitted as of late and we’d like to see more of them. The sky is the limit on this one as far as map size, levels, type. Have Fun!

Map Categories

1. AoW1 Single-Player Maps

2. AoW1 Multi-Player Maps

Mapmaker Special Category

1. First Time Mapmakers – the Rookie Award
(Have you ever made a map before? Try it out, you may like it. If you’ve never downloaded a map before now you have an excuse to try)

The Rules
All maps must be NEW maps so if it's currently available in the downloads section it is not eligible for this competition. Submit maps to the downloads section in the normal way then put a post in this thread to let us know the name of the map submitted, and which category (or categories) you want it entered into.

All maps must be playable under standard Triumph Studios TS136 ruleset.

You can enter as many maps as you want, and in either category.

The closing date for submissions is Aug 31, 2007 (23:59 US Eastern time).

Any forum member can submit a map, but it must be a map they have created themselves, although other people can be involved (help playtest, translate, write story, etc).

The Judges and Scoring

Maps will be scored by a panel of judges. These judges will score the map based on 3 main categories

Fun Meter: Is it balanced and fun to play and will you play it again

Originality and Creativity: Well… how creative is it?

Map Personality: How is the map story, graphics, looks, feel.

All forumers are also highly encouraged to go to the downloads section, check out the map and fill out a review of it.

Prizes

Eternal Fame and Glory will be given to the winners. One for Single Player, one for Multi Player and one for the coveted Rookie Mapmaker.

Resources

If you need some cool tips for creating good AoW1 maps, you can go to our Custom Map Makers Resource, created by the highly talented Blue Collar Heaven. AOW Custom Map Makers' Resource

Once maps are registered in this thread I'll create a list of all the maps.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions about the competition.

Registered Maps

Multi Player Maps

Lock Continent by CrazySlyHawk In Downloads Section
Swolterwoods by Swolte In Downloads Section
Napoleonic Wars - Historical Rerun by Deroman pending
The First War of Blood by Arctic Wolf In Downloads Section
Greyhawk Adventures by Dan Peterson In Downloads Section
Dreamland by Dan Donnard In Downloads Section
Whispers in the Wind by Elquien In Downloads Section
The Days of the Charlatan by Artic Wolf In Downloads Section
Shield Isle by Codius In Downloads Section
Gates to Purgatory by Dan Donnard In Downloads Section
The Undead Hallows by Dan Donnard In Downloads Section
Shadowfall by Dan Donnard In Downloads Section
The Race to Glory by Jetrall In Downloads Section
Lady Cynthia's Garden by Artic Wolf In Downloads Section
The Wargod Tournament by Dan Donnard In Downloads Section
Circle of Life by Skout77 In Downloads Section
tbd by AlexMars pending
Fantasy Africa by Asator In Downloads Section

Single Player Maps

Harvest by Antichroust In Downloads Section
Blood Valley (campaign, 3 orig maps) by Codius In Downloads Section
Finbar's Quest by Gandalf the White In Downloads Section
Shadows of the Past by Skout77 In Downloads Section
Last of his Kind by Dan Donnard In Downloads Section
Peunks Map by Peunk616 In Downloads Section
Highland by Medra666 In Downloads Section
Final Fantasy 5 by Asator In Downloads Section

Rookie Map Makers

Swolte (debatable but still... first AoW1 map)
Jetrall
Asator - 2 maps
Medra666
Peunk

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 09-01-2007 @ 09:20 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 07-10-07 11:51 PM EDT (US)     1 / 136       
Ok, great, I am joining the big AoW-1 revival!

I am probably gonna make a small map. Gnagna, here is your first tough judgement call as Cherub. Let's see how you get yourself out of this one!

Swolte asks: Can I count as Rookie, I never made a map before with AoW-1!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
Lord Naismith
posted 07-11-07 00:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 136       
XD Swolte's part of the revival movement booyah!

Please, everyone please participate, I will definitely be more than willing to playtest and review any maps submitted, we will show all of the other heavens how alive and b*tt kicking we still are! Ha!

Join up! And get working on those maps!
Gandalf theWhite
posted 07-11-07 03:56 AM EDT (US)     3 / 136       
Contests begins? That's excellent! Sounds like a good opportunity to end the 8 moths break and make a map or two (or maybe, maybe three).
Swolte asks: Can I count as Rookie, I never made a map before with AoW-1!
Not to meddle in our Cherub's duties, but you've already made some highly succesfull maps for AoW, so what kind of rookie are you? Yes those scenarios were for SM, and I've never made a map for the sequel so perhaps I shouldn't debate it, but on your own AoW2 Heaven one article (in the Scenario Design) says that mapmaking is really similar in both games
Oh and more importantly, welcome to the land of First Age of Wonders. It's great to see you here!
Lord Naismith
posted 07-11-07 05:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 136       
^ Agreed with Gandalf ^_^
CrazySlyHawk
posted 07-11-07 10:29 AM EDT (US)     5 / 136       
Gotta get in on this...have a few ideas

Token Irish Gamer!
Dan Donnard
posted 07-11-07 02:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 136       
Hi,

I'm also back for a map (or maybe two or even more) to make. One question: Must the Maps COMPLETELY new or am I allowed to take an existing map and change it (Add cities, change winning condistions, story, whatsoever)?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-11-07 06:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 136       
One question: Must the Maps COMPLETELY new or am I allowed to take an existing map and change it (Add cities, change winning condistions, story, whatsoever)?
One intent of the competition is to have NEW maps. We do not want to discourage anyone from submitting any kind of map (please Dan... start making maps). However.... if you take one of your own maps from ages ago and try and fluff it up a bit with minor changes (win condition) the originality score is going suffer significantly. But... if you can take an old map and really change it around so the feel and play is significantly different then yes, by all means submit it. As an example.... Artic Wolf is known for creating several versions of his maps when he submits them, usually having one version with Leaders ON, another OFF, another EASY, another HARD, another INSANE. All of these are minor changes to the same original map IMO. Your goal in this case would be to make sure the judges (Yes, I'm one of them) don't recognize the original map. If in doubt... submit it.... I'll still review it . Also, we'll be setting up a playtesters area for the tourney so you can have forumers test it for you before submitting the final version (that is if they're not too busy making maps themselves ). Their feedback may help guide you too.
Swolte: Can I count as Rookie, I never made a map before with AoW-1!
Gandolf:you've already made some highly succesfull maps for AoW(SM), so what kind of rookie are you?
For this competition a Rookie is: Someone who has not authored any maps and submitted them to the downloads section of AOW1. Appeals to your/someones status can be sent in writing to me (email) and the competition judges will review the appeal and render judgement (or we'll just make Swolte a judge so we can disqualify his entries.... after he's made them of course )

Excellent news to hear many of you talking about making maps. I can't wait to see them.
Gandalf theWhite
posted 07-12-07 04:49 AM EDT (US)     8 / 136       
OK OK OK, I understand, I've never meant anything offensive to you Swolte or to question the rules of the contest, I just didn't understand one thing enough clearly, thanks for stating it clearly Engineerd... I'll better get to the map editor instead meddling into things that seem to have potential to lead one feeling the power of Banstick
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-12-07 08:10 AM EDT (US)     9 / 136       
No worries here mate, It's always good to get some clarification on things. Swolte does have a step up on things with his mapmaking experience in SM but we'll see if we can really convince him into making a map here....

Really glad you're thinking about making a map. Lots of good interest it seems.
Dan Donnard
posted 07-13-07 03:18 AM EDT (US)     10 / 136       
All right then: I've got two maps "in the pipe", one is completely new, the other is another remake of "After the Fall", so I will just post the new one. It will sure take a few days to finish and to test it, but I think it is worth a try
Lord Naismith
posted 07-13-07 10:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 136       
*Cheeers wildly at all the excitement aroused for this competition*

Man, this is soo inspiring to see people coming to this and going to be participating....it's like one of those carnivals or festivals you know? So awesome, I feel like writing some kind of fanfic about this all, or some kind of roleplay. Unfortunately, I'm no good at telling fanfics alone, but I am good at roleplaying....maybe I can start some kind of thread for the duration of the event...where people can post and be happy! Much like that Christmas AoW1H Party thread I remember seeing!

*Looks hopeful with puppy dog eyes*

Cool idea yea?
Athelas Borealis
posted 07-13-07 06:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 136       
Oh well, here we go.

Hi there, I'm a brand new user of this forum and I would like to introduce myself. I 'm going to participate in the competition and I thought it will be nice to say Hi. Well... Hi. :}

Anyways, my name is Victor Dosev, years 20. From the twilight realm of Bulgaria.

I've made some maps here and then. It's somehow sweet to work again with such a simple tool as the AoW editor after I've tried some nasty big-deal 3d level editors... with all their 3 dimensional stuff.

Btw for about 4-5 months now I've been working as a game designer for a local studio, so I'm kinda ... pro xD

Nevertheless I'm so happy to meet you guys, fellow AoW brethren. AoW was my first and only TBS love and after all this years... *santimental*

Well, See you around. Happy mapmaking :}

[This message has been edited by Athelas Borealis (edited 07-13-2007 @ 06:38 PM).]

Lord Naismith
posted 07-13-07 08:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 136       
OMGOSH! I can't believe it! Three times I said it in this very thread, and I'll say it again! Athelas Borealis makes the number of newcomers just within the last week at least to ten! Man! Enginerd! What the silly doggone heck of a crazed world did you get such a skill for attracting players with a single thread? Man! Look at the jackpot this time! Athelas Borealis, a fellow fan of our beloved classic, and a professional map maker! Egods! It's a sign for us all in Age of Wonders 1 Heaven mates, the time for the Revolution has begun! AoWH1 shall live yet! I'm telling you this time! There's more proof than a bucketful of an ocean! Oh man! Quest for Vive la Age of Wonders has begun!

LET THE COMPETITION BRING MORE ACTIVITY! YEAAAAAHOOO!!!!
Deroman
posted 07-14-07 07:24 AM EDT (US)     14 / 136       
Welcome aboard Athelas Borealis, the inhabitant of twilighted Bulgary. Im sure introducing yourself here is a good thing and should secure even greater number of reviews for your incoming creations.

Naismith, I think that it's not really Enginerd himself who attracts people, but this idea/project that he is handling to. Naturally Enginerd does deserve credit, but the real causer of this rerising activity is indeed in this kind of contests. I still think that the mapmaking contest should not be a one-time ace to use or used yearly, but more frequently. Or if chosen not to, maybe some tournamets or any other kinds of projects could be discussed?

And P.S. for Naismith:
Naismith, are you ever calm? According to your posts almost everyone of them includes "YEAHOOO!" or such a loud impression of personal enthusiasm. Naturally, being enthusiastic about the AoW1 aswell as having a good reason for it usually is fine enough, but I was just wondering wether you are always such brisk? You remind me of leprechaun that never stands still. (note, no offence included, just nonesense)

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
Gandalf theWhite
posted 07-14-07 11:46 AM EDT (US)     15 / 136       
Welcome aboard Athelas Borealis I'm really impressed by the numbers of people either getting back to AoW or even getting into it for the first time these days. It's really impressive and a clear proof that some renaissance has indeed begun on these forums!
See you around. Happy mapmaking :}
Danke. Sounds the wishes from the land of Twilight posses some real power, because today I somehow managed to overcome my ,,mapmaker's block" and started working on a map for contest. Thanks sincerely, Victor
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-14-07 03:11 PM EDT (US)     16 / 136       
Glad to have you aboard Athelas... another Rookie for the competition, most excellent

Oh... it was posted elsewhere that one winner of the 2003 mapmaking competition is coming out of retirement to defend his title... You can see his winning map here: Divine Chess - by Dan Petersson

And for those interested....Results of 2003 Mapmaking Competition

And... to help support this year's competition...SUmmer 2007 Mapmaking Comp - Playtesters, Map Design Discussion

And since Deroman mentioned it... AOW1 Upcoming Events and Calender
Lord Naismith
posted 07-14-07 03:31 PM EDT (US)     17 / 136       
Ah...sorry Deroman, but for me, I've never witnessed the comeback of a classical game, from near death to potential activity once more, so I'm very happy to see this happening here, for I'll use this example in life to prove that anything is possible! Once we get maps back, we'll get more interest to play, and that makes me very happy, for that might mean there will be more people to talk to, more people posting on these forums, heck, we might get so many people, we actually might get game related discussions going again like how good is a black dragon really against a reaper? Or maybe people will start to talk about campaign tips and help again, or maybe someone will come up with more general tips an hints other than ones here, maybe more strategies will be created and shared, a whole new life once more for this heaven and the game. That's why I'm happy, so much potential energy and movement.

I mean, out with it, we get enough people, their may even be one brave soul who can gather out of the people who've come back some who fight for all that's good and the right morality, to oppose evil as a clan and all things not nice or morally right.

And that'd mean another clan for the forums here to interact with. Not necessarily war, but hey, anything can happen!

Can you see my vision friends? Do you see the adventure that beckons? The endless games and maps that are to come? The friends and new people we'll meet?

Summer 2007 AOW1 Mapmaking competition for the win!!!!!!!

HOOOOOOAAAAAHH!
Deroman
posted 07-14-07 05:22 PM EDT (US)     18 / 136       
No, no. Don't be sorry Naismith. I never mentioned that these characteristics you share would be bad ones. I think your enthusiasm is inspiring, but what I wanted to say is that eventually it will turn out to be more weird rather than inspiring if they all include "yeehaaw" . Nonetheless, you should be medalled for keeping that western-cowboy-chasing-cattle theme alive. No offence ment. Your ideas are good and I do hope aswell more activity for AoWH and her forums.
I mean, out with it, we get enough people, their may even be one brave soul who can gather out of the people who've come back some who fight for all that's good and the right morality, to oppose evil as a clan and all things not nice or morally right.
If this is how you see it your picture of the world is twisted and sick. Let them all bow to man made God, hypocrisy and morale that is created to submit weakminded to will of their stronger rulers.
Pay a coin and all thee sins shall be away. Nay, I say, that would mean a clan war . But naturally, that would mean more activity aswell.
(NO offence ment here eighter, just matter of difference in opinions)
And since Deroman mentioned it... AOW1 Upcoming Events and Calender
Great work Enginerd. You have done alot so far, keep it going.

Lord Naismith
posted 07-14-07 07:58 PM EDT (US)     19 / 136       
I have noticed your view on this, but for the sake of keeping this thread related to the awesome summer game competition coming up, I shall discuss this matter with you another time perhaps on another appropriate thread. Sooo...

Please get those maps in everybody! We're gonna make it one of the best in years! What else should this thread be used for?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-14-07 09:48 PM EDT (US)     20 / 136       
What else should this thread be used for?
Registering maps for the tourney

Asking questions about the tourney
CrazySlyHawk
posted 07-15-07 08:43 PM EDT (US)     21 / 136       
Mapmaker : CrazySlyHawk

Email : emacfallon@hotmail.com

Map Name : Lock Continent (work. title)

Phew...Hope I got the right thread to post my application!

Token Irish Gamer!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-15-07 09:30 PM EDT (US)     22 / 136       
Map added to registered maps for tourney (1st one!!!!), now just make sure it gets submitted to the download section before Aug 31st. Also, let me know if it is for SP or MP.

Main header updated
CrazySlyHawk
posted 07-15-07 10:21 PM EDT (US)     23 / 136       
MP!!!

(how does Naismith say it...)

YEAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Token Irish Gamer!
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 07-15-07 10:36 PM EDT (US)     24 / 136       
Swolterwoods for MP

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
Lord Naismith
posted 07-16-07 00:54 AM EDT (US)     25 / 136       
You've got the spirit CrazySlyHawk! ;D

Since we'll be playtestin' them good maps, will be a-havin' some good ol' tourney's to test the maps themselves? ;D
Deroman
posted 07-17-07 10:08 AM EDT (US)     26 / 136       
Submit to Summer 2007 Mapmaking Competition.
Although started previously, still ongoing project, never released or finished, neighter played (so I hope it's acceptable to the competition although creating started before announcement).

Mapmaker: Deroman

Email: -removed-

Map Title: Napoleonic Wars - Historical Rerun

MP/SP: Definately MP, since AI most likely can't prioritize enemies nor make outstanding charges

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 12-14-2007 @ 07:22 AM).]

Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 07-17-07 06:50 PM EDT (US)     27 / 136       
updated heaeder, added 2 more maps
Arctic Wolf
posted 07-20-07 11:39 PM EDT (US)     28 / 136       
Hi Enginerd

Oh yeah... Hi Everyone!

Long time sice I was here but it is nice to see Enginerd with with a new job, and I guess that since Enginerd has been such a good friend of mine I feel an obligation to help out with the map competition. But how should I help. I have three new maps I could submit...

Or maybe I should just hang on to them for a while and help with the judging.

I guess I'll ask the competition. Would your rather compete with ARCTIC WOLF..... or be judged by him...

(Heh Heh)

PS Enginerd Lets start our game over again as I can't seem to find the turn and we are only on day two. Just send it over.

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 07-20-2007 @ 11:41 PM).]

Lord Naismith
posted 07-21-07 00:13 AM EDT (US)     29 / 136       
Oh man! *Is so jumpy and excited one of the famed map makers are back*

I gotta be the first to welcome you back Arctic Wolf! Now that you and Eriksson are here...and also Gandalf....wow, we got like a core team right there! XD

Too bad it isn't a team effort, but it's good to have you back Arctic Wolf! Age of Wonders is making it's comeback!

Vive la Age of Wonders!

(Good luck with the maps!)

(P.S. Or judging!) XD
disenchanted
posted 07-21-07 01:09 AM EDT (US)     30 / 136       
New map

Mapmaker: Me
email: disenchanted dot aow at gmail dot com
Title: Unbeliever
Category: Single Player, Rookie
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.