You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.42 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » November Monthly Challenges (1P & 2P PBEM Co-Op)
Bottom
Topic Subject:November Monthly Challenges (1P & 2P PBEM Co-Op)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Angel Draco
HG Lawgiver
posted 11-02-01 12:42 PM EDT (US)         
The two new Monthly Challenges for November have been added to the Downloads section.

GENERAL RULES
Play the scenario, and try to beat it as quickly as you can. Please submit your game save for the winning turn to Cay@HeavenGames.com before 23:59 EST on the due dates.

If you are playing Single Player, you must save and keep copies of your game at Days 5, 10, 20, and then every 20 days after that (40, 60, 80, etc). You are not allowed to use the Beatrix command line cheats. We will use these game saves to verify that you did not cheat.

If you are playing the Co-Op, you only have to turn in your final save because it is impossible to use the Beatrix cheats in a PBEM or MP game. On to the games!

================================================

THE FALL OF GONDOLIN (1P)
Submissions Due: Monday, December 31, 2001 before 23:59 EST
The single player challenge this month is Finger's classic Warlock's Rules map. You must have the Warlock's Rules mod pack installed to play this map. You can download it here from the MISC. Downloads section.

Single Player Rules
You may play simultaneous or classic turns.

You must play with the following settings:

• WR110 Rules
  • Leaders OFF
  • Leader Customization OFF
  • Allied Victory ON
  • Exploration ON

================================================

ALL THINGS UNEQUAL (2P PBEM Co-Op)
    Submissions Due: Thursday, January 31, 2002 before 23:59 EST
    Jason's classic map (and unofficial sequel to his Coming of the Dread Lord map) is the Nov/Dec monthly challenge. This map uses Triumph's Standard Rules (TS136) with the latest v1.36 patch installed. It is designed for two players to team up against the AI and is meant for PBEM play (which is why you have 2 months to complete it).

Because this is the first time we're trying out a co-op monthly challenge, the 2 month deadline may or may not be extended depending on player's feedback.

PBEM Co-Op Rules
    You must play two-player, co-operative PBEM turns.

You must play with the following settings:

• TS136 Rules
  • Leaders OFF
  • Leader Customization OFF
  • Allied Victory ON
  • Exploration ON

Cay will be posting the entries as they come in on the soon-to-be-unveiled Tournaments section of AOWH. Have fun and good luck!

[This message has been edited by Cay (edited 11-19-2001 @ 10:22 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Caitiff
    posted 11-03-01 09:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 42       
    Hey, Draco, both links to the maps send me to the all things unequal download. Is the fall map the version 1.14 or whatever is listed in the normal download section? I already have that map, but if it's been modified, then you need to fix the link.
    Nojd
    posted 11-03-01 09:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 42       
    I fixed the link!
    Frogman
    posted 11-03-01 11:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 42       
    On the co-op game, are restarts permitted? I don't see any way to monitor it.

We could either allow people to restart turns, say any restart messages disqualify you, or allow restart messages but hope people don't abuse it like we do for the tourny.

Caitiff
    posted 11-04-01 11:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 42       
    I don't see why restarts would be a problem in a coop game. If we were allowed to reload the single player game for greater effect, it ought to be the same for this. Personally, I don't know that I have the time to go for "best time", especially in a pbem format. I might give "fall" a try, but that's already a difficult map, very large, and the city was hard enough trying to get a good time in.

I do think for contests like this, a smaller map works better, but I could be wrong or just projecting.

Frogman
    posted 11-04-01 11:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 42       
    I took a look at the map for fall of gondolin. It looks like a major epic and a massive amount of hours to play. I was going to give it a try, but I don't think its the kind of map you can finish in 3 weeks, which is all I would have considering the Thanksgiving holidays here at the end of the month. I think you would be doing well to finish that kind of map in under 100 days. I think you could have things well in hand much sooner, but an extra large map with 3 fully developed levels, terrain inversions, and the nasty warlock rules critters running around.... I would be interested to see if we have any takers.

All Things Unequal is another large map and you would probably need to be doing more than a turn a day to finish. The key to this map is to pick a couple of strong races.

[This message has been edited by Frogman (edited 11-04-2001 @ 11:46 PM).]

waterfly
    posted 11-05-01 01:30 AM EDT (US)     6 / 42       
    I will give FoG a try .... (our slugfast final is kind of slow!)
    Raveji
    posted 11-05-01 09:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 42       
    Ive played through FoG once, it took 400+ turns
    Of course i wasnt beating the clock or anything so i took it easy. The thing is since its a huge map, no leaders or special objectives you will spend a lot of time hunting down the last enemy units. Then luck might be signifigant factor.
    Angel Draco
    HG Lawgiver
    posted 11-05-01 12:25 PM EDT (US)     8 / 42       
    Well, as always, we're getting our feet wet with the best way to run these contests. Pehaps we should just go for 2 months completion for both.
    Cay
    posted 11-06-01 11:39 AM EDT (US)     9 / 42       
    Yeah, perhaps we should make it 2 months for large maps such as FOG. And I like the idea of setting objectives which must be captured, as Raveji pointed out that clearing the map will introduce some luck factors, and just take longer as well. I can put objectives on FOG, and make it a 2-monther.

Sorry to everyone for all these little 'bugs', but as Draco said we're just getting our feet wet here. I really hope that everybody has fun with these tournies and challenges. But more importantly, I hope that we get all of the 'bugs' and administrative fiascos dealt with now (at the tail end of AOW), so that things are ready to roll smoothly when AOW2 is released. By then we should have tournaments and challenges running much more efficiently, and hopefully, we will have a lot more participants as well!

Cheers,
    -Cay

Cay
    CayMack on Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam. CayMack#1436 on BattleNet.
    Visit: TrueAchievements|TrueTrophies
    Angel Draco
    HG Lawgiver
    posted 11-07-01 10:45 AM EDT (US)     10 / 42       
    So are we "officially" changing FOG due date to the end of December, and ATU to the end of January? I think Froggy's right that to conqure that map, even if you played a turn a day, you'd need more than 60 turns.
    Frogman
    posted 11-07-01 01:40 PM EDT (US)     11 / 42       
    I would be up for a co-op try at All Things Unequal. Any one else game? I am teamed with Draco in the tourny and would be happy to take him if he is allowed to play in these things.

I guess we should start a list of who is playing or wants to play and get things moving.

[This message has been edited by Frogman (edited 11-07-2001 @ 01:42 PM).]

Kris Lighthawk
    posted 11-07-01 04:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 42       
    Frogman, I would be happy to join you in that game
    Being in a co-op game with you could be an interesting experience

Kris

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 11-07-2001 @ 04:11 PM).]

Frogman
    posted 11-07-01 06:16 PM EDT (US)     13 / 42       
    Well, I have played with Draco many times. No slight Draco, but I would be interested to see how Kris plays. Should be a strong team.

So now we need to pick races. I'll take a look at it after dinner and drop you my thoughts on email.

Frogman
    posted 11-08-01 01:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 42       
    Kris and I are started. Is anyone else going to try it? If not there isn't much for us to do except beat the Dec 31 deadline. If people don't get started pretty soon, there won't be any way to finish by then.
    Guvmint Helper
    posted 11-08-01 01:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 42       
    Aw what the heck, I'll see if I can find a partner to challenge you two. There may be others doing the map, but this way you'll know that you at least have someone keeping you from getting too sloppy.

Anyone up for it? If I don't get a reply here, I'll email around when I get home late tonight.

Raveji
    posted 11-08-01 01:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 42       
    Okay im in. I just hope i wont make a fool out of myself
    Guvmint Helper
    posted 11-08-01 02:16 PM EDT (US)     17 / 42       
    Well, Raveji, it's 2 against the computer, so if we're embarassed we don't have to send in the results. No one need ever know.

Still in?

(I'd volunteer to do a 2-on-2 against Frogman and Kris, except that I like my PBEM games to last longer than 5 turns... and I like to have a chance of winning)

Frogman
    posted 11-08-01 02:23 PM EDT (US)     18 / 42       
    Nothing will end in 5 days with All Things Unequal. Its a tough map. Very few resources and the ai plays very tough, or rather the computer cheats are tough to compete against because you're always stretched for gold and mana.
    Raveji
    posted 11-09-01 09:08 AM EDT (US)     19 / 42       
    Im still in, im not THAT lousy, despite my tourney results.
    Guvmint Helper
    posted 11-09-01 10:40 AM EDT (US)     20 / 42       
    Against Frogman and Kris my lousiness would be sufficient to sink us quickly, Rav.

Anyway, I got home very late last night. You can start the game today if you've got time, picking whatever races seem appropriate for us, or I'll start it tonight if you let me know what your preferences are.

Raveji
    posted 11-09-01 01:19 PM EDT (US)     21 / 42       
    I´ll study the map a bit, and send it out in 1hour or so.
    Raveji
    posted 11-09-01 02:12 PM EDT (US)     22 / 42       
    Is it okay to set the AI players to "independent" i did´nt.
    Angel Draco
    HG Lawgiver
    posted 11-09-01 04:04 PM EDT (US)     23 / 42       
    No worries Froggy. I barely have any time to play right now. Trying to get 3 new Heavens up and runing besides other things.
    Frogman
    posted 11-09-01 06:06 PM EDT (US)     24 / 42       
    I don't think the other ai forces can be set to independant but your right in asking the question. I don't think it was addressed.
    waterfly
    posted 11-17-01 01:59 PM EDT (US)     25 / 42       
    I have to admit I alread need more turns for the singles map than for the last tourney - but it will be less than 100 very likely
    Frogman
    posted 11-18-01 11:05 PM EDT (US)     26 / 42       
    Just an update on the All Things Unequal map. It looks like Kris and I will finish before Thanksgiving. We had several days running where we got in 5 turns a day. We would do well to finish in under 40 days, but under 50 for sure.
    Guvmint Helper
    posted 11-18-01 11:45 PM EDT (US)     27 / 42       
    I presume that, in the All Things Unequal, any victory is a fair victory? I'm allied to most of the world right now, and only have to kill a couple of races, seems like. At the least, the Evil Alliance is just romping all over the place.

Raveji and I won't be done by Thanksgiving. It'll take at least through the weekend. Dunno how long it'll take. Depends on how elusive the various rogue units are (the Azracs, for example, have a beholder floating around that's being quite annoying).

Cay
    posted 11-19-01 10:19 PM EDT (US)     28 / 42       
    Quoted from Guv:
    I presume that, in the All Things Unequal, any victory is a fair victory?

Yes, any victory is a fair victory. Figuring out which two races to play, and what alliances to make is part of the puzzle. You might try playing the map several times using different races!

Cheers,
    -Cay

Cay
    CayMack on Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam. CayMack#1436 on BattleNet.
    Visit: TrueAchievements|TrueTrophies
    Thorongil
    posted 11-28-01 03:37 PM EDT (US)     29 / 42       
    Is it correct that the 'all things' challenge doesn't end until the end of Jan?
    Angel Draco
    HG Lawgiver
    posted 11-29-01 02:17 PM EDT (US)     30 / 42       
    Yes.

Quote:
    Submissions Due: Thursday, January 31, 2002 before 23:59 EST

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames