You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Technical Help
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Technical Help » Get this game to work on windows 7?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Get this game to work on windows 7?
Aoe_1337
posted 11-05-11 11:43 AM EDT (US)         
Well, the game itself works, it launches up just as it should, and the sound is good. But i cant play because the screen goes black, or just freezes. I know this game is old, but i can play other old games without problems, aoe 1/aoe 2 is no problem.
AuthorReplies:
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 11-05-11 12:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
We need a bit more info to help out. AoW does work on Win7 so there must be something we can do to help you find a solution. Are you using a CD or electronic download (Gog/steam)? When does it freeze or go black? During a scenario load. What version of the game? Patch? etc. We'll see what we can do to help.

Good Luck.

2009 1v1 Mapmaking Competition 1st Place MapBattle of Enioch
Aoe_1337
posted 11-05-11 01:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Version 1.36, it goes black/freezes on the menu, where you select scenarios/mp etc. No cd, using daemon tools. I really hate 64 bit computers, there is so much stuff that you cant do with it. Old games are a nightmare to run properly.

I found this page : http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4589

I believe this is the problem i have, but even after i done what it said, the intro is still messed up. I have directx 11 also. I tried all form for tweaking the game setups, resolution switching, skip intro, direct sound....nothing.

[This message has been edited by Aoe_1337 (edited 11-08-2011 @ 04:50 PM).]

Armand_Milieu
posted 11-20-11 07:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
I totally quote Aoe_1337, whom I thank for addressing the problem on this very thread.

The fact is that the same happens to me:
Problem shows both on plain AOW and AOW + 1.36 patch: first video freezes without reason; after many alt+tab commands, main menu is shown, but does not work; even if video is disabled (setup option), main menu stands still.
Audio works perfectly.

Tried everything on set-up menu and even everything on compatibility windows menu (screen size, old OS, etc.).

(1) Could it be Daemon tool? Could it be we are using the same version and it turns out it is broken?
(2) Could it be because of the aforementioned missing dll?
(3) Could it be because of DirectX?

[This message has been edited by Armand_Milieu (edited 11-20-2011 @ 07:38 PM).]

Davespice
posted 11-21-11 04:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Try running it in a Window, but then Maximise the window.
Run the 'Aow Setup' from the start menu, click Settings and under "Startup video mode" choose Window.
Aoe_1337
posted 11-23-11 12:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Thanks very much for that advice, its now start working. So simple, yet i never tried that. I havent played this game in years, will be so sweet.
lem0s
posted 01-23-12 10:54 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
I did this! It's working now!

"Try running it in a Window, but then Maximise the window.
Run the 'Aow Setup' from the start menu, click Settings and under "Startup video mode" choose Window."

Just press ALT + ENTER when the screen froze.
woggy222
posted 03-08-12 07:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
So, figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread.

Everything I can find about problems with this seems to be about crashes once the game has started, but I can't even get that far; the autorun does its initial bootup (with the Install/Exit buttons), I hit Install, and then it just goes off into nowhere-land and never comes back; Setup.exe is running in the Task Manager but never does anything (using roughly 2.5MB memory).

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit edition. I've tried it with compatibility settings (on both AoWSetup.exe and Setup.exe) for Windows XP (SP3), Windows 98/ME, and Windows 95. Identical behavior with all three. My disk is a legitimate old 1.0.0 CD.
PawelS
posted 03-08-12 09:19 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Try copying the entire CD content to the HD, and running the installer from there. I don't know if it will help, but it's worth trying (I remember I had such problem with my first AoW1 CD, and it helped, I bought a new CD later because I lost the old one.)

Also, try running the installer as administrator.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
woggy222
posted 03-08-12 09:32 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Copied everything over to C:\Program Files (x86)\Age of Wonders\ and ran setup.exe from there. Still no joy. (I've been running as adminstrator the entire time).

Edit: So, after fighting for this for while, and then realizing that the trilogy is available on Steam (and that I didn't actually have Shadow Magic), I went ahead and grabbed that version. Works like a dream, patched and everything.

[This message has been edited by woggy222 (edited 03-09-2012 @ 08:06 PM).]

Devastor
posted 02-24-15 08:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
The actual GoG-Version of AoW1 works out of the box on Windows 7(64 bit) without any problems.
(Look here for details: AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies "AOW and Windows 7")
FroggyDominator
posted 04-12-16 10:35 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
TY TY TY TY VERY VERY MUCH

"Try running it in a Window, but then Maximise the window.
Run the 'Aow Setup' from the start menu, click Settings and under "Startup video mode" choose Window."

this worked for me. I tried everything!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames