You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Revival of Single Player Monthly Challenges!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Revival of Single Player Monthly Challenges!
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 12-31-07 09:32 AM EDT (US)         
Well.. you guys asked for it (or maybe you didn't ) but the Single Player Competitions are starting up again. Not sure if we'll continue every month or just once every few months.

Needless to say! Let the competitions Begin. The rules will remain as they were before. Please refer to the old threads for more detailed info

MC Scoreboard and Rules 2004

Here are the key points:

1 - Have fun
2 - You can only have 3 submissions during the month (send them to me at mjschuck at fidnet dot com)
3 - No warp spell (can't research or use it)
4 - Final battle must be winnable in FC

Spoiler Thread? - Do you guys want one or would you just like to know who has submitted entries? Please discuss.

Questions? - I'm trying to get this all out there before the New Year so it's a bit rushed today. Please discuss.
AuthorReplies:
disenchantlered
posted 12-31-07 09:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
No warp spell (can't research or use it)
I can't research warp party? Is this intended to prevent the use of all level 3 and 4 cosmos spells? Doesn't make sense to me.
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 12-31-07 10:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Just the warp party spell is not to be used/researched. There was great debate about its use years ago. I realize it may prevent the research of some cosmos spells but if you find those other spells in towers you can use them. (there may be some maps where we will not allow the towngate spell but it will be specifically noted before hand). In theory you could warp, see where you ended up, reload the game 100 times to try warping again until you landed your strong stack right next to the enemy leader and kill him. This could shave many days off your total time.

Hope that answers your question.... now you'll have to come up with another winning strategy
CrazySlyHawk
posted 12-31-07 10:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Ah I'd say we can be trusted to research Warp Party and not use it... Seems more tempting to use it now though

Then again perhaps the games wont last so long as to either player finally researching a level 4 spell.

If the players could reach a mutual agreement before the game started to stick to the house rules as well as abstaining from using Warp Party...I dunno...

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 12-31-2007 @ 10:50 PM).]

disenchanted
posted 01-01-08 09:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Ja, I know why warp party is banned. But you say that town gate is not, even though no one could ever get it without researching warp party. Same goes for all cosmos spells beyond level 2. (You won't find them in a wizard tower on most maps.) So what I was really asking is whether it's really necessary to ban research of a spell to prevent its use. I suppose that CSH is right - the only other way would be to trust everyone not to use it.

Edit: For what it's worth, saving every turn might do the trick. You'd need spellcasting III to cast the spell in one turn, and suddenly moving halfway across the map would be noticeable.

[This message has been edited by disenchanted (edited 01-01-2008 @ 09:56 PM).]

disenchanted
posted 01-30-08 05:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
I don't think I'm going to have this done by tomorrow. Could we give everyone (if anyone else is working on it ) the weekend to finish?
Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 01-30-08 11:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
So far I have not received a submission from anyone.

I also don't have a map ready for February (I was kinda waiting to see how much interest there was for this).

I'm inclined to wait a couple more days if that will help assuming no one complains. Depending on the number of entries that come in on time I may have to give a penalty to late entries. Keep working on the map and hopefully a few others will turn it in too.
disenchanted
posted 01-31-08 11:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Well, it might be worth noting that I would have had something to submit except that it turned out to be impossible to kill the Lizards after all. I may be able to document this. From what Gandalf has told me, the bug may not happen every time, so hopefully I can actually win the second time around.

Unless you received a lot of submissions in the last 24 hours though, it's probably a moot point, so I'll just do it on the weekend.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames