You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Mod Packs
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Mod Packs » Any interest in a new mod?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Any interest in a new mod?
Thirsk
posted 05-23-14 02:48 AM EDT (US)         
I certainly am late to the party by asking this question only now.. seeing that AOW 3 has recently been released.. but I have been an avid AOW player and a follower of AOW heaven for years. For some time now, I've played and developed a private mod, Thirsk's AOW, aimed at enhancing the tactical gameplay to the highest level.

Originally based off Warlock's Ruleset, I went about further rebalancing the unit stats, adding bonuses to unit veterancy, rebalancing and lowering costs of spells, rebalancing hero stats and abilities, lowering the potential of "super-heroes" and other tweaks all over the board.

This was only ever meant for private gameplay between myself and a close friend of mine but the next thing I knew, 5 years has went by and I've add 12 new units (available in all maps without need to map edit like other mods), 52 new heroes, over 260 new hero portraits, over 160 new unit portraits, and a heap of unit stat tweaks.

I'm not saying I'm hanging up my love for AOW..that would never, ever change. I still play AOW to this day and age as nothing really comes close to the thrill of triumphing against overwhelming odds (AI Emperor with many restrictive rules placed to make the game near impossible) but now after releasing my 11th update to the mod, I felt it may be time and of adequate quality that I share my labour of love for AOW with the rest of the world. So I'm wondering if it's possible to add this to the mods page and how many people are interested in trying it out?
AuthorReplies:
Eriksson
posted 05-24-14 01:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Sounds interesting.
I would try it out.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
Mac_Biodiesel
posted 05-27-14 01:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
I never tried Warlocks, and I've played AOW since 2000, but I'm interested in checking this out. Upload it!
Thirsk
posted 09-02-14 11:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
Thought I'd mod this a little further before releasing A few more touches and it'll be ready for prime time. At the moment, there are 13 new units with new animations (mostly thanks to laurentius for his awesome ilb pack), and I would love to add a few more to spice things up so you guys are not only getting the vanilla experience.

I thought it would be worthwhile to ask if anyone had any spare ilbs lying around, ported from other games or simply from incomplete and abandoned mods, so that the mod goes a bit further with a few more new units.

Currently playtesting the thirteenth version, Armageddon edition but have plans to add more heroes and units in.
Mac_Biodiesel
posted 09-03-14 01:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
I don't know if this is on your list, but the machines you can build at a builder's guild always seemed a little over-priced and too time consuming, especially the drill. Making the drill cheaper and quicker to build I think would be neat.
Thirsk
posted 09-04-14 09:09 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
Woah that was a fast reply. Good to see there's still some active members here! Thanks for your suggestion.

Now that you mention it, I have completely neglected the drill. I agree though that 3 turns is a little too long for a tunnelling machine which already tunnels at a snail's pace. I will drop the defence back to 2 whilst reducing the days of production to 2 days. That way, it is still stronger than the average battering ram whilst still leaving catapults a more viable option for sieges. Hopefully the shortened time of production doesn't upset the balance of the game, but I can only see it enhancing tactical game play.

As for the other costs of the builder guild units, they are already cheaper I found Warlock's ruleset at 50 gold apiece to be rather reasonable so left the builder and flamethrower at 50. However, I did buff the flamethrower defence as I felt it was necessary to last longer in the front lines of battle and not simply behind walls. Other reasons for the buff include it's dependence on positioning to avoid frying friendly targets, along with its slow movement points and relatively short range.

Whilst we're talking builder guilds, I also moved the ballista to it to free up an extra slot in cities for new units. The cost is roughly 75 gold (similar to vanilla cost) but suffers from a lowered defence due to its already considerable range and damage.

Ah talking about Aow makes me feel like modding again you wouldn't happen to have any unit ilbs, would you Mac?

[This message has been edited by Thirsk (edited 09-04-2014 @ 09:10 AM).]

Mac_Biodiesel
posted 09-04-14 10:56 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
The install time for the Drill is a problem, too. It's like 6 or 9 turns. Ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm not sure I like the idea of moving the ballista to the builders guild. I would never build anything else, there, ever, unless I DESPERATELY needed a builder. I think keeping the ballista in the cities forces the players to make tough decisions.

I've not gone any farther than map editing, so I've only got the libs you can download from here, and even then not all of them. I still haven't gotten Warlock's.
Olowokandi
posted 09-14-14 12:43 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
Hello!

I have just picked up Age of Wonders 1 to play again... oh the nostalgia

I'm also very interested in your mod! I think a good mod would really freshen up the whole expirience ... I haven't tried any other mods, don't know even if mods such as Warlocks would work on 64-bit Windows 8... But amazingly AoW 1 does work
Mac_Biodiesel
posted 09-15-14 09:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
So I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but how cool would it be if there was a "mana stealing" ability, similar to "life stealing"? Any chance you could custom make that in a mod? I think it would add emphasis to spellcasting, instead of having heroes save their channeling points like misers to cast that healing spell in combat.

It would have to tailored so that you couldn't exploit it to cast a Gold Dragon in a single turn or something. The idea would be to use it in combat for individual and combat spells (not global).
Thirsk
posted 09-20-14 09:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
Thanks for the interest and suggestions guys

I was, to be honest, hoping for a few more responses from the Aow community but I guess that is wishful thinking. It just means a bit less motivation to work with, in terms of releasing the mod. So to update what's been happening so far..I've been pretty busy lately thanks to work, study, and social functions so there hasn't been much progress in playtesting, but hopefully that'll change soon.

@Mac_Biodiesel: Unfortunately, I'm no programmer so any new abilities or spells (however cool - love the mana stealing idea) are pretty much out of the question. Not even sure it's possible anyhow since the source codes remain unreleased and everything is encrypted in delphi.

@Olowokandi: Thanks for your support and interest! I, too, love returning to Age of Wonders 1 once in a while..it's like a rare gem that keeps calling you back A good mod will definitely freshen up the experience, and I hope to achieve in providing that
Mac_Biodiesel
posted 09-20-14 10:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
There's a lot of consistent activity in the AOW1 Play-by-Email forum. I'm not sure those guys pay much attention to the "unread" marks in the other sections. You might post a link there to solicit feedback.
Olowokandi
posted 09-23-14 05:35 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Well, to be fair, AoW was released 15 years ago, and newer generation probably didn't expirience it. I too am sad to see it get beaten by time, but it happens.

I mentioned this project of yours to a friend and he got super excited, so that atleast makes two of us who will use the mod actively
Eriksson
posted 09-28-14 12:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
And me, as posted earlier.

Feel free to try my mod too, included in the download of my War of the ways of living map here:
Wotwol

Think I have some more maps for it if anyone would be interessted, not uploaded here though.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com

[This message has been edited by Eriksson (edited 09-28-2014 @ 12:14 PM).]

Thirsk
posted 02-14-15 08:26 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
It's been a while but I wanted to let you guys know that the mod has been updated a fourteenth time and has finally been submitted - although currently pending for approval.

Hopefully it'll be alright since it's my first time submitting a mod. So please keep a watch out for when it pops up in the misc downloads department. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Available here:
http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1177

[This message has been edited by Thirsk (edited 02-20-2015 @ 00:07 AM).]

Troyer IV
posted 05-04-15 02:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
(Reposting from the comments section of your Misc Download)

Running the Medieval Masters version vanilla. When I launch, I get this error:

The procedure entry point AoW.AoWEngine@7E705837 could not be located in the dynamic link library AoWEPACK.dlpl.

Any help here? Nothing works to launch AoW, and even the AoWEd(itor) is running increeeedibly slowly.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames