You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » aow vs homm
Bottom
Topic Subject:aow vs homm
daviduk
posted 11-03-02 10:36 AM EDT (US)         
never played homm - how do these 2 games compare?
AuthorReplies:
Bluecollarheaven
posted 11-03-02 01:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
Both are fine games by their own right. They are played differently although they seem similar at first glance.

HOMM stacks creatures to the hundreds and led by a hero. The hero when defeated, doesn't die, but returns to a tavern in a nearby town and can be hired again. Basically you build town stuctures to get units, and go around collecting resources and flag mines and other resource hubs.

HOMM is good up to HOMMIII. I felt that HOMMIV was rather disappointing in the AI department.

You can't really ask this question here and hope for an objective answer. Most of us here, of course prefer AOW and therefore will rank her above HOMM series. If you ask the question at HOMM forums you would get a different answer. It depends largely on personal preference.

It wouldn't hurt to get HOMM now... in fact I think it's available in a bundle. HoMMI to III (+expansions) which is good value for money. HOMM II and III are simply superb.

Bluecollarheaven
"Where there is imagination, the possibilities are endless."
Age Of Wonders 2 Heaven | AOW2H Scenario Designers' Hall

[This message has been edited by Bluecollarheaven (edited 11-03-2002 @ 01:05 PM).]

Beren V
posted 11-03-02 06:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
Heroes of Might and Magic III, at least, has a very chivalrous atmosphere. Even if you are playing some side other than the 'chivalry' faction ("Castle"), the game still gives a very 'knight in shining armor' (or sable armor) type of feel, and you lead your armies into battle and inspire them by your very presence.

Age of Wonders, by contrast, has a very Tolkienian feel. Instead of the different town types just representing differing sides (good, neutrality, and evil) with differing hero types (the noble knight, the nature-loving druid, the savage barbarian, and the forsaken heretic), AoW focuses on the races that inhabit the world themselves. Individual characters stand for larger forces in some cases (sieges, especially), but individuals can make a difference in perilous journeys and quests into ruins, or just across the beautiful, but dangerous, countryside. As a result, it has more of an rpgish atmosphere, which blends into large-scale military strategy, and in the more rpgish parts, even the lowly swordsman (or the captain of a company thereof) can make a difference!

Walky
posted 11-04-02 03:48 AM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
OK... I gonna try to be fair to both of the games (I still prefer AoW, just to keep in mind)

Heroes:
HoMM:
- I always disliked the fact, that The Hero itself can only cast spells, but doesn't figth itself (Really disappointing if you're loosing a battle against just a few lowlevel creatures)
+ The stats of a Hero affect the creatures he leads. (e.g. if a Hero gains moving points, the whole party can move further
+ A lot of different 'upgrades' for a Hero, which are for a big part not related to fighting (Navigation, Diplomaticy etc)

AoW:
- Heroes stats don't affect party, which rends them useless to a big part (Speaking of 'Concealment', 'Swimming' if you're not playing lizards, 'Mountaineering' if not playing dwarfs, High Movement rates etc)
+ The Hero can take part of the fight
+ Lot of different Fighting abilities (Different Strikes, Domination and like, Resistances etc)
- Only a few nonfighting abilities

Parties
HoMM:
- Tend's to get to 'I have more Monsters than you'-Games
+ Also weak Monsters can be used since stacks of them are lot bigger than High level monsters
+/- no upkeep required.... (Is good for you, but tends to Unit-Massing games...)
- Never seen a reason for 'splitting' of units, so usually you have 5 stacks with 5 different monster types

AoW:
+ Quality instead of Quantity counts a lot in AoW
+ Lots of balancing has to be done for Parties (Which Unit do you want to take, slow, fast, Ranged, Melee, Resistance etc)

Races/Diplomaticy
Here, AoW wins for my part, since HoMM doesn't really offer a lot of features (No Relations, No Migrating, No Razing/Looting, No Diplomaticy etc...)

All in all I have to say that HoMM is a lot simpler than AoW. This isn't necessairly a bad thing, but I tend to like games with a bit more strategic gameplay than Unit-Massing....

Walky

Beren V
posted 11-04-02 07:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
The unit-massing problem and the heroes not in combat issue are the things that put me off from HoMM.
Falagar
posted 11-05-02 10:12 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Yep.
Always disliked the fact that heroes can't fight.
My username is actually taken from the Homm-series.
One of the things that I like in Homm is the spell effects, they are IMO better than AoW's.

Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar... Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
Alex Mars
posted 11-05-02 01:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
I don't see the heroes not-in-combat aspect of earlier HOMMs being a problem, I think that the AoW2 team got the idea of a Wizard from HOMM heroes. BTW, HOMM4 has heroes taking part in combat but HOMM5 will being going back to the old model.

For me, AoW surpasses HOMM on the strategic map. HOMM makes a forest (and all other non-clear terrain) a totally impassable barrier, I prefer the more realistic AoW terrain model. Also, while any HOMM editor is light-years ahead of any AoW editor, HOMM structures have to be entered from limited directions only which makes placing the structure and surrounding terrain subject to accidentally blocking a structure from possible entry (for example, in HOMM 3 the message sign can only be entered from the side (east-west) and not from the top or bottom (north-south), thus a sign would completely block north-south movement in a one-hex wide passage or valley).

HOMM is also subject to munchkinism. There are powerups and such that if used to excess can ruin a map. OTOH, a skilled map maker can make a very good map with their editor.

[This message has been edited by Alex Mars (edited 11-05-2002 @ 01:29 PM).]

Alex Mars
posted 11-05-02 01:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19       

Quote:

It wouldn't hurt to get HOMM now... in fact I think it's available in a bundle. HoMMI to III (+expansions) which is good value for money. HOMM II and III are simply superb.

I have to agree here, get them and try them out. They are both great.

I have come to prefer the colourful cartoon graphics of HOMM2 over the attempted realistic look of HOMM3 (although either gives you better unit graphics than AoW1). OTOH HOMM 3 introduced both an underground level (probably inspired by AoW) and the campaign editor.

One big difference: the HOMM team has a mandate to produce a powerful and effective editor for their games, the AoW team does not (and actually seems to have no interest in doing so).

Beren V
posted 11-05-02 02:38 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19       

Quoted from Alex Mars:

I don't see the heroes not-in-combat aspect of earlier HOMMs being a problem, I think that the AoW2 team got the idea of a Wizard from HOMM heroes.

I am quite certain that they got the idea frm another game called Master of Magic.

Schattenzauber
posted 11-05-02 04:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
it's not that bad that the hero is not in combat, this will prevent heroes defeating a whole kingdom without supporting units
because TBS is not RGP i can understand that, but i don't prefere it

all i want is a real aow1 sequel

daviduk
posted 11-06-02 08:12 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
which (aow or homm) has the better AI (ie. which gives you the best run for your money)?

does homm have a random map generator?

Schattenzauber
posted 11-06-02 08:23 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
daviduk, the best homm is homm2, it has agressive AI and the units are not that equal, like in homm3, but both games are good
if you like a good campaign homm2 - Succesion Wars is your choise, anyway i never regret to buy that game!
btw there is a collectors edition with all homm1-homm3 games released

edit: homm3 does have a random map generator

[This message has been edited by Schattenzauber (edited 11-06-2002 @ 08:34 AM).]

Alex Mars
posted 11-06-02 02:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
All HOMMs have an RMG except 4.

The HOMM2/3 AI is probably better than AoW. The HOMM AI takes full advantage of spells and circumstances, something the AoW AI never did. You will find your AI enemy using spells like Towngate to evade you or get behind your lines.

Beren V
posted 11-06-02 02:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19       

Quoted from Schattenzauber:

edit: homm3 does have a random map generator

WHERE? I never found it!

*hunts frantically for it...*

Alex Mars
posted 11-06-02 04:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
New Game>Single Scenario>Random Map (it's the button under Show Available Scenarios).
Beren V
posted 11-07-02 02:39 AM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Thanks!
daviduk
posted 11-08-02 08:36 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
I bought homm2 a couple of years ago in bargain basement, never got round to playing it. seems like I should when I get the chance. don't have a manual for it though. not sure if its just homm2 or the succession wars one. does succession wars require the 1st homm2? what does succession wars add to homm2, apart from a new campaign (ie. are there any extras like extra units or spells or whatever). Saw all the homms packaged in 1 bundle down shop, but it isn't there now - does this include all the expansion games as well (don't know if there are that many).
Bluecollarheaven
posted 11-08-02 09:08 AM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
Can't help with HoMMII question. But the HoMMI-III bundle includes all the expansions as well. And the manual should be included in pdf.

Bluecollarheaven
"Where there is imagination, the possibilities are endless."
Age Of Wonders 2 Heaven | AOW2H Scenario Designers' Hall
DarkMystery
posted 11-08-02 01:29 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
daviduk, the succession wars is homm2 it is the mainprogramm, the expansion of homm2 is "The Price of Loyality"
Boarungg
posted 08-22-14 04:58 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Very old topic...

I had played several years Homm before AoW. Now I can't play Homm III, but can rarely play II beacuse of graphics, unspoiled plot connection with Might & Magic series, less balance, better magic system..

Homm is rather like board game with your hero-figure looking for adventures, mystic places and ancient artifacts. Of course there is still element of strategy, e.g. in gaining mines and resources. There is tactics. But if armies are greater, then "who hits first" rule becames most important.
On the other hand, in AoW you can engage in a real war, with many ordinary soldiers, scouts, commando, transporters and other special forces.

[This message has been edited by Boarungg (edited 08-22-2014 @ 05:05 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames