You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » War vs. Peace
Bottom
Topic Subject:War vs. Peace
Redshirt
posted 04-26-12 08:17 PM EDT (US)         
I just got this game from Amazon. Am really enjoying it although I'm still very much at the learning stage.

I play a number of the scenarios that come with the game and I can't figure out what causes war or peace when I first meet the AI. Are some more peaceful?

For example, as the Azracs on Blood Island everyone agrees to peace with me when I meet them, which makes the game easier (kill them when it's convenient). As the Humans, the Dwarfs declared on me at turn 2. Playing the Dwarfs it was peculiar. Both Humans and Azracs hated me on sight but the Goblins were peaceful, which I found odd (Good peaceful with Evil, but not Neutrals). I play the Lizards on River of Life and I'm at peace with everyone. Is it somewhat random based on the scenario or am I missing something?
AuthorReplies:
Mac_Biodiesel
posted 04-27-12 10:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Good question, and one that I've wondered about, too. Usually, races of your same alignment will ask for peace as soon as they see you. Beyond that, it may be a crap shoot.
PawelS
posted 04-27-12 11:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
I think it can depend on their military strength in comparison to yours, but I don't know any details about that.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
Redshirt
posted 04-27-12 02:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
Thanks. Peace seems more likely between similar alignments, although it seems a crapshoot when Evil likes Good but Neutral doesn't.

PawelS answer gives food for thought. For most Civs I don't build units immediately because I want to buy a couple of cities with my starting gold. But as the Azracs (or Halflings) I build Elephants from turn 1. And as the Azracs I seldom have an early DOW. I'll check it out and see if there's a difference if I build units at turn 1 and 2. Or perhaps if I don't meet anybody until I buy or capture my first city.

The game is definitely easier if you aren't fighting everybody at once.

[This message has been edited by Redshirt (edited 04-27-2012 @ 02:14 PM).]

CrazySlyHawk
posted 05-23-12 05:56 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
I have often played games where the Undead or the Highmen are the ones offering peace, despite their atrocious relations with almost all other races. I'm usually an Elf when the Undead propose peace!

I think it may also have something to do with how many races an AI player is at war with. If it is at war with everybody, it may cuddle up to one or two and try to make peace over time.

Definitely deserves a bit of research

Token Irish Gamer!
Mac_Biodiesel
posted 05-23-12 10:24 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Yes, I just noticed this the other day, too. I was playing the map "After the Fall". All AI were set to Emperor, and maybe "Aggressor". I was Goblins.

The first race I encountered was the Dwarves, who offered me peace immediately! Orcs and Undead went to war with me as soon as I encountered them. Dark Elves offered peace. I tried asking the Orcs and Undead for peace several times, but they refused.

The Halfings kept offering me peace throughout the entire game, which I found odd, too.
Redshirt
posted 07-27-12 04:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
After playing a number of the scenarios, I'm starting to get a feel for it. I don't think relative strength matters - I've had situations where I've wiped out an AI, took all their cities and get a DOW as soon as I meet another AI.

One thing I have noticed is that on Toadstool Vale and Thinreed Lake it's relations that count. With only Good and Evil it seems Good will like Good and hate Evil and vice-versa. When Neutrals get involved I find it's very unpredictible. I did Diplomacy with Dragons with all 4. Strange. Lizards had peace with everyone which means they're easy to play - war on your timetable. Frostlings were at Peace with two but had war with Elves. Tried it twice with the same results. Playing as Orcs or Elves everybody else declares on me at first meeting.

I've almost finished Reedfin Canal. Humans get peace with everybody. Azracs get peace with Humans only - can't figure that out. Elves get war with everybody.

This is obviously single player. I buy cities if I can to take the military to attack more cities early. So early on my strength is usually pretty good.
blixten
posted 07-29-12 06:04 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
I don't believe this has anything to do with your military strength, what I think matters the most when a race offers peace or war is the relation you and that race have with others. Although, when you meet your first race you have no other relations, so then its probably kinda random whether the will ask for peace or war but a bigger chance that races from the same alignment ask for peace and vice versa.

With that in mind, I don't find the scenario that Mac biodiesel describes in his last post very strange. Because when you are at peace with the dwarves(assuming you accepted the peace), it seems natural to me that the orcs and undead declare war on you since you are at peace with a good race, and the same thing goes for the halfings who want to have peace with you for the same reason.

I have probably played more than a hundred scenario games and find this the most probable explanation, though I'm pretty sure there is always a random factor involved as well.
Mac_Biodiesel
posted 08-01-12 09:15 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Blixten, except I didn't ACCEPT the peace offer from the Dwarves. I declared war on them instead. Didn't seem to appease the Orcs and Undead, however.
Barryloves
posted 02-24-13 01:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
I am playing this game for many days.This game is actually war based game.I am also learning from here.Thanks ...

click here

If you ve been hurt, you need a personal injury attorney who will win for you Our attorneys have been winning cases for over 20 years Learn more inside
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames