You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Mod Packs
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Mod Packs » New units inserting into the AoW 1
Bottom
Topic Subject:New units inserting into the AoW 1
JIECHUK
posted 04-10-16 05:56 PM EDT (US)         
Hello everyone!
I like Age of Wonders for a long time. This is one of the most strategic games from the all turn-based or real-time once. But I would like to insert some new units in the game. It would be not many units, 3 or something like that. Tell me, please, is it possible, and what I should do for it? I am not a programmer. So, if anyone would help me, I would be very pleased. Any work should be paid, so we could discuss the price.
I am looking forward the answer.
All the best!
AuthorReplies:
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 04-18-16 02:35 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Possible? Sure. There are several tools, but far and away the best is DevEdit Which is the full (but not officially supported) version of the AoW1 Map editor. Which is one of the tools that Triumph used to build the resource files in the first place.

It does not however include any graphics modeling tools - those were licensed from a third party, although you can add/import recolored sprites and give them new attributes.
If you want to get totally fancy you'll have to do some work, but there are a few people still around who can help you.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
JIECHUK
posted 04-28-16 01:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 3       
ChowGuy, thank you very much! What's about the new units, I would like to add 3 new neutral units: a hare, a squirrel and a beaver. So, as I have understand your post, DevEdit could not help me. It's a pity, that there are a few people who can insert the new units, not the recolored sprites. But maybe you know some of that people? I know, it would be hardly to do. But every work has its price. I think, we'll understand each other and define the real price for this work. I have seen some different mods and rulesets for AoW 1 here, so I think, it is possible to insert some new creatures.
Thank you and all the best! :-)
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 04-30-16 02:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3       
No, you'll still need DevEdt to acttually integrate your new units into the various PFS files, and to tie them all into a new "Release.hss" (the main index database). DevEdt will allow you to tweak all the needed parameters, include spwciying the graphics frames within an ILB for a unit, either new or existing. BUT, to actually create an ILB (that's the Image Library) you'll need to uses ILBEDIT (it sould already be in your AOW folder somewhere) as well as something to create or extract the images from elsewhere and convert them to the proper format. Remember, AOW is strictly sprite based, so that's ALL of the images for a given unit, in all six facings, with multiple frames required for animation. It's been awhile since I've tinkered with DevEdt, so I don't remember how many that is per unit, but it's a lot.

I strongly advise you to install and get familiar with DevEdt to see just what you need before trying anything more. Take a look in your AOW\Release folder to get an idea of how many files make up the database. You ]i]can edit them by hand, and others did it before DevEdt was released - Notably Warlock (Praise Be His Moniker) but he was/is a very experienced moddeer and he stiil limited his mod to existing but unused units/sprites.

Your choice of course, and as you observed, others have done it for AOW1 as well as AOW2/AOWSM, and can help you once you know enough to ask the right questions.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames